PDA

View Full Version : Brawler Magus?

Fightmaster
2015-07-29, 09:55 PM
Hi all, a friend asked me to participate in a pathfinder campaign he's running as an extra body. I've never played pathfinder but I've found both the brawler and the magus class very interesting. I wanted to know if it would be possible to do some amount of multiclassing without ruining a character. The main thing is ending up with a reasonably good magus with an unarmed strike attack. The rest of the party are beginners so optimization isn't too much of a major deal.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-29, 10:04 PM
Well, funny you asked. In Occult Adventures (which just came out today), the Esoteric magus archetype gets: IUS with Monk scaling, armor bonus for light armor, and their arcane pool counts as a ki pool for feats and such, among others. More monk than brawler, but hey, still pretty cool.

noob
2015-07-29, 10:12 PM
Maybe with some discussion with your GM you can have variant multi-classing from this page
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement
variant multiclassing between two hybrid classes seems perfectly reasonable
Then the next step of hybridization craziness is gish double variant multi-class(magus,bloodrager variant multi-classed with brawler and investigator)

Kurald Galain
2015-07-30, 04:52 AM
I'd say play a pure Magus with the Spell Dancer archetype and the IUS feat. The Magus's core class feature (spell combat) already works with unarmed strikes, and I'd argue that the arcane pool enchant feature works with gauntlets.

Also, Magus guide in progress (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus) :smallcool:

Krazzman
2015-07-30, 05:10 AM
IF you really don't mind about it being optimal, I personally would go for a 1 or 2 level dip of Brawler and then stack Magus. 2 Levels for the Bonus Feat an Flurry (although I am unsure Flurry stacks with Spell Combat....)

I am unsure if you can enchant your Unarmed strike through Arcane Pool due to the wording of: "to grant any weapon he is holding". Which might take a stingy DM to rule against it.

Also if you don't want to play an Elf, or want to use traits to count as an Elf, or your DM not wayving the Elf prerequesite for Spell Dancer I would just go with a Magus (no Archetypes).

Good luck.

Kurald Galain
2015-07-30, 05:18 AM
IF you really don't mind about it being optimal, I personally would go for a 1 or 2 level dip of Brawler and then stack Magus. 2 Levels for the Bonus Feat an Flurry (although I am unsure Flurry stacks with Spell Combat....)
It doesn't.

Also if you don't want to play an Elf, or want to use traits to count as an Elf, or your DM not wayving the Elf prerequesite for Spell Dancer I would just go with a Magus (no Archetypes).
Yes. Or eldritch scion for a free enlarge every combat.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-30, 07:10 AM
Plugging the Esoteric again, but their abilities explicitly state that they can enhance their unarmed strikes as wielded weapons. Different ability list, as well.

Fightmaster
2015-07-30, 08:46 AM
We're only allowed to use content from books we own, which are core, ultimate equipment, magic, and combat. Brawler 2/ Magus X it will be