PDA

View Full Version : Cats eating lemongrass (gardening)

Togath
2015-07-28, 08:57 PM
I've been trying to grow lemongrass for about two months, but am having trouble with one of my cats chewing on the leaves and stems... Anyone have advice?
I've been trying to grow it indoors, in a pot, since the winters here are too harsh for it. So I can move it if needed... But it's already struggling from damage, and I'm worried less light(it's on a windowsill currently) might kill it.

Razade
2015-07-28, 09:38 PM
Cover them in mustard oil? I'm not sure if it'll be good for the plant but it should stop them from eating it.

Winter_Wolf
2015-08-01, 09:37 AM
I can't really be helpful, but I'm curious, does lemongrass have properties like catnip or is it just something your cat finds tasty? Also beware cultivating weird food habits by putting "yucky stuff" on things you don't want your pet chewing, I tried to discourage my dog from chewing on something by smearing hot wasabi on it. She developed a taste for it in less than a week. :smallsigh: Previously she'd spit out anything with even a hint of wasabi flavor, such as if we'd been making sushi then forgot to wash our hands before picking up a toy or giving her a doggie treat.

absurd as it is, maybe you could put the plant inside a clear plastic tube/container so it still gets sun but the cat can't get at it? I suspect if it's at all like other cats it'll just knock the whole thong thing onto the floor, because cat.

Alent
2015-08-01, 01:17 PM
Get a cheap birdcage to put the lemongrass in, hang it from the top of the window?