PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder "Bigger Boat" Bloodrager

Arutema
2015-07-30, 03:17 AM
So here's may thoughts for a character concept:

Take EWP: Bastard Sword and wield a large bastard sword as a 2 handed weapon. (2d8)

Class: Bloodrager, Abyssal Bloodline. At level 4 you can enlarge while raging. Large sword becomes huge. (3d8)

WBL permitting, slap Impact on that bastard sword. Huge sword deals damage as gargantuan. (4d8)

Vital Strike if DR or hardness is still bothering me.

Do I have the numbers right and this is all rules-legal? Has anyone played something similar?

2015-07-30, 03:39 AM
So here's may thoughts for a character concept:

Take EWP: Bastard Sword and wield a large bastard sword as a 2 handed weapon. (2d8)

Class: Bloodrager, Abyssal Bloodline. At level 4 you can enlarge while raging. Large sword becomes huge. (3d8)

WBL permitting, slap Impact on that bastard sword. Huge sword deals damage as gargantuan. (4d8)

Vital Strike if DR or hardness is still bothering me.

Do I have the numbers right and this is all rules-legal? Has anyone played something similar?

A while back I built a Monk/Paladin that did something similar with a katana (for flavor). I used Crusader's Flurry to get it as a Monk weapon, so that I was essentially flurrying with a two-handed weapon. It was only a hypothetical build, but it was pretty cool.

grarrrg
2015-07-30, 08:35 PM
I do believe you are rules-legal.
The sword is naturally Large.
And you are allowed one "whole body" size increase (Enlarge Person) and one "limited" size increase (Impact).
Anything more than you have would likely require "shenanigans".

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-30, 08:38 PM
Seems legal to me. Funny, Pathfinder's Iconic barbarian does something similar, wielding a giant's bastard sword as a 2-handed weapon.

StygianRose
2015-07-30, 11:38 PM
If your DM allows 3rd Party or even just Dreamscarred Press you can play a Half-Giant for Powerful Build and use a Huge Bastard Sword in the same situation.

3d8 (Huge), 4d8 (Raging or Impact), 6d8 (Raging and Impact)

Psionics will allow you to augment expansion at later levels as well, and become huge.

4d8>6d8>8d8

The Aegis class can do all of this natively, there is even an archetype that gets a slam attack which is perfectly designed for a vital striker - starting at a 1d8 base and growing by an additional 1d8 at levels where weapons gain iteratives - 1d8/2d8/3d8/4d8; 1/6/11/16.

Being a natural attack it is eligible for Strong Jaw. So it maxes out at 16d8 after all size increases. 12d8 if you use Improved Natural Attack instead.

This means a 48d8 or 64d8 vital strike respectively.

But you cant spam iteratives, as it is a natural attack. However it does qualify you for using the giant feats that involve vital strike if you find those interesting as it requires Half Giant and Half Giant (obviously) has the Giant subtype required by the feats.

Just my two cents, not being sure if Dreamscarred Press counts as shennigans.

Geddy2112
2015-07-30, 11:45 PM
Looks good. Pick up a wand of lead blades (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/lead-blades) to bridge the gap between level 1 and getting impact on your weapon.

StygianRose
2015-07-31, 07:03 PM
In addition, the Tiefling variant heritage roll d100 chart has an option that says "You may use large weapons without penalty."

This might allow you to ignore the -2 to hit for your large Bastard sword or even increase the size up another category before you hit -2 to hit / require EWP. Technically, it might remove the need for EWP at all if you stay Large.

Arutema
2015-08-04, 03:25 AM
Sadly, the character bled out after a nasty encounter with a bugbear ranger at level 1, so I won't be able to tell you how it worked out at higher levels where it really comes online.

Psyren
2015-08-04, 09:46 AM
Sadly, the character bled out after a nasty encounter with a bugbear ranger at level 1, so I won't be able to tell you how it worked out at higher levels where it really comes online.

Keeping your blood inside you is a prerequisite for using the class' features.

(Or any class' really :smallbiggrin:)

2015-08-04, 12:01 PM
Keeping your blood inside you is a prerequisite for using the class' features.

(Or any class' really :smallbiggrin:)

Not Blood Magus...or Fallen Martyr. Or any undead-only PrC. :smalltongue: