PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Charging full attack as a swift action

martixy
2015-07-29, 05:13 PM
Here's what one person I know tried to pull of:

Shadow Blink + Battle Jump + Pounce

His contention is that he's making his whole charge + full-attack as a swift action.

Rinse and repeat for Shadow Stride - as a move action, and again for Shadow Jaunt.

This sounds so horribly grimy, I don't even know where to begin.

So can someone please explain?
If it's possible - why.
If it isn't - why not.

Necroticplague
2015-07-29, 05:18 PM
You can't teleport onto a surface that can't support you, so you can't just poof above someone and drop like that.

That said, the shenanigans are kinda uneeded. There's a few classes that give you the explicit ability to Full-Attack every time you teleport next to someone (creatively called Shadow Pounce, I beleive), which would work unambiguously to produce the same results (minus Battle Jumps x2 damage boost, of course).

Darrin
2015-07-29, 07:47 PM
You can't teleport onto a surface that can't support you, so you can't just poof above someone and drop like that.

You can teleport anywhere you like. The requirement for appearing on a solid surface comes from the conjuration rules. Shadow Blink doesn't care where you appear, so the square 20' above your opponent is just as valid as the square next to him.

That said, the shenanigans are kinda uneeded. There's a few classes that give you the explicit ability to Full-Attack every time you teleport next to someone (creatively called Shadow Pounce, I beleive), which would work unambiguously to produce the same results (minus Battle Jumps x2 damage boost, of course).

Shadow Pounce only appears twice: Crinti Shadow Marauder 5 (Shining South) and Telflammar Shadowlord 4 (Unapproachable East). Blade of Orien (Dragonmarked) does something similar.

The problem with Battle Jump is its written very poorly, so it's hard to tell how the designers intended to work. That and some of the rules experts on this forum insist that Battle Jump still requires a full round to activate, because the feat text doesn't change that requirement from the charge rules. I... Let's just say I disagree.

There are a couple feats that are similar to Battle Jump but might not have the same rules issues. Mantis Leap in Sword & Fist works of a "normal jump check", so you can get around the full round requirement that way (see my T'chub-t'chub (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18981080&postcount=23) build as an example). The other one is Roof-Jumper in Cityscape, but I'm not sure if it had the same activation issues (see my Thumpelina (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18984751&postcount=25) build as an example).