PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Under a Diviner's Nose [3.5]

Business Scrub
2015-07-31, 04:16 PM
Hello Playground! I have a unique situation that I need your help with.

In a world that I am building, I have two characters: one is a diviner, the other a spy assassin (note: not necessarily the classes by those names).

The spy is tasked with gathering information on the diviner and when the time is right, kill her. However, for plot reasons it is critically important the spy remains undercover as long as possible. (If the PC's expose her beforehand, which is entirely possible, it is a fantastic success for the players.)

The Diviner's build (gestalt), is Human Cleric 5/Divine Oracle 10//Psion 15 (As well as having wealth by level as a 15th character: 200,000 gp) In addition, the Diviner has the benefit of the ability Indexing, as described below.

The Assassin's build (not gestalt), is what I'm trying to determine. The only requirements is that the assassin is a Yuan-ti pureblood, and has 20 class levels on top of that. She has wealth by level as a 20th level character (760,000 gp) and access to up to 3 reasonable custom items, that cost no more than 100,000 gp each.

Their day-to-day interaction is that the Assassin is acting as the secretary/assistant of the Diviner, who is a major government official, so the two interact closely. The Diviner is (obviously) very intelligent, but not paranoid. As such, she will have taken careful precautions about who she trusts, but isn't constantly suspicious of people after she looks into their background. Keep in mind that because of the setting, if the Assassin's nature as a Yuan-ti is discovered it is as good as being caught.

Hopefully this challenge excites some of those out there that like building characters. Of course full builds would be wonderfully helpful, but even just item/class/cover story ideas are very useful too.
And thanks for reading this wall of text! :smallsmile:

Indexing (Su): The Diviner has access to an unlimited source of empirical knowledge about the world, but finding the answers is difficult and navigating this dimension is time-consuming.
Once per week, the Diviner may go into a trance in which she has access to almost any answer she needs. During this trance, her mind leaves her body, which lies inert (though it continues to function enough to keep itself alive). During the trance, the Diviner cannot receive any kind of message or information from any other plane of existence. She takes with her a phantasmal copy of all items she possesses (which behave identically to the real item), these items are similarly isolated from all other planes. Not even direct divine intervention can allow communication between the Diviner and another plane, or allow her to wake from her trance early.
The trance takes 1d4+1 hours, in which time the Diviner may ask an equal number of questions. The questions may be of any topic of her choosing, but the only answer she will receive is limited to one word or title. (Suitable answers might be 'yes', 'no', 'twenty' or 'The temple of Boccob' depending on the question asked.) The answer is always correct in the most literal interpretation of the question asked, with no chance that the Diviner is lied to or mislead. Questions that cannot be answered in a word or title don't return any answer (though the Diviner knows this, which might be an answer in and of itself), and may ask another question instead.
Questions about the future are answered according to the most probable outcome.

Hecuba
2015-07-31, 04:34 PM
You want Spymaster or Zhentarim Spy for the Deep Cover ability.

The decision as to which will depend on whether Indexing is treated as a divination spell or not-- ZSpy's language is broader.

Venca Blooded is always a good option as well.

Business Scrub
2015-07-31, 05:20 PM
Holy cow, deep cover is excellent. How did I not know that exists? Thank you kindly, these are all wonderful suggestions.

icefractal
2015-07-31, 05:38 PM
If the assassin is good at disguise, she could have replaced the existing secretary early on, instead of being the one to apply for the position. That way, while the diviner may have asked "Is this secretary trustworthy?" before originally appointing her, she's a lot less likely to ask "Has my secretary been replaced with an assassin who looks exactly the same?"

And if the switch happened very early on, when the original secretary had only been working for a few days, there's not much knowledge or familiarity to give the ruse away.

Hecuba
2015-07-31, 09:54 PM
Holy cow, deep cover is excellent. How did I not know that exists? Thank you kindly, these are all wonderful suggestions.

It's a favorite of mine. When I DM, I try to include at least one NPC spymaster running around with it and interacting with the party in different covers (just to see if they can spot it).