PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Titan Fighter

Shadowscale
2015-07-31, 11:18 PM
Can someone take a swing at optimizing the Titan Fighter Pathfinder Archtype? I was thinking maybe single class fighter variant mc barbarian on an Orc, unless something else could do it way better.

All ideas and build welcome. Preferably to 30th if possible.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-31, 11:48 PM
Are you sure you want to play that archetype? It's rather gear-dependent. Disposable blades get expensive fast, and unless you're in a high-tech setting I don't know where you'll find all that compressed gas.
That's an Attack on Titan reference, in case you didn't get it.
On a more serious note, I don't think there's a way to make that archetype actually good. At 1st level, you can use a Large greatsword (3d6 damage) at a -4 penalty. That's an average increase of 0.875 damage per -1 to hit. Instead of armor training, that penalty is slowly offset until at 15th level you finally don't have a penalty. And then on weapon training checks... well, instead of a bonus to hit (which thus also applies to CMB) and damage, you get a bonus to CMB and CMD.

I see literally nothing redeeming about the archetype. It replaces Armor and Weapon training with worse abilities, and being able to attempt to [maneuver] targets two sized larger than you doesn't mean much of anything, because they'll have high enough Strength scores (plus the size modifier) to boost their CMD to the point that you can't reliably [maneuver] them.

Shadowscale
2015-07-31, 11:57 PM
Fair enough, I thought there would be some increase compared to THF in at least something, I girss I was wrong, could sepnr help with that archtype instead then?

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-01, 12:09 AM
I know "X is bad" isn't the answer you're looking for when you ask "help me optimize X", but Titan Fighter is a serious downgrade from stock fighter (it takes their two class features and nerfs them, hard), enough so that I can't in good conscience encourage its use.

If you really want to HIT GUY WITH BIG SWORD (let's face it, we all want to do that, deep down inside), I think Titan Mauler barbarian does the trick (level 3 looks like a good break point). The rules on this are super confusing, though, because object size and weapon size are different. This (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/45038) explains it sort of well.

Also I don't think Titan Mauler supports THF with big weapons, which is dumb.

Alternately, you could ask your DM to let you port in Monkey Grip (http://dndtools.pw/feats/complete-warrior--61/monkey-grip--1978/) from 3.5. It lets you use a weapon of one size larger (e.g. two-hand a Large greatsword) at a -2 penalty.

Shadowscale
2015-08-01, 12:43 AM
I more just wanted to be the stereotypical fighter, with the biggest hit dice and most annoying numbers of melee death as possible. I thought a large or huge sized great sword would be around what the THF Archtype was capable of by pure strength grossness, it appears I was wrong on all counts.

VexingFool
2015-08-01, 12:49 AM
I like it for a 1 level dip if you can combine it with the Giant Blooded campaign trait from the Giantslayer AP. That'll basically make it Monkey Grip.

Then I'd go Abyssal Bloodrager, Ranger or Slayer.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-01, 01:43 AM
Are you sure you want to play that archetype? It's rather gear-dependent. Disposable blades get expensive fast, and unless you're in a high-tech setting I don't know where you'll find all that compressed gas.You laugh, but if Psionics are allowed that's exactly where I'd go with the idea!

Be a half-giant, for Powerful Build. You can now use Huge two handed weapons.

Next, take two levels in Soulknife and grab the Emulate Melee Weapon blade skill, giving you the ability to turn your mind blade into a Dogslicer. A Colossal Dogslicer, which is a two handed weapon for Huge characters. Grab the Disposable Weapon feat, which lets you give a Fragile weapon (like the Dogslicer) the Broken condition to confirm a critical hit, and go to town with Critical feats.

For extra hilarity, grab Weapon Finesse and Extra Blade Skill (Mind Blade Finesse), so you can ignore strength entirely and Finessify your Colossal-scale weapon. Nimble Blade Soulknife gives you both for free if you stay for four levels, at which point you might as well stay for five so you can form your Mindblade as a free action and do this every round.

Bonus variant: the Psionics Augmented: Soulknife playtest has a trait that lets you apply any one weapon special quality to your Mindblade no matter what form it takes. Grab that, pick the Fragile quality, and you can do this with any weapon you like--including exotic weapons, since Emulate Melee Weapon includes proficiency for free. I suggest something with an 18-20 threat, or a Scythe if you want fewer but stronger big hits.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-08-01, 05:01 AM
Or take a few levels of Aegis, for Powerful Build (as well as some other nice goodies from the class) allowing you to take whatever race you'd like.

Why Aegis? Because with a couple of levels of Soulknife (as mentioned above), you can qualify for the Metaforge PrC, and get the net results of both base classes at once.

...And then do all the other shenanigans mentioned above. Because yay, shenanigans.