PDA

View Full Version : I'd like some help with my version of a Warboy in 3.5.

aleucard
2015-08-01, 03:12 PM
To explain, I'm going to be making a character in an Eberron campaign that will play somewhat similar to one of these guys; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlSuGNt8e4 32 Point Buy, Starting ECL 3, HP have a minimum of half+1 max roll. We're also rolling with some homebrew, and the DM's are willing to take some homebrew on request. I don't have the official list of guaranteed 'in' books right now, but a good rule of thumb is if it isn't campaign-specific to non-Eberron or well known for being completely bonkers (read, Savage Species and friends), it's in. Things from other books and things from Dragon magazine are on request only, same as homebrew. We're allowed 2 traits and 2 flaws, though they have to be balanced for what you get (homebrew of either is, again, allowed, and frankly expected, the WotC offerings of both are anemic).

I can give more of the backstory if you feel you need it for some reason, but short version he was born in a Minions R' Us fight pit where the results are known as Warboys (for obvious fluff reasons) and got rescued by a saintlike guy who died in the process, with him now wandering the landscape in search of truth, fun, and something to help explain why that guy felt HE of all people was worth saving. He's basically guaranteed to be a Goliath with this trait (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Big_(3.5e_Trait)) but have it work like a permanent Ex version of Enlarge Person rather than the nuttiness of standard size progression for naturally Large things (total stat adjustment of 0 is easier to balance for than one of +12 like in the monster progression section). His base build is looking like it'll be Warblade 4/Crusader 1/Hulking Hurler 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4/a 3.5 version of this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a7Q31kM1IVtDxIlGp1yAF5gJfDGTVbO-RC-0SNjcIdQ/edit#) 10, with 2 levels of Hurler being fit in somehow so to work with a level cap of 20 (tricks are basically locked in as Ranged Power Attack and Knockdown Blow, unless if BSB 4 means I can Power Attack already, in which case probably Area Attack, Overburdened Heave has too much potential for abuse).

Any suggestions for this would be appreciated. I'm likely to be using a Caber (Masters of the Wild, probably rule that the area thing it does is an option and it can just be thrown at someone for damage too) that's been scaled up in size to something appropriate for my throwing needs when I'm not chucking actual weapons or bits of scenery around (which is probably going to be harder to find than it appears, how often does one find several hundred pound free objects around?), with an actual Melee weapon serving as a primary (not sure what this would be, current options are gigantic ****off sword (Fullblade), gigantic ****off axe (no specific one in mind, Dwarven Urgosh maybe?), and gigantic ****off hammer (Goliath Greathammer)). Armor is almost guaranteed to be Fullplate, spiked obviously. I'm also going to be looking into rules for augmenting weapons, armor, and other equipment by more means than just enchantment (for example, some are listed here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12795) under modifications).

Thanks for any help you can give!

marphod
2015-08-02, 12:25 AM
Why do you want to be a warboy? The bard is the OBVIOUS star of that movie. Come on. Double-necked waraxelute that spits fire?

----

Warboys were lightly armored. Breastplate maybe, but they needed mobility and needed to be light enough to be suspended from the aerial staves. Chain Shirts, maybe Breastplates. Not Full Plate. The spikes are a given, though.

You'll want a flaw to represent the Warboy's health status and physical deformities. You need omething akin to Rage. And you'll want something to represent their fanatical nature.

I'd go with a barbarian base.

Maybe Human, maybe half-orc -- possible the Desert variety. Alternatives include Duskling, Athas Half-Elf, and Mongrelfolk.

Consider the Ferocity alternate class feature (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) -- warboys are lithe but not necessarily hardy. Also the Roof-Dweller ACF from the same source. Wastelands Damage Reduction would be appropriate, but only if you're doing a setting which is close to Mad Max.

As for places to go after Barbarian, Runescared Berserker, Totem Ranger (and Totemist), or Champion of Gwynharwyf are good options for a Barbarian build.

torrasque666
2015-08-02, 12:29 AM
You'll want a flaw to represent the Warboy's health status and physical deformities. You need omething akin to Rage. And you'll want something to represent their fanatical nature.

Maybe either/or/both Feeble and Meager Fortitude? -1 HP and -3 on fort saves? Or maybe Frail Immune System: Fail a Fort Save and you're fatigued.

aleucard
2015-08-02, 07:52 PM
I'm not wanting to make a carbon-copy of the Warboys in the movie, I'm wanting to make something inspired by them. Also, I'm going for a Strength build, as my choice of Large Goliath should tell you, and I don't have enough points to spread myself THAT thin that I can fully take advantage of lighter armor without gimping myself. I might do Barbarian 1 for Pounce at some point, though, we just got the word that we're no longer locked to 20.

The suggestion for representing a damaged immune system and similar health problems by way of flaw/trait is a good one, though. I'll look into that.

Any suggestion for Warblade/Crusader maneuvers to take, though? I'll probably only take at most 2 levels in Crusader, but Warblade's going to be my primary base class.

Feats too would be nice.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: To be specific, I'd like to have ways to extend my throwing range a bit, preferably low-investment. I'm going to be treated as Huge for things that use that beneficially thanks to Large size plus Powerful Build, so Hulking Hurler at least puts me at 15' increments, and I've been directed at Far Shot (which I'll need the prereq anyway for BSB, so just the cost of one feat), but other things to extend my throwing reach would be useful. Maybe enchant my primary thrown weapon with relevant things?