PDA

View Full Version : Kroann Blackfist

Snig
2015-07-30, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I though i'd like to share my character with you guys!

Kroann is currently Fighter 1 / Rogue 1, and I plan on eventually going Fighter (Battle Master) 12 / Rogue (Assassin) 3 / (Not sure yet about the final 5, might just finish out fighter).

http://community.wizards.com/sites/mtgcommunity/files/styles/large/public/Duergar.jpg?itok=6NP3tvZI

NAME: Kroann Blackfist
HEIGHT: 4'6"
WEIGHT: 160 lb.
EYES: Pale Grey
SKIN: Grey
HAIR: White

ALIGNMENT Lawful Evil
DEITY Laduguer

BACKROUND: Criminal (Underdark Smuggler)

PERSONALITY TRAITS
I am grim, pessimistic, and untrusting of others.
I often count my gold while casting suspicious glances at my companions.

IDEALS
I've no use for idle time. There is always a blade to be sharpened or something in need of repair.

BONDS
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. I sell Drow secrets to the surface dwellers to help eradicate the Dark Elves once and for all.

FLAWS
I forge alliances when it's convenient, then break those alliances when I have nothing more to gain.

CHARACTER DESCRIPTION
Like most Duergar, Kroann's physique is lean and hard compared to those of his Dwarven cousins. His pale beard is untamed and wiry. At first glance his eyes appear to be completely white, with a faint grey iris apparent upon closer inspection.

Kroann has a no nonsense humorless disposition, common amongst his race. He goes about his business in a stoic and deliberate manner. His equipment is unadorned and drab yet finely crafted and effective, made up almost entirely of dark metals and dull leather. He wears dark chain armor, which he crafted himself, equipped with a leather bandolier and leather spaulders which are topped with iron spikes. His gloves and boots are also comprised of the same dark chain and worn leather, with similar spikes set into the knuckles of his gloves.

His grim looking maul is a family heirloom crafted by his great grandfather Balgar Blackfist. It is exceptionally well crafted, topped with a dark iron block, spiked for extra cruelty. It was given the name "Warmonger". A well deserved name considering the number of battles it's seen.

Kroann also carries a sword and shield. The sword he calls "Kinslayer" was taken from his foe during a raid against the Mountain Dwarves. Kroann was able to disarm his enemy and used the sword to finish him.

His shield is a standard military issued shield, given to all Duergar soldiers. It's made up of banded dark iron and tempered wood. Several spikes are set into the rim making it an effective improvised weapon.

Aside from that Kroann also carries a military issued dagger and crossbow as well as a heavy leather backpack and a roll of thieves' tools.

BACKSTORY
Kroann hails from the Blackfist clan. Well known traders and mercenaries, they sell their finely crafted weapons and armors or skilled warriors to the highest bidder. Aside from this, the Blackfist clan also dabbles in the elicit drug trade, with mining operations set up to seek out and harvest Chiff.

"Chiff" is a mineral found in tiny deposits deep in the Underdark, commonly near iron and silver. It is a chalky white substance with a distinctly metallic tang when smelled. Chiff is highly addictive and grants the user a sense of euphoria leaving them in a dreamlike state until the effects of the drug wear off.

During one of his smuggling expeditions to the surface city of Hillsfar, Kroann made contact with the shadowy faction known as the Zhentarim. The Zhentarim took a keen interest in Kroann after rumor spread of a rare and highly addictive drug that was popping up in small pockets of the city. The Zhentarim tracked the origin of this drug back to Kroann and approached him to set up a partnership.

Kroann set up an operation to smuggle Chiff into Hillsfar and supply the Zhentarim for the fast growing demand for this new drug. When rumors started spreading about that Hillsfar and the neighboring cities were planning a campaign against the Drow, Kroann saw another opportunity for profit. From his past dealings with the Drow, whether from trade or warfare, Kroann had amassed a vast knowledge about the Dark Elves. Knowledge that would be valuable to anyone thinking about wading into the Underdark and waging war against the Dark Elves. With this in mind, Kroann began selling Drow secrets to the Zhentarim who in turn sold that intel to the government of Hillsfar.

Although they were once trading partners, feeding the Drow's insatiable hunger for slaves. The Blackfist Clan is currently at war with the Drow, battling for resources and valuable mining deposits. The Duergar have much to gain if the coming war against the Drow is successful, leaving little opposition for control of the Underdark.

Inevitability
2015-07-30, 03:10 PM
What's his alignment? Lawful Evil?

Snig
2015-07-30, 04:38 PM
Yes I should have added that in. Like most Duergar, he is LE.

Inevitability
2015-07-31, 05:08 AM
Yes I should have added that in. Like most Duergar, he is LE.

Just a question, but is he a dwarf refluffed as duergar, or is he actually using the Duergar stats from the DMG?

Snig
2015-07-31, 08:39 AM
He is a homebrew Dwarf Subrace. So just an addition to the Mountain Dwarf and the Hill Dwarf. If you look over on the homebrew forum, I have all the stats for the Duergar Subrace. They have a racial score of 7.5 which is on par with the Mountain Dwarf.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?431104-Duergar-Subrace

Celcey
2015-08-02, 06:53 AM
This is a really interesting character and a very well-developed backstory. I really like it. How does he fit into your campaign and with the rest of your party?

Spacehamster
2015-08-02, 10:53 AM
He is a homebrew Dwarf Subrace. So just an addition to the Mountain Dwarf and the Hill Dwarf. If you look over on the homebrew forum, I have all the stats for the Duergar Subrace. They have a racial score of 7.5 which is on par with the Mountain Dwarf.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?431104-Duergar-Subrace

Curious if here is any post which ranks the races with that "racial score" and reviews whats good and bad about them? :)

Ardantis
2015-08-03, 09:18 AM
Who else is in your party?

Snig
2015-08-03, 09:21 AM
This is a really interesting character and a very well-developed backstory. I really like it. How does he fit into your campaign and with the rest of your party?

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun creating him, and i'm really having a blast playing him. As far as the rest of the group, we're kind of a special forces team sent into the underdark to help take on the drow. We're made up of two Orcs, a Goblin and a Lizardfolk. The rest of the group tolerates my bad attitude and relies on me for tactical advice, blacksmithing and taking out traps.

Celcey
2015-08-05, 07:20 AM
So is the rest of the party also more on the evil side of the axis?

djreynolds
2015-08-05, 07:56 AM
Very cool build.

I'm playing a dwarven fighter as well. I'm looking to pick up rogue for expertise in athletics for use in shoving.

My question is does shield master trump the push or trip maneuvers or can they be used together.

Daishain
2015-08-05, 08:06 AM
Curious if here is any post which ranks the races with that "racial score" and reviews whats good and bad about them? :)
Not that I know of, the fellow that came up with the system apparently ranked them all (as he talks about the average values produced)
but there isn't a review that looks at and compares them all in that context, or at least no one has brought it to the attention of the guy running the list of such things :P

We just might have to rectify that.