PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice on building an Old School Bard

GreyBlack
2015-07-31, 11:50 AM
Hello everyone! So everyone's favorite party-sacrificing, evil-cult converting Antipaladin has been slain (may he rest in pieces) at the hands of an idiot barbarian named George (think Of Mice and Men), who poured a potion of Cure Serious Wounds into a Dhampir. So! I'm building a new character, and I have an idea but need the Playground's advice.

I have always been in love with the Bard class, but now I have an idea for a character who is an Old School (read: 1st edition) Bard, who climbed his way up the ranks to play the lute. We are using 25 point buy, and (as much as it pains me to not play him as a human), I want to play him as a Gnome dungeon delver of an arcane university seeking stories and secrets of the world around him. HOWEVER, I'm having some trouble finding ways to build this character in the vein of the old school bard. Can anyone give any recommendations on how to build this particular character?

For reference, the old school bard is SUPPOSED TO BE:
1. A fighter of at least 5th level.
2. A thief/rogue of at least 5th level.
3. Give up his thieving ways to become a Druid.
4. Join a college.

The backstory for the character: I was born about 128 years after a massive, cataclysmic war to a lower class family, and had some particular talents to keep me and my family alive. Over time, I began to pursue more academic pursuits, despite needing to make ends meet and needing to take some "odd jobs" to cover expenses, when I took to adventuring and found a love of exploring old tombs and caverns, searching for lost lore, when I eventually became a well-known history scholar and joined the an arcane university. However, some in the university have laughed at some of my theories, and now I'm going out to prove I'm right.

We are 10th level. Anyone willing to help?

ComaVision
2015-07-31, 12:13 PM
I know the thread's tagged Pathfinder but there's a 3.5 Prestige Class for that, the Fochlucan Lyrist.

Corvino
2015-07-31, 04:43 PM
Given your back story, have you considered an Archeologist archetype Bard? They lose out on the standard Inspire Courage and other performance types, as well as Versatile performance. But they gain a very nice swift-action luck bonus to saves and attack rolls in addition to trapfinding and access to Rogue talents. They keep the usual Bardic knowledge stuff.

They're a fairly good rogue-replacement, decent in combat and there's nothing stopping you using a lute for flavour.