PDA

View Full Version : A crash course in modern living for the fantasy creature.

frogglesmash
2015-07-30, 02:43 PM
So the premise is something like the Shadow Chasers, or Urban Arcana setting where you've got fantastical creatures essentially immigrating from the standard 3.5 fantasy setting to modern day earth and trying to integrate with our society. Now these fantastical beings have zero knowledge about how our world works, whether it be social interactions, our legal system, or our technology. My question is how would you go about educating these creatures on the basics of our world? What kind of information would be considered vital? How would you go about teaching it? Basically, what would a course with the same name as this thread look like?

Frosty
2015-07-30, 04:41 PM
The course probably vastly differs depending whom you're trying to teach. Trying to integrate mind flyers is much different than trying to integrate a succubus.

Yukitsu
2015-07-30, 05:14 PM
"First of all, the modern language is sarcasm which we also call irony which doesn't actually mean anything anymore. Next, we like to neatly segregate people into tiny little things based on arbitrary premise and then mock or discriminate against them for being different so they're going to just love you. 90% of our interactions with the outside world are through these tiny little magic things that we call iphones where we can get away with being hate criminals without any punishment, but in the real world for the other 10% of the time we have to pretend that we're sensitive people that are generally progressive. We get our news from comedy central and we get our comedy from Fox News, so if you want to know how things are going around the world I recommend you go try youtube. Oh yeah and I wasn't really paying attention to what you're wearing but you're probably going to want to not look like a hipster, especially if you are a hipster because the last thing they want to do is look like they belong to any group, except for the ones that are doing it ironically."

Arbane
2015-07-30, 05:39 PM
"Look both ways before crossing the street."

yellowrocket
2015-07-30, 05:51 PM
Assuming a high enough intelligence; con circuit here we come. I'd just explain the conventions to them and that's how they'd survive. Making money, traveling, seeing the world. Letting them find their place when they tire of that living.

Inevitability
2015-07-31, 04:43 AM
As always, mindrape is the answer. Cast it on people before they leave and impart them with full knowledge of the world, its customs, and anything else they should know.

Milo v3
2015-07-31, 06:12 AM
As always, mindrape is the answer. Cast it on people before they leave and impart them with full knowledge of the world, its customs, and anything else they should know.

I was going to say this as well. It save soooo much time, and isn't very evil if your just using it to share knowledge.