PDA

View Full Version : E6 Achieving Permanent Levitation as early as possible

NirDine
2015-07-30, 07:59 PM
So, I got invited to play E6 and in all my newbieness I decided that my PC has to constantly levitate. I found this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?368335-Achieving-Permanent-Levitation-Travel) and with AMFV's answer got my objective by level 5. Now, is there a way (in D&D 3/3.5 or pathfinder) to make it happen earlier in a build?

So far I was going to build something like: Psion (Nomad) 2 / Full-BAB class 2 / Elocater 1. In order to get Scorn Earth at level 5.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-07-30, 08:04 PM
Elocater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm) may require BAB +3, but it also requires Spring Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#springAttack) which itself requires BAB +4. So you won't be able to get Elocater sooner than 6th level if you use Psion, Wilder, Psychic Warrior, or any other class that doesn't have full BAB. The hard minimum to start taking it is 5th level if you only use full BAB classes leading up to it.

noob
2015-07-30, 08:04 PM
joke/No rule forbids putting a platform under your foot then jump and use a rope to pull the platform back to you./joke
There is a level 1 spell creating a disc of force it is extremely cheap to create an item casting it at will and there is an option to make the disc follow you which allows you to fly by staying on the disk(also the duration of the disk is something like one hour so it will not be annoying to have it in permanence)
The only problem is that you can not get down without breaking your disk while if the gm is extremely lax about the rules of physics you can do my trick.

gorfnab
2015-07-30, 08:09 PM
Drow race with the feats Highborn Drow (RoF) and Improved Levitation (RoF) gets you a Levitation option, however it's not permanent.

NirDine
2015-07-30, 08:30 PM
Elocater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm) may require BAB +3, but it also requires Spring Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#springAttack) which itself requires BAB +4. So you won't be able to get Elocater sooner than 6th level if you use Psion, Wilder, Psychic Warrior, or any other class that doesn't have full BAB. The hard minimum to start taking it is 5th level if you only use full BAB classes leading up to it.

Yes, I saw that. But a character with the Nomad’s Step ability does not need to meet the Spring Attack requirement.

joke/No rule forbids putting a platform under your foot then jump and use a rope to pull the platform back to you./joke
There is a level 1 spell creating a disc of force it is extremely cheap to create an item casting it at will and there is an option to make the disc follow you which allows you to fly by staying on the disk(also the duration of the disk is something like one hour so it will not be annoying to have it in permanence)
The only problem is that you can not get down without breaking your disk while if the gm is extremely lax about the rules of physics you can do my trick.

That might actually work. The disk I mean, I doubt my master would agree with the platform trick (but I'll probably try to do it sometime). Is it possible for a medium creature to stand on a 3 feet surface?

Drow race with the feats Highborn Drow (RoF) and Improved Levitation (RoF) gets you a Levitation option, however it's not permanent.

The idea of the character levitating it's not about actually having the ability, but the fact that I can travel without touching the floor. Flavor reasons.

Silva Stormrage
2015-07-30, 09:08 PM
Primodial giant template can give levitate at will. The problem being that the levitate spell doesn't let you move any direction but up or down.

Sagetim
2015-07-31, 01:12 AM
Boots of Levitation only cost 7500 gold and have a caster level of 3. So pick up levitation as a 2nd level spell known as a wizard, craft wondrous item at 3, and gather the necessary capital to built yourself a pair of the boots. Unless e6 has some rule against crafting magic items, this seems like the easiest method to me, and gets you permanent levitation at level 3.

Also, doesn't Tenser's Floating Disk (level 1 evocation) have a very limited weight limit? I might be remembering an old version of the spell, but it at least used to have a hard weight limit of 100lbs, which means using it to carry yourself or whatever generally required you to be a small character. As I recall, it also specifies that it follows along after you, so if you stand on it you wouldn't be able to make it go anywhere because it wouldn't be able to follow your stationariness to anywhere.

Corlindale
2015-07-31, 01:53 AM
If it's just about not touching the floor, Heavens Oracle from PF can do this easily with Lure of the Heavens. At 1st level you don,t leave tracks, at 5th level you stop touching the ground entirely.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-31, 02:01 AM
A Talisman of the Disk is 500 GP, and sort of does what you're looking for, plus quite a bit more (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385848-Disciple-of-Tenser-A-Guide-to-Maximum-Tenser-s-Floating-Disk-Utility). Alternately, a use activated item of TFD is 2000 GP, and can be designed to be usable as a non-action (a shoe that creates a spell effect each time you take a step is a favorite of mine).

Bronk
2015-07-31, 06:26 AM
You could be a Flumph! They were updated to 3.5 in Dungeon 118, page 30. Tiny, 2hd, +2LA, and they float. Just try to avoid being flipped over.

Edit: You could eventually have someone craft you some boots with the levitation properties from 'Horseshoes of a Zephyr', be a quadruped and wear them normally, or try to convince your DM that they'd still work if you wear the other two horseshoes as bracelets (silly, but you never know)...

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-31, 11:28 AM
Yes, I saw that. But a character with the Nomad’s Step ability does not need to meet the Spring Attack requirement.Unfortunately that only applies to the Pathfinder version–which also requires 5 ranks in Acrobatics, which in Pathfinder's skill system you can't get until level 5. So unless you're cherry-picking different requirements from different versions of the PrC, you still can't actually get into it until level 6.

Now me, I would just take six levels of Warlock and grab Fell Flight instead of trying to hover early (mainly because I am a fan of Warlocks)–but the magic item suggestions are pretty cool, build-independent and probably your best bet for early access. A continuous Floating Disc effect at CL 3 (to support 300 pounds, just in case your GM cares about that) would set you back 6,000 by the hard-calculation tables, which is a lot but might be within your 3rd level manufacturing budget. If you can con your way to a lower CL, it'll be cheaper. And it needn't actually create a literal disc, either; it could just be a belt or something that lets you hover in the same way that a disc does, which might be better for the aesthetic you're going for?

NirDine
2015-07-31, 01:21 PM
Wow, those are a lot of ideas. I'll probably go with Corlindale's suggestion and play a Heavens Oracle from PF. The 'barely touch the ground' state is actually enough. Thanks everyone.