PDA

View Full Version : Brawler Monk build

ArendK
2015-07-29, 04:35 PM
Giants! I have...a plan.

A player in one of my groups and I were kicking around an idea, and I sketched out a concept that is quite fascinating. But I'm wondering if there are any holes I have overlooked.

Concept-Monk/Brawler with focus on clearing an area with combination of reach weapon, unarmed strikes, and whirlwind attack.
level 1-Monk (master of many styles-Dragon Style), feats Power Attack and Dodge (if human, requirement for this build)
2-Monk-Dragon ferocity
3-Brawler-Combat Expertise
4-Brawler (bonus feat-mobility)
5-Brawler- Spring Attack

At this point, the build concept comes online. Using a monk reach weapon (Santetsukon, the three section staff) and high strength, focus on whacking foes as they come in. Use unarmed attacks up close. For the major levels of dragon style chain adds considerable damage to unarmed strikes granted by brawlers flurry. Use Martial Versatility to grant Whirlwind Attack.

Now from my readings, there is nothing stopping a character from using AoO with one weapon wielded (3 section staff) or alternating weapons (unarmed strike) as long as they are readied. Using that same logic for Whirlwind attack (nothing I have seen says I can't), have the player pop a potion of Enlarge Person, and watch 20 ft reach go to town on mooks with whirlwind attack and power attack (unarmed strikes for foes with 10 ft, the chain for ranges 15-20 ft).

This seems viable and useful in my head, and I don't see any rules broken (from reading the pfsrd, there's nothing saying I can't multiclass Monk and brawler now since the errata is out); just redundant abilities don't stack.

What does my fellow community think?