PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is Arcane Trickster's Mage Hand Broken?

Garresh
2015-07-29, 12:25 AM
Sorry for the controversial title. I'm posting this here because I tried the Reddit D&D next forums and got mixed results. If I get trashed here as well I'll admit defeat and go home.

Anyways, I recently rolled an Arcane Trickster for a D&D campaign, and had my first session last night. Before you ask, things are going great. My DM is very open minded and willing to consider balance and fairness with her calls, so I haven't had any issues with actual play experience yet. My issue is that I'm seeing a lot of problems with rules calls with regards to stealth in 5e. It's incredibly vague at points, and really seems to be 100% DM fiat. Most of the situations I've seen we've been able to hash out by talking about it and agreeing on stuff that seems fairs, but there's one rule question that is irking me a great deal. We already found a homebrew agreed on solution, but I've been combing the internet and I've honestly found nothing.

The rule is, quite simply, how does verbal spell components interact with stealth. There are no rules on the subject, but given that the sorcerer has access to metamagic subtle spell, there is a STRONG implication that spells cannot be done quietly without access to Sorcerer metamagic. Furthermore, descriptions of verbal components often describe it as chanting with a specific pitch and intonation, and seemingly implying a set volume as well. That seems sensible, until it runs smack first into an entire archetype based around Mage Hand.

Mage Hand is a cantrip that requires verbal and somatic components, but only has a duration of 60 seconds. It's also the basis of an entire archetype, the arcane trickster. The trickster gets bonuses on using mage hand to perform sleight of hand and stealth tasks. But a fairly literal reading of spell casting in the context of the sorcerer metamagic and the description of verbal components implies that casting it will instantly give away your position, or at the very least put an enemy on alert, rendering it's usefulness as a utility spell almost garbage. Taking a strict interpretation of the rules, the only one to utilize this outside of a combat situation or setting off traps is to cast it from a great distance away, then sneak up and use it for one or two rounds before it disappears.

This seems incredibly clunky, and something of an oversight to me. Now, for the sake of simplicity, my DM and I have decided to simply make non-hostile casting able to be done quietly, with a stealth check. The check is made at disadvantage(or the enemy gets advantage, if there's multiple enemies at multiple distances) if I'm within like 15-20 feet, but is otherwise made at no penalties and with bonuses if at a great distance(like 60 feet). It's not a hard and fast rule, but it feels sensible and I don't feel that it is particularly unfair.

The thing is, we basically just had to make that rule up completely. And I'm not sure what the "intended" use of mage hand is, or how spellcasting from stealth is supposed To work. Can someone shed some light on this, and let me know if our interpretations seem correct?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-29, 01:32 AM
RAW says vocal components must be spoken loudly and clearly. I.e., it automatically breaks stealth when you cast them, and everyone knows you're casting a spell (unless you're bluffing, I guess).

I (and many others, I'm sure) houserule that the AT's Mage Hand Legerdemain allows you to omit the vocal component. Otherwise it's basically useless.

Giant2005
2015-07-29, 02:04 AM
I'm not sure Mage Hand Legerdemain is even supposed to be used the way you want to use it.
I imagine it to be used more to pickpocket from afar in a bustling street, where no-one is even paying attention to what you are saying - the hand is invisible specifically so it can be stealthy instead of the Rogue having to be stealthy himself.
I don't think the rules need to change to meet its function, I think the function needs to change to meet the rules.

Sindeloke
2015-07-29, 02:58 AM
We've done it a couple different ways. Current system is Arcana check to cast quietly. There's a minimum DC for the check based on spell level (10+level) or the spell fizzles outright - the better you understand magic the more you can get away with doing stuff slightly wrong. Enemy Perception DC is unrelated to the character's check and is just the standard for hearing a whisper in that environment.

Sorcs still have a significant advantage because Silence is common in our setting and so are things with really good hearing that aren't overly deterred by whispering, but ATs can get away with a lot all the same.

Obviously still a houserule. If you're looking for running clarity in 5e you're looking at the wrong edition.

Psikerlord
2015-07-29, 03:13 AM
We allow stealth casting with a dex or int check, with stealth or sleight of hand bonus, depending on circumstances. So yeah DM call.

As for sorcerers, theyre just better at it.

If you want to make stealthy casting more certain,make a feat. Something like:

Stealthy Caster
- Adv on checks to cast steathily (or allow an ordinary check, if not normally allowed)
- you may whisper verbal components

Done.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-29, 03:40 AM
Obviously still a houserule. If you're looking for running clarity in 5e you're looking at the wrong edition.

Yeah, whenever anyone says "DM fiat" in a 5e discussion, I flinch. The whole design intent of the edition is that a human DM runs the game, rather than a robot.

When your DM makes a ruling, they are doing their job, which is to run the game.

coredump
2015-07-29, 12:06 PM
I don't see the problem.

There are many uses for Mage Hand that do not include casting it right next to someone. (opening doors, locks, etc)

If you must, just move back a bit, cast, and move forward. It has a 30' range, can move 30' a round, and lasts 10 rounds.

So start 120' away, they can't hear you cast; take 3 rounds to move into position, and that still leaves 7 rounds to do what you want. What do you want to do wtih a MH that takes more than 7 rounds?

Naanomi
2015-07-29, 12:36 PM
I said it was always 'subtle' to my group, hasn't broken anything; not like arcane trickster is the 'power subclass' anyways

Xetheral
2015-07-29, 12:36 PM
I don't see the problem.

There are many uses for Mage Hand that do not include casting it right next to someone. (opening doors, locks, etc)

If you must, just move back a bit, cast, and move forward. It has a 30' range, can move 30' a round, and lasts 10 rounds.

So start 120' away, they can't hear you cast; take 3 rounds to move into position, and that still leaves 7 rounds to do what you want. What do you want to do wtih a MH that takes more than 7 rounds?

Depending on how your DM interprets and applies the hiding rules, moving while hiding may be almost impossible in most environments.

burninatortrog
2015-07-29, 08:58 PM
I don't think it's fair to describe the arcane trickster as "an entire archetype based around mage hand." The primary tools of an arcane trickster are:

Sneak Attack
Cunning Action
Spellcasting

Mage Hand Legerdemain is more like a minor ribbon feature than a pillar of the class.

Daishain
2015-07-29, 09:07 PM
I don't think it's fair to describe the arcane trickster as "an entire archetype based around mage hand." The primary tools of an arcane trickster are:

Sneak Attack
Cunning Action
Spellcasting

Mage Hand Legerdemain is more like a minor ribbon feature than a pillar of the class.
Sneak attack and Cunning action are exempt, they aren't archetype features. AT's spellcasting is indeed something the other rogues cannot do, but is itself an extremely weakened version of another class's spellcasting

Mage hand legerdemain is the only primary feature that arcane tricksters have that others do not. I do think his statement is exaggeration, but it is not invalid. An expectation that their one unique feature works properly is not unreasonable.

That stated, I am not certain it can be considered broken. Even if you do have to speak loudly (subject to DM interpretation). it is simple enough to bypass/work around that restriction.

FatherLiir
2015-07-29, 09:49 PM
What do you want to do wtih a MH that takes more than 7 rounds?

I'm not sure you'd want an answer but everything I can think of involves inappropriate uses of an Alchemy Jug

coredump
2015-07-30, 12:11 AM
Depending on how your DM interprets and applies the hiding rules, moving while hiding may be almost impossible in most environments.

Not really relevant. If you can't get up close, then MH is no help regardless.

Tenmujiin
2015-07-30, 12:50 AM
For some reason I always assumed that ATs had an always-on mage hand. Never really read the subclass too deeply.

Xetheral
2015-07-30, 12:34 PM
Not really relevant. If you can't get up close, then MH is no help regardless.

I was thinking of the scenario where you're already up close, and hidden, but you've only got the one hiding spot.

Sigreid
2015-07-30, 12:37 PM
RAW says vocal components must be spoken loudly and clearly. I.e., it automatically breaks stealth when you cast them, and everyone knows you're casting a spell (unless you're bluffing, I guess).

I (and many others, I'm sure) houserule that the AT's Mage Hand Legerdemain allows you to omit the vocal component. Otherwise it's basically useless.

Raw never says loud. It says the tone and pitch have to be hit. Spellcasting can be done without detection depending on background noise. Bet it's loud on market street.

coredump
2015-07-30, 01:15 PM
I was thinking of the scenario where you're already up close, and hidden, but you've only got the one hiding spot.

But now the scenario is getting to be more and more of a niche situation. The fact that it doesn't work in every conceivable situation doesn't bother me.