PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Candle of Invocation and alignment.

TheNivMizzet
2015-07-29, 01:49 PM
I've seen a few threads based around the candle of invocation and using the wish loop, and I've managed to join an evil game and having it up my sleeve for when a battle turns sour. The morality of holding a card like that aside, the party is a mix of lawful/neutral evil characters and the only target I can see for the Gate is the Pit fiend. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other extra-planar creatures of the Lawful Evil alignment which granted wishes, preferably more than once at a time.

nyjastul69
2015-07-29, 02:03 PM
An efreeti should work.

TheNivMizzet
2015-07-29, 02:05 PM
That's perfect thank you, didn't see them when I checked :)

nyjastul69
2015-07-29, 02:25 PM
You're welcome. I'm pretty sure efreet are what are usually cited in the infinite wish loop trick.

TheNivMizzet
2015-07-29, 02:35 PM
I guess it is an evil thing to do to a campaign, although we did just meet a level 18 lich and a level 17 Deathknight. We're level 6. We need every sly trick we can get our toned and well managed claws on.

ShaneMRoth
2015-07-29, 03:47 PM
I guess it is an evil thing to do to a campaign, although we did just meet a level 18 lich and a level 17 Deathknight. We're level 6. We need every sly trick we can get our toned and well managed claws on.

Use of a Gate spell is inherently risky, but I don't see how the use of Gate is an evil act in terms of game mechanics. The spell lacks an alignment descriptor.

Am I missing something?

Having said that, based on the bold text you appear to be afflicted with a Butt-Munch DM. So, a Candle of Invocation just might make things worse.

TheNivMizzet
2015-07-29, 04:02 PM
I think he just wants the game to be open, we've ran into several NPCs that are too powerful to take on, and we've managed to get around them and continue our progression to overlords. He doesn't seem to be that experienced, but that's only because the calls that are made such as Dex saves rather than Reflex saves, and other small things you pick up on, like someone trying to speak your native language, getting all the nuances slightly wrong. We fought a beholder, but he rolled for eye stalks, and did one a turn rather than picked the worst ones, we still get Finger of Death 3 times in a row, and we saw the roll, but yeah, he's just new I think.