PDA

View Full Version : Ever'body was throne room fighting! Xykon just cast Chain Lightning!

Twilight Jack
2007-05-04, 06:07 PM
Okay folks, we may not know many things about Xykon as a write-up, but we know for certain that he knows at least 2 8th level spells and possibly another 9th level or two.

Based upon what we know of Xykon's personality, and assuming (as I do) that he's a 20th level sorcerer, what spells do you think it's most likely that he knows?

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a few of them in his upcoming battle with the Sapphire Guard.

Icewalker
2007-05-04, 06:14 PM
Yay Ballroom Blitz.

Moving on though, yeah you are definitely right, he's about to start using the big magic. He has some plans for the room, considering the nonchalance with which he entered with the knowledge paladins were inside.

Threeshades
2007-05-04, 06:14 PM
Protection from Arrows, Maximized Fireball, Maximized Fireball, Maximized Fireball

That's what i would do in Xykon's situation. I mean those paladins are just standing there in the perfectest of the perfect "fireball us plzkthx"-formation

Twilight Jack
2007-05-04, 06:26 PM
I wasn't asking about his spontaneous use of metamagic feats. I'm wondering what spells he knows.

Let's face it, a single Power Word-Kill would likely make this a short battle. I doubt anyone in that room has more than 101 hp (including O-Chul). So, it becomes an interesting bit of speculation to guess at what spells Xykon has learned as a 20th level sorcerer. Whatever they are, you can be assured we've not seen most of them.

Sotha_Cid
2007-05-04, 06:31 PM
I thought the most recent incarnation of PW:K only works against ONE creature. Which is agonizingly lame, especially for a ninth level spell.

Twilight Jack
2007-05-04, 06:35 PM
I thought the most recent incarnation of PW:K only works against ONE creature. Which is agonizingly lame, especially for a ninth level spell.

Wow, you're right. What a terrible nerfing of the once magnificent Power Word. You'll have to forgive my mistake; I've not DMed a high-level game since 3.0

Aha! Wail of the Banshee does about the same thing, it just allows a save that none of those Paladins can make. Wail of the Banshee it is, then.

Moik
2007-05-04, 06:51 PM
Response to Twilight Jack:
That would entail the highly image-conscious Xykon screaming like a little girl. Can't see it.

Halenthal
2007-05-04, 06:52 PM
Knowing it's a large battle about to commence, I'd bet he went with various area effect spells. Meteor swarm, for sure, banshee, probably. A little maximized fireball and chain lightning for fun and flavor. I was surprised to see him whipping out multiple power words against Roy-if I'd been in his shoes, forget spells that affect a single target, unless that target is me. Beneficial for me, mass damage or mass effect for the battles.

Something struck me as odd when wondering about what spells he knows.

As forgetful, spontaneous, and all around dumb as he is, HOW did Xykon ever manage to get to be epic level without being (repeatedly) destroyed? No matter whatever level those paladins are, it's just not a good idea to bust into a room full of them after giving them time to prepare.

Unless he's considerably higher level than we think?

Nogard
2007-05-04, 06:57 PM

Avera Cadavera

TiamatRoar
2007-05-04, 07:03 PM
Xykon reached epic level because he knows how to optimize his build in a world where everyone else does things like wizard bards, ranger barbarians with low wisdom, wizards without fly, and high intelligence fighters.

There's a reason why he said to Roy, "You might want to work on your build optimization on the way up, baldy."

Ramos
2007-05-04, 07:06 PM
Timestop, Repulsion, Globe of Invulnerability.

That is the most effective defence against the sissy paladins. They'll no longer be able to meele him with that repulsion. Against arrows, Xykon has DR 15/magic and bludgeoning. They're not going to do anything to him. A Globe of Invulnerability and the few weakling spellcasters that are there will be useless.

Then, he can start spamming any type of offencive spells he knows (circles of death are preferable). Against a 20th level lich, two dozen 10th level and lower paladins are done for.

As for Xykon surviving his low wisdom score, he's a lich. Even if destroyed, he'll regenerate.

Twilight Jack
2007-05-04, 07:07 PM
Response to Twilight Jack:
That would entail the highly image-conscious Xykon screaming like a little girl. Can't see it.

What if it was a mystically enhanced cackling laughter? I realize that Xykon lacks the lungs for it, but it is mystically enhanced cackling laughter. Otherwise, I agree that it is unlikely.

Tobrian
2007-05-04, 07:20 PM
Protection from Arrows, Maximized Fireball, Maximized Fireball, Maximized Fireball

That's what i would do in Xykon's situation. I mean those paladins are just standing there in the perfectest of the perfect "fireball us plzkthx"-formation

*sigh* True, unfortunately they don't know what Xykon's plan is and that he'd need weeks to open the gate... technically they should scatter across the room and try to get him out of the air with a barrage of Greater Dispel Magics (from wands or whatever) and entrap him under a Forcecage or Wall/Dome of Something-or-other, that's what the casters are for, so that Xykon can't use area spells to full potential. But for all they know he wants to destroy the throne and steal the sapphire.

But I'll be very disappointed if those paladins don't at least have a few spells and items of protection of their own working for them... spells like Protection from Elements, Protection from Evil, Deathward, Haste, Spell Immunity... and wasn't there some spell that protects your corpse from being raised as an undead, too? Come on, people, they're an elite fighting force. Those spells are well available to mid-level casters. And their greatest asset should be combat strategy! Xykon sucks at tactics. Ofcourse, if they just stand there and let themselves be bombarded with spells... *sigh*

How many spells does Xykon have left, anyway? He doesn't seem to carry around lots of wands or scrolls, and even if he has a ring of wizardry like V, he's bound to run out of high-level spells at some point. Contrary to some posters here, I don't think Xykon knows every spell in existance for the extra-special perfect strategy. He's a necromantic sorcerer, not a wizard. And spell durations do run out.

Of course, if he has an active Protection from Positive Energy (from the WotC D&D 3.5 Spell Compendium) on himself, they're screwed.

But as someone else said in another thread, Xykon has "plot power". :smallfrown: I'm pretty sure he'll win, just like Miko won against the combined force of the OotS.

Alysar
2007-05-04, 07:52 PM
Yay Ballroom Blitz.

Oh it's been getting so hard
Livin' with your army laying seige
Oh, by Soon, we'll see you gone
From our beloved Azure City.
Oh, I see a Lich at the back
As a matter of fact his eyes are red as the sun
And a theurge in the corner let no one ignore her
'Cause she thinks she's the passionate one

Xykon cast lightning, everybody was fighting
And the battle was raging, and the dead started raising

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
And the commander at the back said
Everyone attack and it turned into a throneroom blitz
And the goblin in Xykon's corner said
Xy', I wanna warn ya, it'll turn into a throneroom blitz
throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz
throneroom blitz

We waited in the throne room,
And crashing though the window you flew
Oh, I called out a challenge
When we're done there will be nothing left of you, aha
Now the mage in the back
Is ready to cast, the elements at her command
And the cleric in the corner, he ain't gonna warn ya'
He'll kill you with a touch of his hand

Oh yeah, it was electric, so frightfully hectic
A last stand so dire, to protect the Sapphire

throneroom blitz

Oh Yeah

throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz
throneroom blitz

It's it's a throneroom blitz,
it's it's a throneroom blitz
yeah, it's a throneroom blitz

Deckmaster
2007-05-04, 07:56 PM
Oh it's been getting so hard
Livin' with your army laying seige
Oh, by Soon, we'll see you gone
From our beloved Azure City.
Oh, I see a Lich at the back
As a matter of fact his eyes are red as the sun
And a theurge in the corner let no one ignore her
'Cause she thinks she's the passionate one

throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz
throneroom blitz

We waited in the throne room,
And crashing though the window you flew
Oh, I called out a challenge
When we're done there will be nothing left of you, aha
Now the mage in the back
Is ready to cast, the elements at her command
And the cleric in the corner, he ain't gonna warn ya'
He'll kill you with a touch of his hand

Oh yeah, it was electric, so frightfully hectic
A last stand so dire, to protect the Sapphire

throneroom blitz

Oh Yeah

throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz,
throneroom blitz
throneroom blitz

it's it's a throneroom blitz
yeah, it's a throneroom blitz

That is made of awesome.

Haarculaneaum
2007-05-04, 08:10 PM
That is made of glorious unobtainable Yankovian awesome.
Were I still in a band, we would cover it tonight.

Haar

Alysar
2007-05-04, 08:27 PM
Would you believe that's the first time in my life I ever attempted a song parody?

And here I was thinking that people would say that it sucks :smallredface:

Icewalker
2007-05-04, 08:34 PM
Impressive. You have too much spare time, but impressive nonetheless.

mikeejimbo
2007-05-04, 09:20 PM
I thought the title was parodying "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" though, not "Ballroom Blitz"

Alysar
2007-05-04, 09:23 PM
Yes, but Icewalker mentioned Ballroom Blitz. Notice the quote above the song.

mikeejimbo
2007-05-04, 09:28 PM
Yes, but Icewalker mentioned Ballroom Blitz. Notice the quote above the song.

Yes, but my point was someone should do a "Kung Fu Fighting" parody now. :smalltongue:

Though the Ballroom Blitz parody was excellent.

MobiusKlein
2007-05-04, 09:37 PM
Paladins get Bless Weapon.
Xykon can say ciao to DR. (starting at 4th level- 1 min/Level)
Combine with Smite Evil, and they may have some effect.

Should suck up enough spells to allow TOOTS to show up at a cinematic moment.

Halenthal
2007-05-04, 10:19 PM
Ah. Now, after #448, I see how he managed to get to epic level. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm surprised he bothered to bring the army with him.

He's simply incredibly non-conventional...which is doubly or triply effective against paladins.

I'm impressed :)

PsyBlade
2007-05-04, 11:10 PM
Yeah, non-conventional means cakewalk. Just ask the Joker.