PDA

View Full Version : (3.P) Self-Burning Super Form?

Enran
2015-07-28, 07:16 PM
I was looking for ways to thematically do the whole "dangerous/uncontrollable super form" thing, and I thought it would be cool if there was a way to efficiently turn some sort of self-sacrifice into bonuses or something? Like, taking ability damage and each point or few points giving really big bonuses and temporary immunities... Or something along those lines. Any good suggestions?

frogglesmash
2015-07-28, 08:57 PM
Isn't there a spell that makes you nigh on invincible for the duration, but kills you when it ends? I think it might be a wu jen spell and I'm pretty sure there's a "phoenix" in the name.

Milo v3
2015-07-28, 09:21 PM
Kineticist can sort of do this, they can do more powerful effects if they take burn which deals non-lethal damage and slowly warps their body into their element making them more powerful (increased ability scores and more damage type stuff), but weaker at the same time (since they are closer to passing out from the strain).

paperarmor
2015-07-28, 09:48 PM
Isn't there a spell that makes you nigh on invincible for the duration, but kills you when it ends? I think it might be a wu jen spell and I'm pretty sure there's a "phoenix" in the name.

You've got two things mixed up. There is a Wu Jen spell that does that. The Phoenix thing is from the Emerald Immolation ability of the Jade Phoenix Mage from ToB which kills you, does a fairly large amount of damage, and brings you back I think 1d4 days later.

gorfnab
2015-07-29, 12:49 AM
You've got two things mixed up. There is a Wu Jen spell that does that. The Phoenix thing is from the Emerald Immolation ability of the Jade Phoenix Mage from ToB which kills you, does a fairly large amount of damage, and brings you back I think 1d4 days later.
The Wu Jen spell you're looking for is Transcend Mortality (CM).

Basically you cast Transcend Mortality and then right before the duration ends you activate Emerald Immolation.

torrasque666
2015-07-29, 12:59 AM
I was looking for ways to thematically do the whole "dangerous/uncontrollable super form" thing, and I thought it would be cool if there was a way to efficiently turn some sort of self-sacrifice into bonuses or something? Like, taking ability damage and each point or few points giving really big bonuses and temporary immunities... Or something along those lines. Any good suggestions?
You could take the Body Fuel Feat and just keep using it until you die.

Enran
2015-07-29, 01:09 AM
You could take the Body Fuel Feat and just keep using it until you die.

... How does that buff you in any way? I mean, I guess it can give you another round or two of novaing? *shrug*

Transcend Mortality is awesome, but not what I'm looking for, at least not by itself. (Also, it's a little hard to work with, as it's a class-specific 9th-level spell.)

The Random NPC
2015-07-29, 01:29 AM

There's a Barbarian archetype that recharges rage rounds if you take fire damage. If you have a stable source of fire damage and healing, you can Rage forever.

Enran
2015-07-29, 01:34 AM
There's a Barbarian archetype that recharges rage rounds if you take fire damage. If you have a stable source of fire damage and healing, you can Rage forever.

Healing? What do I look like, Belkar? I can't let go of the battle damaged look :smalltongue: This does seem like a pretty interesting idea, though I wonder if that would work for Frenzying...

The Random NPC
2015-07-29, 11:53 AM
Healing? What do I look like, Belkar? I can't let go of the battle damaged look :smalltongue: This does seem like a pretty interesting idea, though I wonder if that would work for Frenzying...

Yes, but you get to run around, perpetually angry and ON FIRE.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-29, 12:16 PM
I would say Frenzied Berserker would be a great choice, but you're not really sacrificing yourself as much as your teammates. But hey, it is a pretty "super" form!

Maybe Jade Phoenix Mage's capstone? I'm away from my books, but that's sort of a self immolation thing.

Urpriest
2015-07-29, 12:30 PM
There's also Hellfire Warlock, for completeness.