PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dhampirs and Negative Energy Effects

Draco_Lord
2015-07-29, 10:55 AM
So, I was just wondering, how do Dhampirs take negative energy effects? The exact example would be something like the touch of a shadow. They do strength damage, but it is a negative energy effect, so does he heal? Gain strength? Take the damage? Something else?

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-29, 10:58 AM
They are still harmed, since they aren't immune to ability damage. One can still wield a creature's affinity energy and harm, like Lurkers in Light or Solar Dragons.

Draco_Lord
2015-07-29, 11:05 AM
They are still harmed, since they aren't immune to ability damage. One can still wield a creature's affinity energy and harm, like Lurkers in Light or Solar Dragons.

See, but I can't find an example of positive Energy being used to hurt, save for on a Positive Energy Plane, where it can blow you up. Solar Dragons have to turn it to radiation, and Lurkers in Light don't seem to have an attack involving positive energy.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-29, 11:08 AM
Really? I could swear they did. Must be something else. And yes, Channel Radiation is still positive energy. Its not actual radiation. And anyway, dhampir are still living creatures, its just their energy affinity is a little screwed up.

Draco_Lord
2015-07-29, 11:13 AM
I know, which is honestly why I'm asking about this. If it was stat damage, no problem, it effects dhampirs fully. Some kind of negative levels, cool dhampirs explain that. It is just with things like there, that is a negative energy effect, that does different things.

I suppose I should also ask what happens if two shadows attack each other, make sure I understand it fully.

Psyren
2015-07-29, 11:17 AM
See, but I can't find an example of positive Energy being used to hurt, save for on a Positive Energy Plane, where it can blow you up. Solar Dragons have to turn it to radiation, and Lurkers in Light don't seem to have an attack involving positive energy.

The Heal spell will hurt anything that is harmed by positive energy, including Dhampirs. They will also take damage from things like a good cleric's Channel Energy, and the Pillar of Life spell.

That is all hit point damage though, not ability damage etc.

grarrrg
2015-07-29, 08:30 PM
FAQ Entry: (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fo#v5748eaic9oyk)

Negative Energy Affinity: How is this ability (Bestiary 2, page 299) supposed to work?

The intent of this ability is that the creature is healed by negative energy (like an undead) and harmed by positive energy (like an undead); this is automatic and has nothing to do with the intent of the target or the energy-wielder. However, as written, the ability is a bit confusing because of the phrase “reacts to,” which doesn’t have a clear definition. This ability will be changed in the next printing of Bestiary 2.

Update: Page 299—In the description of the Negative Energy Affinity ability, replace the current entry with the following:

Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) The creature is alive, but is treated as undead for all effects that affect undead differently than living creatures, such as cure spells and channeled energy. Format: negative energy affinity; Location: Defensive Abilities.