PDA

View Full Version : questions about clone

Raishoiken
2015-08-01, 10:36 AM
Are they corpses? Cuz they're described as soulless pieces of inert flesh and rot if not preserved. All signs point to technically dead bodies, thoughts? Also, if you clone yourself while under the effects of shapechange, does the resultant clone keep that body?

Venger
2015-08-01, 12:25 PM
Are they? Cuz they're described as soulless pieces of inert flesh and rot if not preserved. All signs point to technically dead bodies, thoughts? Also, if you clone yourself while under the effects of shapechange, does the resultant clone keep that body?

are they what?

they're inert only if the spell completes while you're actually still alive. If that happens, just blast him with gentle repose or dip him in a giant mason jar of quintessence.

why do you ask if it's treated as a corpse? animate dead? if thats he route you want to go, stone to flesh on a sculpture of your desired monster's gonna be a lot easier, and on just as solid ground as far a sRAW goes.

that's a pretty good question. the answer is yes. all variables re: legality of a spell such as targeting and whatnot are only checked for at the actual time of casting and not afterwards, so as long as shapechange is up when you cast it, you're good, and don't need to find a way of keeping it up for 2d4 months. good luck getting a DM to allow it though. a likely outcome is for you to be in your base body and have the remaining time on the spell still up, then when it wears off being in whatever your normal shape is

Raishoiken
2015-08-01, 03:00 PM
are they what?

they're inert only if the spell completes while you're actually still alive. If that happens, just blast him with gentle repose or dip him in a giant mason jar of quintessence.

why do you ask if it's treated as a corpse? animate dead? if thats he route you want to go, stone to flesh on a sculpture of your desired monster's gonna be a lot easier, and on just as solid ground as far a sRAW goes.

that's a pretty good question. the answer is yes. all variables re: legality of a spell such as targeting and whatnot are only checked for at the actual time of casting and not afterwards, so as long as shapechange is up when you cast it, you're good, and don't need to find a way of keeping it up for 2d4 months. good luck getting a DM to allow it though. a likely outcome is for you to be in your base body and have the remaining time on the spell still up, then when it wears off being in whatever your normal shape is

The plan is to ( this is what I'm unsure about) is to pao the clone body into whatever if it counts as a corpse/object then suiciding into the polymorphed body. Make another clone to Make the change permanent

Renen
2015-08-01, 03:07 PM
Or you know... Cast PaO twice

Raishoiken
2015-08-01, 03:11 PM

Can't polymorphe into a templated creature. corpses, however are objects, so if clones are corpses (i think) you could polymorph the clone into a templated corpse

frogglesmash
2015-08-01, 06:19 PM
Though PaO can be dispelled, whereas the clone of the PaO clone can't be "dispelled" back to its original form because that is its original form, plus there's no chance that the DM will make the "spells can't stack with themselves" argument.

Can't polymorphe into a templated creature. corpses, however are objects, so if clones are corpses (i think) you could polymorph the clone into a templated corpse

PaO says it works as Polymorph except where specified, nowhere does it specify that Templated creatures are a legal option in PaO's description therefore your trick doesn't work.

Raishoiken
2015-08-01, 09:00 PM
Though PaO can be dispelled, whereas the clone of the PaO clone can't be "dispelled" back to its original form because that is its original form, plus there's no chance that the DM will make the "spells can't stack with themselves" argument.

PaO says it works as Polymorph except where specified, nowhere does it specify that Templated creatures are a legal option in PaO's description therefore your trick doesn't work.

I'm Not creating a creature using polymorph I'm turning the clone body (object) into a templated corpse (object)

Renen
2015-08-01, 09:07 PM
Can't make templates things. Regardless if they have the "dead" condition or not.

frogglesmash
2015-08-01, 09:14 PM
You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.

Technically OP is actually correct since the line specifies "creature with a template," not "corpse with a template," and corpses are treated as objects, not creatures.

Renen
2015-08-01, 09:26 PM
A corpse is also a creature that is "dead". Being dead doesn't stop it from moving around and doing stuff (if it got the right feats) because death has no listed downsides. Strict RAW is cool.

frogglesmash
2015-08-01, 09:28 PM
A corpse is also a creature that is "dead". Being dead doesn't stop it from moving around and doing stuff (if it got the right feats) because death has no listed downsides. Strict RAW is cool.

But that's a far sillier loophole than the one OP's exploiting

Renen
2015-08-01, 09:48 PM
Far sillier? OP can stack on every single template this way. Starting with things like the paragon template, and ending with Lolth touched.

frogglesmash
2015-08-01, 09:50 PM
Far sillier? OP can stack on every single template this way. Starting with things like the paragon template, and ending with Lolth touched.

I said silly, not hopelessly broken.

Renen
2015-08-01, 09:55 PM
I said silly, not hopelessly broken.

Too late! Meet my half (insert list of every monster here), paragon, Lolth touched, Saint, mineral Warrior, (insert every printed template here) phrenic bunny!

Wheres that hand grenade?

frogglesmash
2015-08-01, 10:04 PM
Too late! Meet my half (insert list of every monster here), paragon, Lolth touched, Saint, mineral Warrior, (insert every printed template here) phrenic bunny!

Wheres that hand grenade?

I maintain that it could be considered a completely legitimate option at some tables provided the player is capable of exhibiting a modicum of restraint.