PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming AAR - Crusader Kings 2 (and beyond?)

SilverLeaf167
2015-08-01, 07:50 AM
Why hello again!

I am aware and apologetic that my projects tend to be killed by the ever-deadly combination of bugs and procrastination. However, I'm once again struck with inspiration for a new AAR, this time starting with Crusader Kings 2. As before, the style would be that of a detailed in-character narrator sprinkled with screenshots - metagame and player perspectives are separated from the main text - and I'd aim to roleplay the current ruler to my best ability while avoiding too gamey decisions and aimless blobbing. As the republican elections of my EU4 AARs were fun and relatively popular, something similar will be included when appropriate. Readers will have the ability to impact the realm's general direction.

If all goes well and I actually manage to finish it for once, the save will be converted to Europa Universalis 4 and continued there. In the very optimistic future, Victoria 2 might be the next step. At my pace, Hearts of Iron 4 will probably be released by then. :smalltongue: So, with only slightly overblown faith in my conviction, this might very well be a good old mega-campaign.

For now, though, I'm asking for suggestions regarding the very beginning. Who to play as? I'd prefer a Catholic count, as they have plenty of room for interesting stuff without endless warfare and I'm familiar with their culture (making the writing easier), but I can compromise if someone comes up with something better - I mean, a Finnish tribe would be cool, but they're pretty iffy on the gameplay side. The 1066 start would make for a shorter game, but is pretty boring in my opinion, so I'm leaning towards 867. Custom rulers are an option but not a must.

I'll be gone for the next week, but I decided to post this now as I'm anxious to get started as soon as I get back. Post your two cents or just plain interest! And in the meantime, feel free to take a look at my tragically canceled Tibet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?368412-Europa-Universalis-IV-After-Action-Report-Tibet) and Novgorod (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384994-Europa-Universalis-IV-After-Action-Report-Novgorod) games.

OrcusMcP
2015-08-01, 08:07 AM
Always interested for more CK2 stories, LPs and AARs!

While I know you wanted to go Catholic, I'm going to be contrary and say start as a Muslim. We don't see enough playthroughs from the Muslim side.

There's some interesting 867 muslim starts as an emir on the Arabian peninsula under the Caliph, but I'm going to suggest one of my favourite starts ever: Zirid Sultan of Africa, 1066.

SilverLeaf167
2015-08-01, 02:33 PM
I took a look at Zirid, and they do seem like an interesting choice; little to start with but lots of potential for growth, and in Africa, a little blobbing won't even make you that OP too quickly. Definitely the top option at this point... well, more like the only option. :smallamused: Keep them coming though!

IthilanorStPete
2015-08-02, 08:50 PM
Good to see you back! As for suggestions...perhaps one of the lesser Rurikids in 1066? They've got lots of interesting intra-family conflict, the struggles of spreading Orthodoxy outside the ERE, and desperately trying to establish themselves before the Mongols come. Alternatively, you could go with the Capet in the 867 start and try to match the historical Capetians, or maybe try forming England as Alfred the Great.

Flickerdart
2015-08-03, 05:16 PM
I second the 1066 Rurikids. Polotsk specifically; Rostov, Novgorod, and Galich are very strong at the start of the game.

SilverLeaf167
2015-08-04, 12:46 PM
Hey, glad to see you're interested, and while France and England are definitely options, I'd rather steer away from the Russians to... well, to avoid retreading too much. My last AAR was as Russia after all.

Flickerdart
2015-08-04, 03:43 PM
What about Wales? In 867 it's a much more challenging start.

Anxe
2015-08-04, 04:13 PM
I vote for someone in Greece!

OrcusMcP
2015-08-04, 04:32 PM
There's some very interesting Crusader State starts in Greece, Anatolia and Syria if you don't want to do a super long campaign.

SilverLeaf167
2015-08-11, 07:02 AM
So, I went with the sort of compromise that very well might end up not pleasing anyone, but at least combines aspects of everyone's recommendations! Mediterranean, Orthodox, kinda small... Greek...

I decided to go with a 867 start after all, in order to give the pagans more of a chance to thrive, since it's always fun to see them survive. I've never written a CK2 AAR before, so I'll have to get used to it, but hopefully you can bear with me!

Find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?433408-Paradox-AAR-Shadow-of-the-Acropolis&p=19658820)