PDA

View Full Version : Fellow player wants idea for a magic weapon. Got any?

snowman87
2015-07-30, 12:47 PM
Our DM recently led us to the abandoned castle of a Pit Fiend and we've been clearing it out to use as our headquarters. We found the fiend inside who forged weapons for the original owner and after freeing him our DM has decided that we can each get a custom magic item that the forger makes for us. I got a belt that increases my DEX bonus, our archer got a cloak that lets her fly, and our sorcerer gets to inhabit a golem body (these items do much more and I am quite aware that we are getting quite overpowered stuff, but the DM wants it so cool, cool). Our fighter wants a giant sword, like buster sword from FF7 or Auron's sword from FF9. He gets to decide what it does as a magical effect and he has asked my opinion. As his current favorite idea gives him incredibly unfair advantage in any given situation (a mirror image of him takes his place while he goes invisible and actually has HP and deals damage), I've been trying to think of something a little less ridiculously powerful. One idea is that the sword is sentient and can do what he wants but doesn't always let him. Any other ideas that might satisfy this anime-crazed fighter but not make him a super saiyan?

Ralanr
2015-07-30, 12:48 PM
Our DM recently led us to the abandoned castle of a Pit Fiend and we've been clearing it out to use as our headquarters. We found the fiend inside who forged weapons for the original owner and after freeing him our DM has decided that we can each get a custom magic item that the forger makes for us. I got a belt that increases my DEX bonus, our archer got a cloak that lets her fly, and our sorcerer gets to inhabit a golem body (these items do much more and I am quite aware that we are getting quite overpowered stuff, but the DM wants it so cool, cool). Our fighter wants a giant sword, like buster sword from FF7 or Auron's sword from FF9. He gets to decide what it does as a magical effect and he has asked my opinion. As his current favorite idea gives him incredibly unfair advantage in any given situation (a mirror image of him takes his place while he goes invisible and actually has HP and deals damage), I've been trying to think of something a little less ridiculously powerful. One idea is that the sword is sentient and can do what he wants but doesn't always let him. Any other ideas that might satisfy this anime-crazed fighter but not make him a super saiyan?

I have an idea, but I'll link it when I'm not on my phone.

It's several ideas actually. I enjoy making magic items.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-30, 12:59 PM
Something that occurs to me is on-demand material shifting - if you hit something that gets "damage reduction against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from weapons not made of X", the weapon automatically shifts to be made of X. If the creature has resistance to all physical damage, the blade shifts to do force damage, and so on. If a creature actually has vulnerability to a type of damage, the weapon shifts to deal that sort of damage.

But it only shifts after you land a blow. And if you are fighting multiple foes with different resistances and vulnerabilities, it has to shift every time you hit a foe of a particular type.

That's pretty powerful without being an instant win button.

SharkForce
2015-07-30, 01:01 PM
make it a sword of sharpness, add the benefit that it can cut through any object, including stuff like walls of force, solid stone, trees, etc.

Ralanr
2015-07-30, 01:22 PM
And I'm back!

Some of these are still WIP, but I'm sure you'd be able to tweak any that seem of interest. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429497-Maul-of-the-Molten-Sky-and-other-items-I-make-in-my-spare-time)

I also thought of one on the way back.

Storm blade (because I'm not thinking of clever names at the moment)
Greatsword, requires attunement.
2d6 slashing, 1d4 lightning.
While attuned: When you take an attack action that allows multiple attacks, you may sacrifice any number of those attacks. Each attack sacrificed this way allows you to fire a bolt of lightning up to 60ft and the target must make a dex save of DC:8+Prof+Dex or Str (whichever highest) or take 2d6 lightning damage on a failure or half as much on a success.
As a bonus action you may teleport to a square you targeted. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity (I don't know how teleports work with those. So if this is redundant then ignore it).

tieren
2015-07-30, 01:27 PM
Sounds like if you give it the same effect as a cloak of displacement your friend will get the bulk of what he was going for.

Knaight
2015-07-30, 01:34 PM
I'm assuming that it has some sort of magic effect that makes it far lighter (though not necessarily less massive) than it actually is. If it's reasonably maneuverable, then getting to spend a reaction on getting total cover from ranged attacks in a cone could be reasonable. Another option would be some sort of ridiculous sunder effect - it does x10 damage against inanimate objects, letting it get right through doors, trees, boats, and other such things in no time. Sometimes this will be useful, sometimes it won't, but when it is it's noticeable.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-30, 09:27 PM
Bonus action to Haste himself once or twice per short rest? You could also throw on the effects of Jump (x3 jump distance) and Spider Climb (can only end turn on a wall or ceiling while dashing), so he can bounce around and wall-run just like his favorite japanese animes. You could also let the Haste action be used for "climb onto a bigger creature" (DMG pg 271), so he could do some Shadow of the Colossus/God of War shenanigans.

Mr.Moron
2015-07-30, 10:15 PM
Sounds like he's looking for something offensively powerful, and your game as a pretty OTT feel. Here's a weapon from one of my games that might be appropriate, or at least have some ideas you could use.

Surge
Surge can take the form of whatever weapon the wielder is most familiar with.

Whenever Surge hits a non-surprised hostile creature it gains 1 Charge. Whenever the wielder makes an attack with Surge that misses, it loses all charges. If the wielder enters combat and does not make at least one attack with Surge, roll a d10 at the end of combat if the result of the roll is equal to or less than the number of charges Surge has, Surge loses all charges.

At any time the user can release all of the energy in surge when they make attack. This consumes all charges on Surge and if the attack hits, grants a bonus to the attacks damage roll. When surge is used in this fashion the attack roll cannot gain advantage or be re-rolled. The damage bonus is equal to the number of charges consume in this process squared.
For example
1 Charge: +1 Damage
2 Charges: +4 Damage
3 Charges: +9 Damage
4 Charges: +16 Damage
5 Charges: +25 Damage

snowman87
2015-08-03, 06:54 AM
Well, never mind on trying to NERF his concept. We had a guest DM while our normal one was away and he also thought that our campaign is over the top so he had us go through a portal into another dimension so he could have a completely satirical campaign of over-the-top-ness. The player who got the giant sword got a second one and a second pair of arms to hold them. We fought ridiculous monsters and faced ridiculous situations and then went back to the normal dimension. But now, apparently, our normal DM is going to let that player keep his extra arms... This campaign is getting to be too much for me.

Ralanr
2015-08-03, 07:35 AM
Well, never mind on trying to NERF his concept. We had a guest DM while our normal one was away and he also thought that our campaign is over the top so he had us go through a portal into another dimension so he could have a completely satirical campaign of over-the-top-ness. The player who got the giant sword got a second one and a second pair of arms to hold them. We fought ridiculous monsters and faced ridiculous situations and then went back to the normal dimension. But now, apparently, our normal DM is going to let that player keep his extra arms... This campaign is getting to be too much for me.

Sounds like you need to talk with your DM and fellow players.