PDA

View Full Version : Help with multiclassing

jstingray
2015-07-29, 07:37 PM
Hello People,
I need help multiclassing my Human Fighter. I will soon be level eight and I am having trouble finding the right fit for my character. He is CN, Uses a +3 Keen, Unholy, flame-touched iron greatsword, and wears a full plate. His stats are-
Str: 16
Dex: 12
Con:12
Int:11
Wis:9
Cha:9

My party consists of a wizard, rogue, druid, ranger, and swordsage.
Tanks for all the help!:smallsmile:

Alphasez
2015-07-29, 07:48 PM
Definitely needing some more info here.

What are your wants for this character? Do you want to stay as a brute with a 2H weapon? Or do you want to branch out more with skills and/or spells? What are your feats?

And how did you end up with such an expensive weapon at 7th level? What is that equivalent to? +7? +8?

Theodred theOld
2015-07-29, 07:55 PM
Without any more info I would say cleric dip. Couldn't hurt, right?

eggynack
2015-07-29, 07:56 PM
Barbarian and cleric are pretty classic options. Barbarian with whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) and pounce from spirit lion totem which is in complete champion grants an extra attack on a rage and the ability to make use of it often, as well as your other attacks. If you don't have improved trip already, then a second level can get it for you with wolf totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ). With cleric, you go cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) and the goal is swapping out domains for complete champion devotion feats. You necessarily get knowledge, whose devotion gives a nice attack and damage buff, and then for the others you can pick up good stuff through animal, travel, law, and some others of note. There's a whole guide on the topic here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773.0).

OldTrees1
2015-07-29, 08:14 PM
Barbarian 1 has Whirling Frenzy(a variant rage that give you an extra attack) and Spirit Lion Totem(which gives you a full attack when you charge)
Barbarian 2 has Wolf Totem(gain Improved Trip without needing Combat Expertise)

Rogue 1-2 grants more skill points, a better skill list, and either Sneak Attack(useful for Staggering Strike) or more bonus feats.

Warblade 1, Crusader 1, and/or Swordsage 1 all allow you to gain a few 2nd-4th level maneuvers depending on when you take them. I like Swordsage 1 at 5th(for 2nd level maneuvers) and Warblade 1 at 9th(for 3rd level maneuvers).

Lerondiel
2015-07-29, 08:16 PM
Cloak Cha4 + Sorcerer 1 + Abjurant Champion 5 + Ring of Wizardry 2 = regular Wraithstrike Power Attacking + ditching the full plate

EDIT: Combat Casting feat required so only viable if your DM allows retraining feats

jstingray
2015-07-29, 11:09 PM
Definitely needing some more info here.

What are your wants for this character? Do you want to stay as a brute with a 2H weapon? Or do you want to branch out more with skills and/or spells? What are your feats?

And how did you end up with such an expensive weapon at 7th level? What is that equivalent to? +7? +8?

The sword is +6, worth 72,000 gp. I got by rolling REALLY high several times in a row for loot.I would defitely like to keep using a greatsword, and I am looking to give my character some more complexity than hitting stuff with a big sword. My feats are Power attack, weapon focus (Greatsword), Cleave, Improved Initiative, Great Fortitude, Weapon Specialization (Greatsword), Great Cleave, Action Surge, and Heroic Spirit. The last two feats are for action points.

frogglesmash
2015-07-30, 04:44 AM
Any of the tome of battle classes are good at opening up new options for melee types.

Curmudgeon
2015-07-30, 09:42 AM
If you're looking to multiclass your Fighter at level 8: don't do it for a couple more levels!

You're up at the point where you've got some Fighter-specific options. (You might need to exercise some of the class feature retraining options in Player's Handbook II to get them.)

From the Champions of Valor web enhancement, available here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a), you've got the Zhentarim Soldier Fighter substitution levels:

Skill Focus (Intimidation) as a bonus feat at 3rd level
Extended Intimidation at 5th level
Swift Demoralization at 9th level

I would hope you've already picked up on the Dungeon Crasher Fighter ACF (Dungeonscape, page 10): Bull Rush enemies into walls for 8d6 + 3x your STR bonus damage.

So bump up your Charisma at level 8, maximize your Intimidate skill, and have a couple more things you're good at besides swinging your sword.

daryen
2015-07-30, 09:49 AM
Well, without doing some significant improvements on your mental stats, you aren't getting any real spellcasting at any point. The character has the potential to case up to 1st level spells based on Int, but can't even think of casting spells (or even Cantrips!) based on Wis or Cha. Considering how weak even your other stats are, that is a lot of improvement you would have to invest in just to play with spellcasting.

So, your best bet is either to vary your combat skills (with other martial classes) or dip into skill monkey territory. But it looks like casting is pretty much out for you.