PDA

View Full Version : Damage Dealt VS Damage Received

DeadAggressor
2015-07-31, 11:50 AM
As topic, are both of these the same? I'm asking because of the feat Boomerang Daze sets the DC to 10+Damage Dealt. If I attack something and my damage role totals say 28, but the defender can reduce the damage received by say 10 through resistance/reduction, would the save be 38 or 28? I'm probably just over thinking this, but wanted other's opinions.

Arc_knight25
2015-07-31, 12:14 PM
Seems like your overthinking it. The save would be 28 in this case.

Lerondiel
2015-07-31, 12:15 PM
As topic, are both of these the same? I'm asking because of the feat Boomerang Daze sets the DC to 10+Damage Dealt. If I attack something and my damage role totals say 28, but the defender can reduce the damage received by say 10 through resistance/reduction, would the save be 38 or 28? I'm probably just over thinking this, but wanted other's opinions.

It'll be interesting what references others can bring into this, but a DM would have a pretty easy argument for 28 - you cant daze someone with damage they never felt

HammeredWharf
2015-07-31, 12:16 PM
28. It's about the damage you dealt, not the damage you could've dealt.

heavyfuel
2015-07-31, 01:46 PM
Your damage roll was 38. This isn't the same as damage dealt, which was 28.

The entry indicates the amount of damage ignored (usually 5 to 15 points) and the type of weapon that negates the ability. For example, the werewolf's entry reads "damage reduction 10/silver": Each time a foe hits a werewolf with a weapon, the damage dealt by that attack is reduced by 10 points (to a minimum of 0).

You never dealt the extra 10 damage, becuase it was reduced. The language used is very clear.

Curmudgeon
2015-07-31, 01:48 PM
For a save, it's got to be the damage dealt to that specific enemy, not the damage you might have dealt to some other enemy.

Khedrac
2015-07-31, 02:20 PM
There is a difference between damage dealt and damage received, but it is a rarer circumstance. Suppose you hit a target for 25 points of damage and they have DR5/-...
Damage Dealt is 20 (as everyone says above).
However the target is under the effect of Shield Other so the damage is split between them and their ally.
Damage received by the target = 10
Damage received by the Shield Other caster = 10.

This is why the boomerang daze specifies damage dealt - DC 30 (not 35 or 20).

ben-zayb
2015-07-31, 07:34 PM
There is a difference between damage dealt and damage received, but it is a rarer circumstance. Suppose you hit a target for 25 points of damage and they have DR5/-...
Damage Dealt is 20 (as everyone says above).
However the target is under the effect of Shield Other so the damage is split between them and their ally.
Damage received by the target = 10
Damage received by the Shield Other caster = 10.

This is why the boomerang daze specifies damage dealt - DC 30 (not 35 or 20).i.e. Damage Dealt is with respect to the damager, while Damage Received is with respect to the damaged. Another example would be a CL10 Fireball hitting X enemies, dealing X*10d6 damage in total, with each enemy receiving 10d6 damage, on failed saves.

noob
2015-07-31, 07:37 PM
So if I have an boomerang creating aoe damage the dc increase if I damage multiple people.
Does it works with damage inflicted to the walls as a collateral effect?

Renen
2015-07-31, 08:47 PM
Dealt to the target obviously. Hitting walls wont make the target daze harder.

marphod
2015-07-31, 09:27 PM
So if I have an boomerang creating aoe damage the dc increase if I damage multiple people.

No, the DC is different for the different characters. My Wizard casts a fireball with some metamagic feat adding a secondary effect with its own save of 10+Damage Dealt. (I can't think of any off the top of my head, but assume one exists.)

Rolled damage from the fireball ends up being 37.

Roguey McRoguerson has Evasion, makes the save, and takes no damage from the fireball. No damage done. (By definition, no secondary effect)

Red d' ragoon has Energy Resistence (Fire) of 15, and makes the save. half of 37 is 18; 18-15=3. Red takes 3 points of damage, and the secondary effect has a save DC of 10+3=13.

Mac Desave make their save while Eva Son the Imp has improved evasion but fails the save. Both take half damage, 18, and have a secondary save of 10+18=28.

Phald Owen fails the save and takes 37 points. Phald's secondary save is DC 10+37=47.

No ones save is 10+37+18+18+3 (total damage done to all targets).

Does it works with damage inflicted to the walls as a collateral effect?

If the wall has to make a save, yes. It makes the save based on the damage dealt to the wall.

ben-zayb
2015-07-31, 09:46 PM
^ what they said...I messed up a bit with my explanation, but I'm pretty sure I wrote total damage dealt. In the context of boomerang daze, which references a particular hit (i.e. a successful attack roll against a particular target), the resolution of damage dealt is contained within that context. Otherwise, you open a can of worms of "damage dealt" = "every single point of damage I have dealt in my entire lifetime, ever"

Taveena
2015-08-01, 07:46 AM
There are cases where it is, instead, "your damage roll", such as the DC of Stand Still. But in this case, it's damage dealt to/recieved by the target.