PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Fighter Fix (still in the works)

sammyp03
2015-07-28, 04:05 PM
This is my Attempt to fix the fighter. Keep in my this is just a rough draft and is subject to change if people provide some awesome suggestions (which i know they will)

I really liked what 5e did with the fighter, I also really enjoyed the attempt of tome of battle. I tried to sort of take bits and pieces of every fighter fix I have read and tried to not only make it interesting, but viable going into the higher levels of play.

Class Features
As a Fighter, you gain the following class features.
Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: 1d10 + Con per Fighter level
Proficiencies: All Armor (Heavy, Medium, Light) all Shields (Including Tower Shields) and with Simple and Martial Weapons.

Fighters gain bonus feats at every even level.
Mettle -
You can delay the effects of negative conditions. At 5th level, once per day, you can delay a spell, spell like ability, or extraordinary ability for a number of rounds equal to the relevant ability modifier. (con for fortitude save, Wisdom for Will)
At 10th level, you may add 1d4 to the number of rounds.

Combat Supremacy
At First Level, you gain special points called Combat points. These Points represent your training and allow you to perform special abilities called Combat Techniques.

Techniques - You learn 3 techniques of your choice, which are detailed below. Many techniques enhance your attack in some way. You can only use one Technique per turn. These techniques DO NOT provoke attacks of Opportunity upon activation.
You learn two additional techniques at 4th 7th, 10th, and 15th level. Each time you learn a new Technique, you can replace the ones you already know with a different one.

Stamina Points - Your techniques require you to spend special points to activate them. You have 4 Stamina Points + Intelligence modifier at first level. You regain all Points if you rest for at least 1 hour.
At 8th level, your Combat points may be used for each encounter.
You gain an Additional Point at 7th, and 15th level.
Combat Dice - Some of the techniques may allow you to add special dice to your rolls. You have 1 Combat Die which is a d4. A Combat Die is expended when you use them for techniques. You regain all Combat Dice when you take a short or long rest.
You gain an Additional Die at 7th, and 15th level.

Saving Throws -
Some of your techniques require a saving throw from your target. This DC is calculated as 10+½ fighter level (min 1) + designated ability modifier

Improved Combat Supremacy
At 10th level, your combat die turn into 2d6. At 18th level, they turn into 3d6’s

Techniques
These techniques are presented in alphabetical order.

Battle Focus-
You may add your combat die to your attack roll.
at 8th level, you may add 1 combat die to all rolls. At 15th level, you may add 1 combat die to attack and all to damage.

Coils of the Snake
You gain a +2 bonus to a grapple check
made this round.
at 8th level, you may add 1 Combat die to the roll as well. At 15th level, the bonus is +4.

Counter Strike
You may ready an action to counter strike your opponent. Make a concentration check against the targets AC, if successful, you roll damage normally but take none.

Dead Aim
You make spot check against the targets AC, If successful, you may ignore their cover for that round.

Deadly Charge
You gain a +2 damage bonus to the single
attack you make at the end of a charge
action.
This improves to +4 at 8th level, and at 15th level, you may add all combat dice to damage.

Defensive Focus
You gain a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class
this round. You must use this at the end of your turn, It lasts until the start of your next turn.
This improves to +2 at 8th level, and +4 at 15th.

Disarming Strike
You gain a +2 bonus to disarm attempts
made this round. Use this rite at any time
during the round.
This improves to +4 at 8th level, and +6 at 15th.

*Distracting Strike
- You can spend a Combat Point to distract an opponent. You must roll a Bluff check. If the check succeeds then the Opponent is distracted. A distracted opponent cannot make AoO against creatures who move through its threatened squares.

Dodge Roll
Make a tumble check, if successful, you can tumble up to half your movement and your opponent is flat footed against your next attack.

Lunging strike - You may spend a Combat point to add 5ft of reach to your next attack. You take a -2 to AC after an attack is made 5ft beyond your normal reach and are treated as flat footed for 1 round. Attacks of Opportunity may be triggered this way.

Opportunistic Assault
If a foe is flanked, even if not by you, you
gain a +2 combat bonus to your attack
rolls against the opponent this round. Use
this at the beginning of your turn.

Overpowering Attack

Rhino Charge
You gain a +2 bonus to bull rush attempts made this round. This improves to +4 at 8th level, and at 15th level, you may add a Combat Die to the attack roll and all to damage.

Riposite -
If an enemy misses all attacks against you in a round, you may spend a Combat Point to gain an attack of opportunity. This counts as your attack of opportunity for the round. You may only makes additional AoO if you have combat reflexes or a similar class feature.
At 8th level you may add the all Combat dies to damage
At 12 level you may Add 1 Combat die to your attack roll. And all to damage.

Speed of the Wind
You gain a bonus of +10 feet to your
ground speed (or flying speed, if you have
wings) this round. Use this at the beginning of your turn.

Stunning Strike
Expend one Combat Point and on your next successful attack, you have a chance to cause stun your opponent for 1 round. Fort Save negates this effect.

Take Down
You gain a +2 bonus to trip attempts made this round. Use this rite at any time during the round. This improves to +4 at 8th level, and +6 at 15th.

Tell me what you think !

Note* I am still working on adding different techniques and/ or rebalancing some of them.