PDA

View Full Version : This doesn't seem physically possible!

Jade_Tarem
2007-05-04, 03:52 AM
1. (Not funny) Hate to be a nitpick, but unless Xykon casted some other form of fly between panels, he can't fly straight up and hover. Overland Flight only grants average maneuverability, so there's a maximum 60 degree climb angle and no hovering allowed.

2. (Possibly Humorous) Did anyone notice something a bit... *odd* about the exterior of the castle at the 8th floor? For instance, there's no ledge/catwalk there. We can see from the boarded up window that this is the very same window that Miko smacked Belkar through, and yet to do this she would have had to smite/throw/dropkick Belkar straight up two or more stories, jump up there herself, change directions midair, and then come through the window whilst in the process of whacking Belkar again. That's right ladies and gentlemen, Miko went Dragon Ball Z on Belkar and we didn't get to see it.

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-04, 04:33 AM
Did this thread's title make anyone else think of RvB?

Moik
2007-05-04, 04:50 AM
Overland Flight only grants average maneuverability, so there's a maximum 60 degree climb angle and no hovering allowed.

Homebrew; is there a question it can't answer?

"Moik, Inc. Bringing you cheap cop-out answers since the grade seven english exam."

Snake-Aes
2007-05-04, 05:18 AM
I decided to attribute it to Humorous needs the moment Xykon said "Factor Three".

Funny fact about Miko, and I think she had a large influence in the Sapphire paladins: Look at the number of dual-wielders! At least three there.

FlawedParadigm
2007-05-04, 05:19 AM
Please, think of the poor catgirls.

Besides, how is it you can accept that Meteor Swarm can create meteors out of _thin air_ and then have a problem with this?

Snake-Aes
2007-05-04, 05:22 AM
Because the meteors were supposed to show that way \o/

Magic has it's rules

Orchestration
2007-05-04, 06:43 AM
I do believe a certain Halfling had a Ring of Jumping?

Snake-Aes
2007-05-04, 06:50 AM
The halfling isn't the question, it's Miko.

Glorfindel
2007-05-04, 06:54 AM
We can see from the boarded up window that this is the very same window that Miko smacked Belkar through, and yet to do this she would have had to smite/throw/dropkick Belkar straight up two or more stories, jump up there herself, change directions midair, and then come through the window whilst in the process of whacking Belkar again.

I think they might be coming from above. As can be seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0279.html), they were fighting on top of a building (probably the tower with the throne room).

NeonRonin
2007-05-04, 07:09 AM
I think they might be coming from above. As can be seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0279.html), they were fighting on top of a building (probably the tower with the throne room).

It still would have required them to change directions in mid-fall if they were coming in from above- which would require one or both of them to be swinging via rope or doing some sort of Jackie Chan thing off a wall directly opposite the window. I don't really see any sort of wall opposite the window, and I can't recall a rope when Miko and Belkar entered...

Yep. They went DBZ on us.

Or, it's simply Wile E.'s theorems at work again- 'a falling creature can change its trajectory in midair by kicking its legs frantically, thus emulating the effect of running on a stable surface'. It's a Law of Cartoon Physics, I'm sure.

moleytov
2007-05-04, 07:28 AM
Or simply they were on an adjacent tower and continued in that horizontal direction:
__->aaal|
¦¦a._aaa|
¦¦aaa._a|
¦¦aaaa ->______
¦¦aaaaaa|

no catgirls were harmed in the making of this image.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-04, 10:06 AM
Compare the last panel on the second row
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0447.html

To the panel with Miko smashing through with Belkar

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0284.html

One of the windows in 447 is boarded up and has been broken. Assuming this window was broken due to Miko.

The third window on the first panel on the second row clearly hasn't been broken. Therefore Xykon didn't fly through any of those three windows which appear not to have a balcony under them.

Sucrose
2007-05-04, 10:11 AM
For the first point, Xykon might've taken the Hover feat (and Improved Flying, if necessary). Plus, of course, there's always homebrew spells- one that improves flight maneuverability isn't exactly overpowered.

Klev
2007-05-04, 11:35 AM
I just wanted to know where Xykon`s feet went in the fourth panel...

One Skunk Todd
2007-05-04, 11:45 AM
I think his cloak is long enough to cover his feet depending on how he's standing (or flying). If you look back at some of the recent strips I think you'll see when he's standing (or hovering) perfectly still the cloak tends to hang down and well... cloak his feet. :)

Glome
2007-05-04, 11:45 AM
There have been cases where people have jumped off of building only to be blown back by the wind into the building they jumped off of. Just saying that the wind can be a force of horizontal momentum without any static friction to keep someone in the same place. Hell, I've been blown twenty feet across a slippery patch of ice before. More likely it was a jump from another tower as mentioned previously though.

Dragontail
2007-05-04, 12:24 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, the Giant shouldn't be expected to construct a 100% viable world to maintain nit-picky continuity. Honestly, I'm amazed at how much consistency he already maintains, especially while supplying a smooth comedic flow and solid story.

Alright, that was a bit wordy, heh. Let's just say that Belkar and Miko entered from some place as yet unseen. If you need another nitpick, it seems the crack in Xykon's skull has disappeared.

Geilan
2007-05-04, 01:45 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, the Giant shouldn't be expected to construct a 100% viable world to maintain nit-picky continuity. Honestly, I'm amazed at how much consistency he already maintains, especially while supplying a smooth comedic flow and solid story.

Alright, that was a bit wordy, heh. Let's just say that Belkar and Miko entered from some place as yet unseen. If you need another nitpick, it seems the crack in Xykon's skull has disappeared.

He was healed by Tsukiko when she Inflicted Critical Wounds on him.

Jade_Tarem
2007-05-04, 02:56 PM
I was just bringing it up for humor purposes. It's entirely possible that they jumped down from another tower or something - I just thought it would be funny if there was a brief, physics-defying air battle between Belkar and Miko. It would be one of Miko's best moves.

jindra34
2007-05-04, 02:58 PM
I was just bringing it up for humor purposes. It's entirely possible that they jumped down from another tower or something - I just thought it would be funny if there was a brief, physics-defying air battle between Belkar and Miko. It would be one of Miko's best moves.

Thats exactly why they are saying there was not one it would have been comedic enough to deserve a shot in the comic.