PDA

View Full Version : Level 0 fire spell?

martixy
2015-07-31, 10:24 PM
The hell... ?

There's a sonic, cold, electricity and acid cantrip.

Isn't there something you can light your campfire with?

pwcsponson
2015-07-31, 10:28 PM
Energy Substituted Sonic Snap... ala Flame Pop?

IZ42
2015-07-31, 10:39 PM
Spark lights objects on fire, and 1d6/round (IIRC) is better than 1d3 once.

Krobar
2015-07-31, 10:39 PM
In 2nd edition there was a Flamefinger cantrip. We just brought that on in for our games.

martixy
2015-07-31, 10:48 PM
Energy Substituted Sonic Snap... ala Flame Pop?

Well having to count on 2 metamagic feats kinda defeats the purpose of using a cantrip anyway.

May I steal that name? I'll just create a fire version that works exactly like Ray of Frost/Electric Jolt and call it RAW forever after.

Also, hey! I know you... welcome to GitP.

AmberVael
2015-07-31, 11:03 PM
Prestidigitation can light a fire, at least according to Tome and Blood.

Firefinger: You cause a jet of flame up to 1/2 foot long to shoot forth from your finger. The flame is hot and ignites combustible materials. Lighting a torch with this effect is a standard action (rather than a full-round action), but lighting any other fire with it takes at least a standard action (DM's discretion).

See the rules on the WoTC site here. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707)

ericgrau
2015-07-31, 11:10 PM
Yeah it deals 0 damage but it can light a fire. It's a full round action with mundane objects so it's not that big of a deal to start a fire in D&D. Or you can spend 1 gp on a match tindertwig to do it as a standard action.

nedz
2015-08-01, 12:02 PM
Spell Research.

You have a selection of models to choose from — just change the element of an existing cantrip.

Nifft
2015-08-01, 12:08 PM
Isn't there something you can light your campfire with?

Prestidigitation, as noted above.

Additionally, in my games, I'd allow Flare to ignite a campfire or light a torch.

pwcsponson
2015-08-01, 04:38 PM
Well having to count on 2 metamagic feats kinda defeats the purpose of using a cantrip anyway.

May I steal that name? I'll just create a fire version that works exactly like Ray of Frost/Electric Jolt and call it RAW forever after.

Also, hey! I know you... welcome to GitP.

I'm pretty sure no DM would raise more than an eyebrow if a player wants to say "I want a cantrip like Sonic Snap, but fire damage, and without the rider effect".

Also... thanks! I enjoy this board quite a lot. Mind if I ask where you know me from?

marphod
2015-08-01, 11:44 PM
Not WotC, but Sean K Reynold's has Fire Flash and Fire Hand (seankreynolds.com)

Really, I can't imagine a DM objecting to a Cantrip that does a 1d3 energy ray.

Inevitability
2015-08-02, 02:25 AM
Sanctum Spell Burning Hands.

Come on, you knew it was coming.