PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] unarmored barbarian / dwarf slayer character build help

Kurnagar
2015-07-29, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone !

I'm in need of some help to design a character i'll play.
What i want to play is something like a dwarf slayer like the ones from warhammer (you know those, crazy berzerk dwarf running around half naked with orange hair)

I was obviously thinking about a barbarian but as i was planning on using no armour at all (for fluff reason), i wonder if there is something, a feat or an alternative class feature that
can compensate the fact of being unarmoured with something else.
So i'm turning to the amazing knowledge of you guys here to maybe give me some ideas.

Here are some technical facts
- we're using 3.5 official rules. any official books is ok, but no homebrew, no pathfinder, no 3rd party press
- i'll start level 6 to 8, so no need to have a build up to level 20
- i want to play a dwarf
- i won't be wearing any armour
- i don't need to be overly optimized, but i also don't want to be a burden for group and choosing not to have armour is already not a very wise choice

Feel free to post any ideas !

Thanks

Red Fel
2015-07-29, 09:16 AM
Consider the Fist of the Forest prestige class. This is a 3-level PrC that specifically entails throwing off the comforts and trappings of civilization, such as shaving, clothing, and ceilings. In exchange, you get a lot of powerups, including your Con bonus to AC. As a Barbarian, Con should be one of your primary stats anyway. Another PrC of interest is the Frostrager (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040911a&page=3), which gives you a natural armor bonus as ice leaks out of your pores and hardens on your flesh.

Another thing to consider investing in is the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) ACF. Instead of your usual rage bonuses, Whirling Frenzy increases Str and Reflex saves, and gives a dodge bonus to AC. It also gives you an extra attack, although all attacks take a -2 penalty. (Worth it!)

Kurnagar
2015-08-04, 12:32 PM
Fist of te forest is indeed nice, but the "living like an animal" part is a bit too strong (roleplaying wise)
Whirling frenzy is quite interesting, i think i'll take that one.

Thanks for your answer

jok
2015-08-04, 01:49 PM
I always wondered how to build a warhammer slayer dwarf aswell.
In my opinion they should have the following abilities:
- no amor so stuff to AC or better DR
- either TWF, 2hander or spiked chain
- something like immunity to fear or real good will save
- good acrobatics and athletic
- favoured enemy to trolls, giants, dragons and demons

Fluff wise slayer dwarf committed a grave crime against the dwarfen community or honor and instead of punishment they
took the slayer oath that pretty much states that they will commit indirect suicide by fighting enemys of the dwarfs.

Darrin
2015-08-04, 03:31 PM
Sounds like Frozen Dwarf Hulk Smash!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?50588) might be worth a look.

ComaVision
2015-08-04, 03:36 PM
Not familiar with the source material here but a Tashalatora Monk can be an effective, unarmoured combatant.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-08-04, 03:39 PM
Fist of te forest is indeed nice, but the "living like an animal" part is a bit too strong (roleplaying wise)
Whirling frenzy is quite interesting, i think i'll take that one.

Thanks for your answer
Frostrager is specifically designed for unarmed barbarians so I would highly recommend it.

gorfnab
2015-08-04, 05:49 PM
Ranger 3/ Barbarian 2/ Deepwarden 2/ Shou Disciple 5
For the Barbarian levels use the following ACFs: Spirit Totem: Lion (CC), Whirling Frenzy (UA), City Brawler (Drg#349), Wolf Totem (UA), and Skilled City Dweller (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) (trade Ride for Tumble)

mostholycerebus
2015-08-04, 07:25 PM
They will often have armored kilt/girdle things, and sometimes boots with scale/chain/plate greaves. Just their upper torso and head are left bare. I feel you could make a case for Gloryborn armor, possibly a Light or Medium set plus an Armored Kilt.

Some kind of TWF dex build with that setup would give them a decent AC.