PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Vampire Player Race - [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2015-07-28, 03:09 PM
Vampire

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
Age. Vampires appear the age that their mortal body was when it was turned.
Alignment. Vampires tend towards evil, even if all of them don't end up here. They hold themselves to a strict set of personal codes and vampiric traditions.
Size. Vampires are the size of their original body. Your size is Small or Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light as if it were bright light for 60 feet, and in darkness as if it was dim light. You cannot perceive color, only shades of grey.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdome (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or what you are trying to perceive are in direct sunlight.
Fangs in the Night. You have a natural bite attack that deals 1d8 piercing damage. If the target is not resistant to necrotic damage, or undead, you may regain hit points equal to half of your Constitution modifier rounding up.
Living Dead. You have resistance to necrotic damage. You are vulnerable to acid damage.
The Blood of Your Enemies. At the end of a battle, roll a d20. If you roll a number equal to your character level, or lower, you may drink the blood of your enemies to regain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier x the amount of enemies you killed in the combat.
Eternal Hunger. If you do not drink blood at least once a week, you incur one level of exhaustion.
Fanged Accursed. You know the cantrip chill touch. At 3rd level you may cast false life once per long rest. At 5th level you may cast vampiric touch once per long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Ralanr
2015-07-28, 03:20 PM
So I take it the person gains no abilities from their previous race.

DracoKnight
2015-07-28, 03:23 PM
So I take it the person gains no abilities from their previous race.

That is the case. The previous race is purely for aesthetic.

Rfkannen
2015-07-28, 03:24 PM
Seems pretty good! Personaly blood of your enemies isnt my thing, but it is fine enough, the race seems pretty good. If you are looking for suggestions, I would replace blood of your enemies with 2 abilities. One that gives a bite (I mean it's a vampire for petes sake!) and some other mostly flavor ability. the healing is an important trope though, so I am not sure how I would handle it. Maybe give the bite a heal factor? That sounds hard to balance though.

Eh it realy depends on what you want out of a vampire, there are numerous ways to take it.

edit; actualy now that I think about it this race is pretty weak. Throw in a 1d8 bite attack or something and it would be balanced. Or at least some other feature, a lot weaker than drow (closest race) so far.

also might be diffrent in your world (and if it is just ignore this), but most vampires need blood to live, so I would add something about that.

DracoKnight
2015-07-28, 03:31 PM
Updated the OP.

Ralanr
2015-07-28, 05:26 PM
That is the case. The previous race is purely for aesthetic.

Ok. I've noticed that's always the route people go with a race for vampire. I've always found it a bit odd.

DracoKnight
2015-07-28, 05:30 PM
Ok. I've noticed that's always the route people go with a race for vampire. I've always found it a bit odd.

The only alternative I could think of would be to allow them to grab one trait from their original race. But I see too many potential abuses :P

DracoKnight
2015-07-31, 10:59 AM
Any other thoughts?

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-12, 12:55 PM
As a race, it seems fairly balanced at low levels. The only concern I have is that it doesn't seem like it scales at all - a low level vampire gets some cool tricks to keep his hitpoint pool topped off, but it's virtually worthless for high level vampires.

Also, the emphasis on high CON and melee attacks seems like it synergizes well with barbarians which seems...odd for a vampire.

Michael7123
2015-08-12, 01:57 PM
I really like this class..... And I kinda want to play a vampire dread necromancer (homebrew of my own) now.

DracoKnight
2015-08-12, 04:13 PM
The only concern I have is that it doesn't seem like it scales at all - a low level vampire gets some cool tricks to keep his hitpoint pool topped off, but it's virtually worthless for high level vampires.

What would you give it? I considered some racial spellcasting. Maybe Chill Touch, False Life/Armor of Agathys, Vampiric Touch?

Michael7123
2015-08-12, 04:45 PM
What would you give it? I considered some racial spellcasting. Maybe Chill Touch, False Life/Armor of Agathys, Vampiric Touch?

I'd go with chill touch, false life, then vampiric touch.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-08-18, 02:36 AM
This is fairly well balanced and looks like it would be fun to play :D