PDA

View Full Version : Kick Posterior Mode?

F.H. Zebedee
2007-05-04, 06:26 PM
Now, I'm starting a campaign with some rather amateur players who couldn't powergame if I gave them a Punpun suppository, and I was thinking of ways to balance things out. Since they're so incredibly fresh to the game, and the cinematic types, I think my plan may work.

I keep my computer handy for DMing, and play atmospheric music for most of combat. I was thinking mayhaps having the players each give me a combat themesong for their character, and then once per day, for one turn per level, as a free action, they can enter "Surge Mode".

Cue their theme music over the normal battle music, and have the character (just that character) receive bonuses as if under "Inspire Competence" and "Inspire Courage" from a bard of equal level. In addition, all Critical Misses they roll during that turn are instead just 1s, not Auto-whiffs. (Can you imagine it? Hero gets all dramatic, theme music blares, and then they whiff on a Kobold and get an arrow through the head. Not pretty.)

So, would this ability be broken for a group of n00bs to have? I'm thinking it will be fine, but I'd like some sage (or thyme, or parsley) opinions on it.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-04, 06:33 PM
That's an interesting idea, and I would say that it's not too broken for your n00bs. On the other hand, they are pretty inexperienced; despite the intuitivity of your idea, you've got to consider if adding one more rule for them to keep track of would really help.

Ivius
2007-05-04, 06:34 PM
Sounds fine. I'd really allow that for any party, as it hardly seems over-powering or anything more than a slight nudge.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-04, 06:39 PM
Sounds fun and fine.

Wolf_Shade
2007-05-04, 07:32 PM
That's an interesting idea, and I would say that it's not too broken for your n00bs. On the other hand, they are pretty inexperienced; despite the intuitivity of your idea, you've got to consider if adding one more rule for them to keep track of would really help.

The other option is rather bonuses for the player (that they'd have to be aware of, sort of) you make them detriments to the NPCs. Then only the DM needs to know that the AC of that critter dropped by 2 (or what have you).

I'd say be careful of getting them "dependant" on the mechanic. It might make a game fun, but I - as a new player - can occasionally forget what is a "since you're new you can" and what is "this is the way it is".

Matthew
2007-05-05, 09:26 AM
No, it wouldn't be broken. I don't see why you would need to do this, though. CRs are not calculated with 'optimal' Characters in mind, but with Characters similar to the Archetypes.

Green Bean
2007-05-05, 09:30 AM
I don't think it'll be game breaking. I mean, why wouldn't they fight harder against the BBEG than the pack of wolves that ambush them on the road?

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-05-05, 09:51 AM
No, it wouldn't be broken. I don't see why you would need to do this, though. CRs are not calculated with 'optimal' Characters in mind, but with Characters similar to the Archetypes.

Heh, which is why I'm constantly thinking of fun ways to advance and template my monsters.... :xykon:

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-05, 04:51 PM
I don't think it'll be game breaking.
Agreed. But:

I mean, why wouldn't they fight harder against the BBEG than the pack of wolves that ambush them on the road?
Because either one could kill them?

Destin_The_Valiant
2007-05-05, 05:00 PM
I, honestly, am a little opposed to the idea; this is how homebrew rules get ingrained in a player's head. While the bonus is nothing gamebreaking, what you may wish to do is just scale things back a little bit. I.E., an encounter with 7 Orcs might only have 5 Orcs until they get the hang of things.

Alternately, you might want to just scale back enemy tactics and intellegence for a while and increase the difficulty as they improve.

Or, there's also the good old fashion flubbing of rolls behind the DM screen. 'Whoops, that Orc missed you narrowly.'

Green Bean
2007-05-05, 05:13 PM
Because either one could kill them?

Granted, but I was thinking of something along the lines of the stakes being higher, so the characters are really cutting loose.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-05, 05:33 PM
Might be difficult trying to play 2 people's themes when both invoke their cool in one fight though.