PDA

View Full Version : Looking for monster Ex abilities

martixy
2015-08-01, 11:35 AM
I'm looking for a list of all monstrous(or even weird PC-acquire-able) extraordinary abilities(or at least input as to what I missed).

This is obviously a good resource and the starting point:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm

Apart from that there's:
Web
Amphibious (Ex waterbreathing)
Aboleth Slime and Mucus Cloud

I want specifically ones that are adaptations to extreme environments or special types of defences or special attacks that are not just save this or take x damage(incl. ability damage). Examples of such attacks are Swallow Whole or Aboleth's Slime ability, but not poisons, acid spitting and the like.

P.S. And also for stuff like the Deepspawn feat from Lords of Madness which adds new bodily parts, in this case 2 tentacles(and respectively 2 tentacle attacks).

eggynack
2015-08-01, 04:01 PM
There's a bunch of weird ones on aberrations, as would befit an aberration. Those include the deepspawn (LEoF, 166) with its spawn generation ability, the dharculus (PlH, 112) with dualplanar, the ethergaunt (FF, 64) with total vision, and the nilshai (UE, 67) with its every round bonus standard action. Basically, it's a lot of abilities that you'd expect to be supernatural, but turn out to be just extraordinary predicated on the weirdness of the creatures. I gots a whole list in my druid handbook, though they're obviously selected on the basis of how powerful they'd be for a druid rather than how interesting they are from the perspective of someone compiling a list of Ex abilities.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-01, 04:42 PM
... and the nilshai (UE, 67) with its every round bonus standard action.
That's not correct. Unapproachable East is a pre-3.5 book. Nilshai have an extra partial action each round. That's a 3.0 D&D thing; there's no such action in 3.5 D&D. Now, a DM could decide that the best minor adjustment to make that work in their 3.5 game would be to turn it into an extra standard action; but a DM might instead give them an extra move action.

eggynack
2015-08-01, 04:49 PM
That's not correct. Unapproachable East is a pre-3.5 book. Nilshai have an extra partial action each round. That's a 3.0 D&D thing; there's no such action in 3.5 D&D. Now, a DM could decide that the best minor adjustment to make that work in their 3.5 game would be to turn it into an extra standard action; but a DM might instead give them an extra move action.
That's silly. A partial action has certain functionality, and that functionality is basically the same as that of a standard action. The creature is explicitly described as using their extra action to cast spells. Yes, it's not technically a standard action, but it acts as one for seemingly all purposes.

martixy
2015-08-01, 06:26 PM
Savage Species has references to those as well.

It's frequently also strongly implied that a partial action there would constitute what we consider "standard" actions now(like casting spells).

But its pretty easy to spruce that up to 3.5 standards.

Anyway, thanks for the list eggy, keep em coming.
Aberrations are the boss. I'm kind of into lovecraftian weirdness, so they're my favourite creature type.