PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ways to become immortal in Pathfinder

Unbodied
2015-07-28, 02:42 PM
I'm thinking mostly of permanent solutions here not just getting Reincarnation cast on the character.

Ways that I know of:

1. Be a Elan
2. Become a vampire
3. Become a lich
4. Gain 20 levels in Cryptic and chose Eternal Pattern
5. Gain 20 levels in Alchemist and pick potions of youth or something.
6. Gain 20 levels of Wizard and you just get immortality on the side or something? Bloody wizards.

Are there any other methods? Preferably ones that aren't evil.

Hrugner
2015-07-28, 02:52 PM
oracle of time

Aldrakan
2015-07-28, 03:30 PM
Become an Osirion mummy
Be a Shaman of the Heavens, who automatically reincarnates as a "Star Child", whatever the hell that is, when slain (I know you said not reincarnation, but this seems like a different case)

noob
2015-07-28, 03:32 PM
That magical rod of safety who created a dimension in which you do not age then combine it with skin send and you are mostly immortal and can interact with the exterior.

Unbodied
2015-07-28, 03:39 PM
Become an Osirion mummy

I tried googling it but I only got very basic information. Good a decent source for them?

TheIronGolem
2015-07-28, 05:14 PM
Time Oracle 20 gets immortality as well.

Milo v3
2015-07-28, 09:29 PM
Reincarnated Druid - It's reincarnation, but it just automatically happens when you die rather than being a spell people cast on you.
Blood Kineticist capstone
9 Mythic tiers
Longevity mythic path ability

Andreaz
2015-07-28, 09:41 PM
Watchers, Houri and Spring Children are also immortal.
Dwarf-Gargoyle, Elf-Nymph and Elf-Dryad hybrids. The former ages up to venerable and stays there, the latter two never age past adulthood.

Milo v3
2015-07-28, 09:43 PM
Dwarf-Gargoyle, Elf-Nymph and Elf-Dryad hybrids. The former ages up to venerable and stays there, the latter two never age past adulthood.

Do note though that those are third party races that are in a book that intentionally tries to have decently powerful races so that it remains competitive with things like aasimar and humans.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-28, 09:47 PM
20 levels of Monk of the Four Winds is agelessness and automatic reincarnation; is that close enough?

Aldrakan
2015-07-28, 10:36 PM
I tried googling it but I only got very basic information. Good a decent source for them?

Also called the Dune Mummy Template; there's a spell from Osirion, Land of Pharaohs that turns you into one, Canopic Conversion. 9th level, deals massive damage and if it kills you brings you back with the template. It's probably not a good way of becoming immortal, but it is there.

squiggit
2015-07-28, 10:56 PM
6. Gain 20 levels of Wizard and you just get immortality on the side or something? Bloody wizards.

The arcane discovery immortality doesn't actually give you immortality, just removes the negative stats you've gotten from aging.

Arutema
2015-07-29, 12:02 AM
The capstone of the Living Monolith PRC grants it, pity the entrance requirements are very taxy.

Unbodied
2015-07-29, 02:18 AM
20 levels of Monk of the Four Winds is agelessness and automatic reincarnation; is that close enough?
Right on the mark. It hadn't occurred to me to check archetypes. It was really irritating to check out various classes like the Monk or the Dread and see them get so close yet stop just short of the finish line. Especially the monk, they have an ability called freaking Timeless Body and they turn into magical creatures but they don't become immortal? %*&@#!

Not sure if I want to play a Monk though but its a lot closer to what I wanted to play than oracles and stuff. No offense to those who suggested it but I'm already playing a caster type.

I wouldn't have to turn into a undead horror either which is a plus.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-29, 03:17 AM
Ask if you can apply the archetype to the Unchained Monk; it doesn't have Abundant Step to give up, but giving up the 12th level Ki Power is basically the same thing. And the Unchained version looks like much more fun than the vanilla Monk.

Unbodied
2015-07-29, 03:31 AM
Ask if you can apply the archetype to the Unchained Monk; it doesn't have Abundant Step to give up, but giving up the 12th level Ki Power is basically the same thing. And the Unchained version looks like much more fun than the vanilla Monk.
Will do. I can add the Qinggong archetype as well right? Apparently its the awesomesauce of Monk archetypes.

Azoth
2015-07-29, 04:09 AM
If third party is okay, the Martial Tradition for the Unquiet Grave discipline grants immortality from aging. It is found in The Lords of the Night, by Dreamscarred Press.

Here is a link to the play test document. I am not sure what changes if any have been made since it went to print. I haven't had the time/money to order it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e8fEPaiDdxFN2PX4KJ1rd8S4sNQn0GnyLr9tsb8AdCw/mobilebasic

Andreaz
2015-07-29, 08:05 AM
Do note though that those are third party races that are in a book that intentionally tries to have decently powerful races so that it remains competitive with things like aasimar and humans.And mostly they do. I'm fine with that, really. Bloodforge's a good source.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-29, 08:47 AM
Will do. I can add the Qinggong archetype as well right? Apparently its the awesomesauce of Monk archetypes.If your GM is okay with taking archetypes with the Unchained Monk at all, then yes you can and yes it is. Qinggong is super cool because a) it gives you more awesome things to do with your ki pool and b) all its features are optional replacements, so it's compatible with any other archetypes. Me, I like to combine it with Drunken Master for all kinds of drunken ki shenanigans–though unfortunately, Drunken Master and Monk of the Four Winds conflict.

Mind you, the Unchained Monk took a lot of design notes from Qinggong, so it does a lot of the same things anyway, but I'm pretty sure there's still fun to be had.

Milo v3
2015-07-29, 08:55 AM
Cult Master Mesmerists sort of have immortality, if they die, they just takeover their minions bodies.

Psyren
2015-07-29, 09:02 AM
Will do. I can add the Qinggong archetype as well right? Apparently its the awesomesauce of Monk archetypes.

Unchained Monk gets access to all the Qinggong powers, and gets a few of them even earlier than the QM did. For instance, the abundant step Oberon mentioned is level 12 for the regular and QM monk, but the unchained monk gets it at 8.

The problem is that all their other ki powers compete for those same slots, and they don't have "Extra Ki Power" yet, so you have only 9 over your entire career and many good options to choose from.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-29, 09:08 AM
Note that the 9th tier mythic ability probably wouldn't save you from aging; it only works when you are 'killed', and I believe multiple game sources draw a line between dying because of old age and something else killing you.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-29, 09:13 AM
Oh dang, Psyren, you're right; I totally missed that one of the Unchained Monk's ki power options lets you get a Qinggong ki power. That's cool!

Milo v3
2015-07-29, 09:15 AM
Note that the 9th tier mythic ability probably wouldn't save you from aging; it only works when you are 'killed', and I believe multiple game sources draw a line between dying because of old age and something else killing you.

I'd normally agree, but it says "regardless of the condition of your body or the means by which you were killed". So I think it still works.

Psyren
2015-07-29, 09:38 AM
Oh dang, Psyren, you're right; I totally missed that one of the Unchained Monk's ki power options lets you get a Qinggong ki power. That's cool!

Note also that for the "class feature" qinggong powers, it's really unclear whether you're getting the original version of that power of the unchained version, and whether the ki cost given is to use the ability or just to switch it on. For instance, Unchained Quivering Palm costs 4 ki, while Qinggong Quivering Palm costs 2 - if they are the exact same ability, then there is no reason to take the Ki Power version over the Qinggong Power version. But if the Qinggong version is the old version, it can only be used 1/day. Or if the 2 ki Qinggong version is just an "activation cost" and then you have to spend 4 ki to use it, there is no reason to take the Qinggong version etc. It's all kinda confusing.

Milo v3
2015-07-29, 09:41 AM
Note also that for the "class feature" qinggong powers, it's really unclear whether you're getting the original version of that power of the unchained version, and whether the ki cost given is to use the ability or just to switch it on. For instance, Unchained Quivering Palm costs 4 ki, while Qinggong Quivering Palm costs 2 - if they are the exact same ability, then there is no reason to take the Ki Power version over the Qinggong Power version. But if the Qinggong version is the old version, it can only be used 1/day. Or if the 2 ki Qinggong version is just an "activation cost" and then you have to spend 4 ki to use it, there is no reason to take the Qinggong version etc. It's all kinda confusing.

Dev's have stated you get the unchained version with unchained monk if you take it via qinggong.

Unbodied
2015-07-29, 09:48 AM
What are we talking about here?

Milo v3
2015-07-29, 09:51 AM

The mythic ability I mentioned above, where once you reach 9th tier you get hard to bypass immortality.

Psyren
2015-07-29, 09:52 AM
Dev's have stated you get the unchained version with unchained monk if you take it via qinggong.

Did they clear up the cost? Is it to actually use the ability, or just to gain the chance to use it?

Qinggong Slow Fall for instance costs 0 ki while Ki Power Slow Fall costs 1 ki (i.e. there's no reason not to take the Qinggong version), and I mentioned the Quivering Palm discrepancy above as well.

He means this mythic ability. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-heroes#TOC-Immortal-Su-)

Milo v3
2015-07-29, 09:55 AM
Did they clear up the cost? Is it to actually use the ability, or just to gain the chance to use it?

Qinggong Slow Fall for instance costs 0 ki while Ki Power Slow Fall costs 1 ki (i.e. there's no reason not to take the Qinggong version), and I mentioned the Quivering Palm discrepancy above as well.
Iirc, it costs whatever the unchained version costs. Making it a redundancy.

Unbodied
2015-07-29, 11:07 AM
The mythic ability I mentioned above, where once you reach 9th tier you get hard to bypass immortality.

He means this mythic ability. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-heroes#TOC-Immortal-Su-)
Ah okay well that isn't a problem then. I was thinking of going with the Monk of Four Winds anyway. Not sure if I'm going to use Unchained or not. I don't want to add extra complications.

Are there any Unchained Monk guides?

Psyren
2015-07-29, 11:14 AM
Ah okay well that isn't a problem then. I was thinking of going with the Monk of Four Winds anyway. Not sure if I'm going to use Unchained or not. I don't want to add extra complications.

Are there any Unchained Monk guides?

I may or may not be writing one.

*shifty eyes*

I would say that regular monk is the more complicated one personally, because you need archetype-stacking and careful item choice to get it out of T5. All Unchained Monk needs is ki, ki, ki.

Unbodied
2015-07-29, 12:55 PM

*shifty eyes*

I would say that regular monk is the more complicated one personally, because you need archetype-stacking and careful item choice to get it out of T5. All Unchained Monk needs is ki, ki, ki.
I guess I could print the Unchained Monk rules so that I have them on hand...

Do these character sheets mesh with the Unchained Monk or does it change things so that stuff listed there becomes wrong?

Edit:

I can't find the Watchers. The Houri you linked say nothing about being immortal and the Spring Children explicitly die of old age even if they look young.

Psyren
2015-07-29, 02:28 PM
Do these character sheets mesh with the Unchained Monk or does it change things so that stuff listed there becomes wrong?

"These character sheets?" Which ones do you mean?

The standard PF sheet or Myth-weavers works fine.

Sheogoroth
2015-07-29, 02:51 PM
The godling base classes all have a "divine-trait" tree that allows immortality by level 10-ish.

MonkeySage
2015-07-29, 02:54 PM
High ranking mythic characters can pretty much become true immortals- Virtually unkillable with godlike powers.

Dysart
2015-07-29, 03:05 PM
Isn't there something about Outsiders not aging?
Sure I've heard something about that on this forum.

If that's the case, change your home 'realm' to another and off you go?

MonkeySage
2015-07-29, 03:06 PM
Outsiders don't age, and can be hard to kill outside their home plane... But certain outsiders see being killed outside their home plane as a fate worse than death: Devils and demons both face demotion to lesser forms.

Dysart
2015-07-29, 03:10 PM
Outsiders don't age, and can be hard to kill outside their home plane... But certain outsiders see being killed outside their home plane as a fate worse than death: Devils and demons both face demotion to lesser forms.

So really ways to become immortal are as simple as ways to become an outsider.

Unbodied
2015-07-29, 03:16 PM
"These character sheets?" Which ones do you mean?

The standard PF sheet or Myth-weavers works fine.X__X

Can't believe I forgot the link
http://charactersheets.minotaur.cc/build/pathfinder

I haven't had the chance to try these out yet but they seem really convenient since they help keep track of all the various class features and the formula they work with.

So really ways to become immortal are as simple as ways to become an outsider.
I don't think that applies to Outsider: Native which seems to be what you turn into with various classes.

JohnADreams
2015-07-29, 06:00 PM
The Samsaran race has automatic reincarnation upon death.

"A samsaran's life is not a linear progression from birth to death, but rather a circle of birth to death to rebirth. Whenever a samsaran dies, it reincarnates anew as a young samsaran to live a new life." (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-samsaran)

But they seem to not have absolute memory of past lives and each new life seems to be a slightly different person.

Milo v3
2015-07-29, 06:10 PM

*shifty eyes*

Ki is also now sooo much easier to get in a gesalt with occult adventures... that magus archetype's pool working as ki would be rather useful.

I can't find the Watchers. The Houri you linked say nothing about being immortal and the Spring Children explicitly die of old age even if they look young.
What were you reading? The Houri and Spring Children have this ability: "Ageless (Ex): A houri/spring child does not experience any of the benefits or penalties of aging beyond adulthood and is effectively immortal, never dying of old age."

Arbane
2015-07-29, 09:00 PM
The arcane discovery immortality doesn't actually give you immortality, just removes the negative stats you've gotten from aging.

How do you figure that?

You discover a cure for aging, and from this point forward you take no penalty to your physical ability scores from advanced age. If you are already taking such penalties, they are removed at this time. This is an extraordinary ability.

A 'cure' seems to imply you don't, you know, DIE from it. And it's not called "Leave a Good-Looking Corpse".

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-29, 09:55 PM
Blood Kineticist from the new book also is immortal at level 20.

Unbodied
2015-07-30, 03:13 AM
What were you reading? The Houri and Spring Children have this ability: "Ageless (Ex): A houri/spring child does not experience any of the benefits or penalties of aging beyond adulthood and is effectively immortal, never dying of old age."At the end of herlife,aspringchildsimplydiesinher sleep,her hairchanging to its winter color- ationregardlessof theseason.

http://www.dragonarmyone.com/Home/index/fantasy-house-rules/character-creation2/races/races-with-level-adj/spring-child

So many typos. ×_×

http://alchemyprime.net/post/34783294274/pathfinder-race-the-houri

No agelessness here.

You know we're talking about Pathfinder right?

Milo v3
2015-07-30, 03:15 AM
At the end of herlife,aspringchildsimplydiesinher sleep,her hairchanging to its winter color- ationregardlessof theseason.

http://www.dragonarmyone.com/Home/index/fantasy-house-rules/character-creation2/races/races-with-level-adj/spring-child

So many typos. ×_×

http://alchemyprime.net/post/34783294274/pathfinder-race-the-houri

No agelessness here.

You know we're talking about Pathfinder right?

We're talking about the Houri and Spring Child from Bloodforge not those sites.

Unbodied
2015-07-30, 03:29 AM
We're talking about the Houri and Spring Child from Bloodforge not those sites.

Provide a link then.

Milo v3
2015-07-30, 03:37 AM
Provide a link then.

Link (http://paizo.com/products/btpy98a1?Bloodforge). WHITETEXT

Unbodied
2015-07-30, 05:57 AM
Link (http://paizo.com/products/btpy98a1?Bloodforge). WHITETEXT

So in other words you don't know about any online sources that can be used and its completely useless to people who haven't bought that book.

Milo v3
2015-07-30, 06:04 AM
So in other words you don't know about any online sources that can be used and its completely useless to people who haven't bought that book.

I don't really understand why you're being aggressive. It's not my fault if people haven't put the contents of a book free on the internet. Someone said that those races have immortality, and when you asked questions about those races I answered them.

Grim Reader
2015-07-30, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't really bother with that book. Sorry. I know people who post here worked on it, but I bought it because Dreamscarred has had some good supplements and was badly disappointed.

Unbodied
2015-07-30, 09:54 AM
I don't really understand why you're being aggressive. It's not my fault if people haven't put the contents of a book free on the internet. Someone said that those races have immortality, and when you asked questions about those races I answered them.
I'm sorry for being snippish. I would have prefered if you just said that you didn’t know of any online sources though.

Better that than give a link to a product thats locked behind a paywall.