PDA

View Full Version : Half-Minotaur and Warblade

Draconium
2015-07-29, 03:40 AM
Well, I just read through the half-minotaur template, and first, let me say - assuming applied to a medium creature, this means +12 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Int, +4 natural armor, size change up to large, meaning reach for a humanoid creature, +10 speed, a 1d8 gore attack, Darkvision, Scent, Minotaur Cunning, +2 on Listen/Search/Spot, and Track as a bonus feat, all for a +1 LA? Dang. :smalleek:

At any rate, I was wondering how good this template is for a primarily Warblade build. I realize you're taking a penalty to one of your primary stats, Int, but it's rather small and can be easily dealt with. You're also taking a permanent -1 to hit and to your AC. On the other hand, your increased Str means at least a +6 to hit (or, even as a dump stat, +5) and to damage, and your natural armor easily offsets the other size penalty. Not to mention, you're getting quite a bit of extra HP.

Overall, it seems like a solid choice, but I wanted to ask for opinions first. Also note, while I am not quite 100% certain of the overall class build, it will primarily be Warblade, and may and up going ubercharger.

OldTrees1
2015-07-29, 03:45 AM
Well it gives 4 things:
1) Large size (worth the LA on its own)
2) The template ability bonuses (not too unbalancing but see #1)
3) The size ability bonuses (come on, why go overboard like that?)
4) The Half Ogre template is not LA +0

The Half Minotaur template is strong enough that you should never expect to use it. However a Goliath Barbarian(Mountain Rage) 1 is a more balanced alternative and more likely to be approved by your DM.

PS: People say Warblades have significant Int synergy, but those class features are situational/weak. Having synergy is not the same as having significant synergy in the same way as having class features is not the same as having significant class features. Judge you Int by the amount of skill points you receive, that is a better measurement.

2015-07-29, 03:45 AM
Well, I just read through the half-minotaur template, and first, let me say - assuming applied to a medium creature, this means +12 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Int, +4 natural armor, size change up to large, meaning reach for a humanoid creature, +10 speed, a 1d8 gore attack, Darkvision, Scent, Minotaur Cunning, +2 on Listen/Search/Spot, and Track as a bonus feat, all for a +1 LA? Dang. :smalleek:

At any rate, I was wondering how good this template is for a primarily Warblade build. I realize you're taking a penalty to one of your primary stats, Int, but it's rather small and can be easily dealt with. You're also taking a permanent -1 to hit and to your AC. On the other hand, your increased Str means at least a +6 to hit (or, even as a dump stat, +5) and to damage, and your natural armor easily offsets the other size penalty. Not to mention, you're getting quite a bit of extra HP.

Overall, it seems like a solid choice, but I wanted to ask for opinions first. Also note, while I am not quite 100% certain of the overall class build, it will primarily be Warblade, and may and up going ubercharger.

Yeah, that template's pretty awesome, but it gets even better: if you take Half-Minotaur first, and then take Half-Ogre, HO has LA +0 (since you're already Large); it adds more Str and Con at the cost of Int and Cha (IIRC), but by that point, you can "dump" Str to focus on Int and have a pretty awesome Warblade. Incidentally, this particular template combo is well-known because of how easily it can turn any medium humanoid LA +0 into a Hulking Hurler badass.

Draconium
2015-07-29, 03:49 AM
Well it gives 4 things:
1) Large size (worth the LA on its own)
2) The template ability bonuses (not too unbalancing but see #1)
3) The size ability bonuses (come on, why go overboard like that?)
4) The Half Ogre template is not LA +0

The Half Minotaur template is strong enough that you should never expect to use it. However a Goliath Barbarian(Mountain Rage) 1 is a more balanced alternative and more likely to be approved by your DM.

Well, by DM is a bit more laid-back, so there is the possibility of it being used. Of course, even if I don't, it would be nice to know.

Yeah, that template's pretty awesome, but it gets even better: if you take Half-Minotaur first, and then take Half-Ogre, HO has LA +0 (since you're already Large); it adds more Str and Con at the cost of Int and Cha (IIRC), but by that point, you can "dump" Str to focus on Int and have a pretty awesome Warblade. Incidentally, this particular template combo is well-known because of how easily it can turn any medium humanoid LA +0 into a Hulking Hurler badass.

Or possibly a War Hulk as well, if I decided to go for a different class... *files that away for a later idea*