PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Favourite non-DMG/non-MIC Magic Items?

Thurbane
2015-07-31, 02:39 AM
Just wondering what some of your favourite magic items that don't appear in the DMG (SRD) or MIC are?

I'll list some of mine:

Book of All KNowledge (Complete Champion)
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (Tome of Magic)
Domain Staves (Complete Champion)
Glove of the Master Strategist (Ghostwalk)
Iconic Guardian (Complete Champion)
Knowstones (Dragon # 333)
Phaant's Luckstone (Ghostwalk)
Rod of Many Wands (Complete Mage)
Sandals of the Vagabond (Complete Champion)
Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (Tome of Magic)

Cheers - T

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-31, 03:04 AM
Portable Hole: I know it's stupidly overpriced, but there's something charming about wearing a miniature demiplane as a scarf.

Cloak of Arachnida: It lets you be Spiderman. What's not to love?

Bag of Devouring: supposed to be a cursed item, but is ridiculously useful. The 'canon' answer behind what it is is pretty great, too. I really want to play a character who has one of these as an Item Familiar at some point, it would be horrific and great. :smalltongue:

Boots of Skating are technically psionic, but I just like how silly the price is for what they actually do. 7,000 rollerblades, I mean c'mon.

Thurbane
2015-07-31, 03:05 AM
Oops, stupid me, meant non-MIC and non-DMG items. :smalltongue:

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-31, 03:09 AM
Ah, that's a bit more constraining, sure.

Bottle of Sand, then! But that's just because I like Sand Shapers more than I really should. :smalltongue:

ben-zayb
2015-07-31, 03:26 AM
most of my favorites grant lots of options/versatility instead of straight up power

Casting Glove: a Gloves of Storing, but you can activate any stored magic
item inside without pulling it out

Wand Chamber: free "wand slots"

Elvencraft Longbow/Quarterstaff: three weapons in one, which means three varied magic enhancements and three wand chambers

Psychoactive Skin of Proteus: at will min ML Metamorphosis

Rod of Ropes: plenty of uses, aside from making you feel a little more like a brooding, orphaned, crimefighter

Glove of Object Reading: not exactly versatile, but an at will Clairvoyant Sense will still be useful in plenty of situations

2015-07-31, 03:35 AM
Thought Bottles, for the ridiculous shenanigans that they make possible.

Slippers of Battledancing, because Bards deserve a way to be relevant in combat.

Curmudgeon
2015-07-31, 04:23 AM
Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms and Equipment Guide). A specific power-up for a class notably lacking in power.

HammeredWharf
2015-07-31, 04:37 AM
Slippers of Battledancing and the Vest of Legends from DMG2, for your bardic needs.

Panic Buttons from Complete Scoundrel, for those of us who aren't blessed with swift action teleportation.

Weapon Capsules from... Complete Adventurer? Scoundrel? For 3d6 of extra damage per attack on low-level chars.

Aptitude weapons and maneuver items from Tome of Battle. Moment of Perfect Mind. For everyone.

NevinPL
2015-07-31, 05:32 AM
Non-magic:

Bandoleer (FRCS),
Marbles (AEG),
Potion belt (FRCS),

Magic:
That depends. Does MIC reprints count ?

Jormengand
2015-07-31, 09:46 AM
(Greater) amulet of the silver tongue. Also Item Familiar, though it's not actually a type of item in its own right.

Optimator
2015-07-31, 12:44 PM
I'm a big fan of a lot of the magic items I the Faerun books--particularly the high-powered ones. Such a gold mine. I'm AFB but there are plenty, and many of them are toned-down and in the MIC but I prefer using both the lesser and more-expensive versions when necessary.

BWR
2015-07-31, 02:57 PM
Pretty much anything in the Book of Wondrous Inventions.

Other than that, the demihuman Relics from Mystara were great. Flavorful and fun, even if they were ridiculously underpowered by 3.x standards.