PDA

View Full Version : Is This Encounter Understandable?

Dralnu
2015-07-28, 10:28 PM
This is for an upcoming free adventure. I have a sweet idea in my head but I had some difficulty wording it. Please help me out by telling me if you, as a potential DM, could read this and understand what's happening and in turn convey it to your players. Or if you have suggestions on making this encounter clearer!

7. SOUTHERN CHASM
The arcane fire that ravaged Rune’s Hollow during the Unravelling left two gaping chasms deep in the mountain, this one and the chasm in area 9. The Myststone's influence crystallized the fire into what is now called azureflame crystals, which are embedded in the chasm’s walls.

A dim blue glow emanates up ahead from beyond the tunnel. You hear the distinct clanging of numerous pickaxes echoing in the distance. As you reach the end of the tunnel, you're confronted with a vast chasm that stretches 100 feet wide, with a steep drop that swallowed up by the darkness. Sprinkled over the chasm’s walls are glowing blue crystals, twinkling softly with an inner flame, like blue stars in a night sky.
Hanging by the edge of the tunnel in front of you is a wooden cube suspended by thick iron chains by its four corners, hanging from a ceiling 30 feet above that is completely covered by a mess of strange metal gears and rails. The cube’s 20 foot top surface hangs at the same height as tunnel’s floor, allowing you to step on to it easily. Four iron levers are bolted on to the cube’s top surface. All along the chasm's walls are more of these wooden cubes suspended at various heights, with small reptilian humanoids standing atop them, chipping away at the blue crystals with pickaxes and loading the gems into the cube’s hollow interior. Across the chasm, 10 feet down and 20 feet to the left, is another tunnel.

USING THE CUBES
The cubes are used by the kobolds to access the azureflame crystals embedded into the chasm walls. Each cube has four mechanical levers, one to go up/down, left/right, forward/back, and a final lever raises the sides of the cube for easy access of the cube's interior. Only one lever can be used at a time; the others are locked in place during use. When a lever is pulled, the cube moves in the corresponding direction 10 feet per round (six seconds). The metal cogs and gears on the ceiling grind and click as the iron chains suspending the cube moves it along. The adventurers can use this cube to traverse the chasm and get to the tunnel on the other side.

The cubes are hollow: a trapdoor on its top side allows access to the interior of the cube, which is used to transport the crystals being mined on the chasm walls. A rope ladder descends from the trapdoor down to the cube's bottom. Characters checking inside the interior notice the glowing remnants of azureflame crystals: three thumb-sized crystals (see Appendix A) can be collected here.

WORKING MINERS
These hollow cubes are loaded up with azureflame crystals as the kobolds chip them off the walls for easy transportation up to the main tunnel, where the crystals are then loaded into mining carts and transported to the assayer’s office near the mine’s entrance. There are about fifteen kobolds working here at a time, mining the azureflame crystals and transporting them up to the main tunnel.

Observant characters watching the workers for a while can piece together their regular routine:
1. Using the levers, the kobolds move their wooden cubes from tunnel entrances to a patch of azureflame crystals embedded along the chasm walls.
2. The workers mine the azureflame crystals, dropping them inside the cube through the trapdoor.
3. Once the cube is filled, the kobolds use the levers again to move the cube back to the tunnel, raising the side of the cube while other workers inside the tunnel unload the crystals. Then the process begins again.

CAUGHT UNAWARE
If the alarm is not raised, they focus all attention on their work. Their work distracts them from spotting any characters snooping about, dropping their passive Perception down to 6. As long as the adventurers make some attempt to conceal themselves and don’t cause a commotion, they should pass by unnoticed.

READY FOR ACTION
If the kobolds spot the PCs traveling on a cube, they raise the alarm if it isn’t already raised and engage in battle. Below is an idea of how the battle plays out, but you may need to modify things based on the party's previous actions:

Round 1: Six kobold miners on two nearby cubes (three on each) move their cubes on an intercept course to the party, attacking the characters with their slings as they close the distance.
Round 2: Two winged kobolds stationed at the tunnel entrance fly over to the party, throwing rocks and engaging in melee to trigger Pack Tactics for their allies.
Round 3: Two more winged kobolds arrive from Area 6 carrying a rust monster and with the intent of dropping the monster on the PC’s cube before engaging in melee. The half-starved rust monster immediately goes to consume the iron chains; its hunger makes it hell-bent on feeding using its Antennae attack. Two hits of the Antennae attack destroys an iron chain: if that happens, each creature standing atop the cube must make a DC 10 Dexterity check or fall prone and slide five feet towards the direction of the broken chain; movement on the cube becomes difficult terrain. Any subsequent destroyed chain requires another Dexterity check, the DC going up an additional 2 each time. If all four chains are destroyed, the cube drops 60 feet to the waters below, dealing 6d6 falling damage to anyone still on the cube; this damage can be mitigated by making an Athletics or Acrobatics check (character's choice) and subtracting the total damage by the result of the check as the character manages to land in the water to mitigate damage.
Round 4: Two more winged kobolds arrive from Area 6 carrying a rust monster; same as Round 3.

DEVELOPMENTS
The chasm goes down sixty feet to an underground stream at the bottom. Characters searching the waters can make an Intelligence (Investigation) check to look for anything of note amongst the underwater rubble: a result of 12 or more finds a narrow underwater tunnel (FILL IN LATER); a result of 15 or more additionally finds (INSERT TREASURE HERE).

A big wooden cube serves as a platform for the PCs to get across a big chasm. If the alarm isn't raised and they aren't spotted, they can pass by without issue. If they're spotted, combat can happen on the cube, rust monsters are dropped to eat the chain holding up the cube and plunge the PCs to their death.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-29, 01:20 AM
I'm confident I can picture all that in my head. Having played plenty of JRPGs, I'm comfortable around things that look like block puzzles.

Will any of the PCs have access to flight by this point? It would be a massive benefit to them.

If I were a PC, the first thing I'd want to know is: is the first box loaded with gems? Is there a lever to dump them out?

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2015-07-29, 03:06 AM
The encounter is relatively easy to grasp, but by plummet to their death do you mean instant tpk. Because if that's the case you should emphasize the fact that the cube isn't there for aesthetic purposes

Furthermore Ninja Prawn was right, if I had flight I would wait for the enemiest to all be on the cube and break the suspension myself. Assuming a pit of lava isn't directly below, feather fall and spider climb are bothe ways to flip this encounter off at lower levels.

Astovidas
2015-07-29, 03:26 AM
I like your idea and I think it is understandable. But I have some (minor) problems/questions/issues. :)

1. "a cube-shaped platform" I don't know if this is just me (I'm not a native English speaker) but, a platform is something flat, two dimensional. A cube on the other hand is three dimensional. For me it sounds like "a round square". I would just write "a wooden cube" or "box"

2. "The cube’s 20 foot top surface" What exactly do you mean? 20 foot by 20 foot? and why is it 20 foot? It seems to me, that it should be 10by10 foot. they move 10 foot, it is 10 foot too high for the other exit and (a bit meta) a square normally is 10 foot (or 5..ok..:smallbiggrin:)

3. "The cube’s 20 foot top surface hangs at a parallel height as the tunnel’s floor" I had some difficulties to understand this one... I think it would be better, if you write: "at the same height as the tunnel’s floor" but maybe this is just me.. :D

4. "suspended by thick iron chains in its center" If the chains are in the center of the platform/cube, wouldn't that make it very unstable? (or is this on purpose?) I would attach the Chains to each corner of the platform.

5. How do the kobolds fill the cubes? is there a hole in the top of it? or is the top just a grid, so that the crystals can fall through it?

6. "There are about fifteen kobolds working here at a time" But in your calculation you have only 3 normal kobolds attacking them. what are the other kobolds doing? are they trying to move their cubes in the way of the characters? or next to them, so they can "board" them? Why do you have 3 winged kobolds? 1 is in the cave at the beginning and the other two arrive with the rustmonster? Speaking of; where is the second rustmonster, that you have in your calculation?

Maybe it would be better, to make a turn by turn description:
Turn 1: the kobolds spot the characters and raise alarm. Some of the kobolds ready their slings
Turn 2: 1 kobold enforcer flies to the platform of the characters and tries to shove them off the platform, destroy their levers, or just fights against them in melee. 3 kobolds attack with slings. 2 Boxes move 10feet closer to the characters.
Turn 3: the enforcers from Area 6 arrive and drop the rustmonster. kobolds keep attacking with slings.

Sorry for all the criticism. But as said in the beginning; I really like your idea. :) I can imagine a nice chase/fight encounter. And the characters have their hands full to fend off the rust monster, while being under fire by the kobolds, who will use their boxes to gain a height advantage to have some cover from the characters and have advantage on their attacks. The two rustmonsters could attack two chains at a time, so that the cube will tilt to one side (if the chains are attached to the corners instead of the center) or one could attack the levers to control the cube. :) A Fighter/Barbarian PC could try to grapple and throw the rustmonster onto another platform. :smallbiggrin: A Kobold enforcer could try to jam the gears and/or rail at the ceiling to block the players.
As you can see, I think there is a lot of potential in this encounter. So please send me a link to the finished adventure! I'd love to look through it!
Hope this helps!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-29, 03:29 AM
The encounter is relatively easy to grasp, but by plummet to their death do you mean instant tpk. Because if that's the case you should emphasize the fact that the cube isn't there for aesthetic purposes

He says 60 foot drop, onto (I assume) stone. That's 6d6 (average 21) damage. Hard, but eminently survivable, even without Feather Fall or being a monk.

Astovidas
2015-07-29, 03:44 AM
He says 60 foot drop, onto (I assume) stone. That's 6d6 (average 21) damage. Hard, but eminently survivable, even without Feather Fall or being a monk.

Well it depends what level the party is and what classes. Since Dralnu said, that 1062XP was a hard Encounter and assuming there are 4 PCs, they are at 3rd level. 21 damage for a 3rd level Wizard or Sorcerer is pretty much lights out. The slow fall ability of the monks don't kick in until lvl 4, so I don't expect them to have that. Of course, fighters and barbarians should survive the fall, if they aren't hurt too bad already. But it is still a really dangerous situation.

@Dralnu: is there a possibility to exit the cave, if you fall to its bottom (without spiderclimb, flight, etc)? or are they just trapped?

Dralnu
2015-07-29, 12:31 PM
I'm confident I can picture all that in my head. Having played plenty of JRPGs, I'm comfortable around things that look like block puzzles.

Excellent! This is the most complex thing I've written so I need to make sure before publishing.

Will any of the PCs have access to flight by this point? It would be a massive benefit to them.

Possibly. I haven't decided on a level yet.

The first time I ran this dungeon was with two lvl 6 characters, a Champion and Shadow Monk. They quickly triggered the alarm and battled their way across the chasm, with the monk teleporting atop flying kobolds and other cubes to take out archers. They ended up jumping on to another cube and destroying their original cube's chain, dropping all their enemies to their doom.

The second time I redesigned it for new D&D players: five lvl 1's. They snuck past the chasm without any issue, but ended up triggering the alarm later. They'll probably pass through the chasm again on their way out, which means they're likely to trigger the combat unless they take special precautions.

If I were a PC, the first thing I'd want to know is: is the first box loaded with gems? Is there a lever to dump them out?

Definitely. Both parties decided they wanted to hide inside the cube. The first run they captured a kobold and told it to operate the cube while they hid inside (it backfired); the second time one party member disguised as a kobold operated the cube while the rest hid inside.

The first run I added a trapdoor on top of the cube to access the interior. The second time I added a lever that raises one side of the cube, so you could dock the cube adjacent a tunnel and easily unload the cargo. I think the latter is more practical.

Thank you for the questions!

Hmm. Perhaps I can add an underground river that can soften the fall.

Furthermore Ninja Prawn was right, if I had flight I would wait for the enemiest to all be on the cube and break the suspension myself. Assuming a pit of lava isn't directly below, feather fall and spider climb are bothe ways to flip this encounter off at lower levels.

I love when people are creative like that! As a DM I'd be thrilled if you did that.

I like your idea and I think it is understandable. But I have some (minor) problems/questions/issues. :)

1. "a cube-shaped platform" I don't know if this is just me (I'm not a native English speaker) but, a platform is something flat, two dimensional. A cube on the other hand is three dimensional. For me it sounds like "a round square". I would just write "a wooden cube" or "box"

I used the word "platform" to indicate that you can stand on top of the cube. But if that makes it more confusing then I'll remove that word.

2. "The cube’s 20 foot top surface" What exactly do you mean? 20 foot by 20 foot? and why is it 20 foot? It seems to me, that it should be 10by10 foot. they move 10 foot, it is 10 foot too high for the other exit and (a bit meta) a square normally is 10 foot (or 5..ok..:smallbiggrin:)

I picked 20x20 so there's enough room for the battle to happen on top of it, with kobolds and rust monsters dropping in. 10x10 would be too crowded to do that.

For reference, the encounter is inspired by God of War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjtde3kbrCM&t=2m46s

3. "The cube’s 20 foot top surface hangs at a parallel height as the tunnel’s floor" I had some difficulties to understand this one... I think it would be better, if you write: "at the same height as the tunnel’s floor" but maybe this is just me.. :D

Agreed. Changing!

4. "suspended by thick iron chains in its center" If the chains are in the center of the platform/cube, wouldn't that make it very unstable? (or is this on purpose?) I would attach the Chains to each corner of the platform.

Hmmm.. this might needed changing, yeah.

5. How do the kobolds fill the cubes? is there a hole in the top of it? or is the top just a grid, so that the crystals can fall through it?

There's a trapdoor that I neglected to add that the kobolds dump the crystals into. Then I'll add a way to raise the side of the cube, so they can "dock" at a tunnel, raise the cube's side, and easily unload the cargo.

6. "There are about fifteen kobolds working here at a time" But in your calculation you have only 3 normal kobolds attacking them. what are the other kobolds doing? are they trying to move their cubes in the way of the characters? or next to them, so they can "board" them? Why do you have 3 winged kobolds? 1 is in the cave at the beginning and the other two arrive with the rustmonster? Speaking of; where is the second rustmonster, that you have in your calculation?

Maybe it would be better, to make a turn by turn description:
Turn 1: the kobolds spot the characters and raise alarm. Some of the kobolds ready their slings
Turn 2: 1 kobold enforcer flies to the platform of the characters and tries to shove them off the platform, destroy their levers, or just fights against them in melee. 3 kobolds attack with slings. 2 Boxes move 10feet closer to the characters.
Turn 3: the enforcers from Area 6 arrive and drop the rustmonster. kobolds keep attacking with slings.

I figured that not all the kobolds mining would immediately take part in the battle. Some would be too far away, others wouldn't have weapons on them. The ones participating in the battle are the ones with slings or other weapons, are close by, or are guards protecting the whole operation that were stationed nearby.

I like all these things! Will be adding!

Sorry for all the criticism.

No being sorry! This feedback is amazing and really helping me out, so THANK YOU! :)

But as said in the beginning; I really like your idea. :) I can imagine a nice chase/fight encounter. And the characters have their hands full to fend off the rust monster, while being under fire by the kobolds, who will use their boxes to gain a height advantage to have some cover from the characters and have advantage on their attacks. The two rustmonsters could attack two chains at a time, so that the cube will tilt to one side (if the chains are attached to the corners instead of the center) or one could attack the levers to control the cube. :) A Fighter/Barbarian PC could try to grapple and throw the rustmonster onto another platform. :smallbiggrin: A Kobold enforcer could try to jam the gears and/or rail at the ceiling to block the players.
As you can see, I think there is a lot of potential in this encounter. So please send me a link to the finished adventure! I'd love to look through it!
Hope this helps!

You've got exactly what I wanted to convey. I'll add your suggestions to the encounter now. Much appreciated!

Well it depends what level the party is and what classes. Since Dralnu said, that 1062XP was a hard Encounter and assuming there are 4 PCs, they are at 3rd level. 21 damage for a 3rd level Wizard or Sorcerer is pretty much lights out. The slow fall ability of the monks don't kick in until lvl 4, so I don't expect them to have that. Of course, fighters and barbarians should survive the fall, if they aren't hurt too bad already. But it is still a really dangerous situation.

I will add a river/stream to the bottom to make things less deadly.

I'm not sure about the level yet. This dungeon overall is probably the best thing I've designed, so I'm going to release it for free as an incentive to check out my other work. If it's a prime example of my work, I want the level to be low so it can appeal to many people (most people start at level 1). So if it's level ~1-3 range I shouldn't make the fall a guaranteed death.

@Dralnu: is there a possibility to exit the cave, if you fall to its bottom (without spiderclimb, flight, etc)? or are they just trapped?

Good question. I'll add a secret passage that leads out of the chasm. Also the walls are jagged with many places to grip, making it manageable to climb (DC ~10 or so).

EDIT: Added the fixes.
- 4 chains, not 1
- wooden cube, not platform
- the bottom of the chasm is an underground stream; Athletics / Acrobatics mitigates some of the fall damage (diving into the water correctly)
- can explore the waters to find an underground passage leading out, or can climb the walls, also treasure in the water
- round-based explanation of the combat (should it occur)