PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with a build for a Gunsmoke Mystic/Animus Adept

Azoth
2015-08-01, 09:56 PM
Okay, so for an upcoming game a buddy of mine is trying to figure out a good point in his build to jump into Animus Adept from a Gunsmoke Mystic base. He is focusing on using the CMB replacing maneuvers of Tempest Gale to be a ranged controller. He is intending to use his glyphs to buff the party to the situation at hand. For this the Animus Adept expands his options greatly, but delays his normal glyphs progression. He isn't too sure what would be better Mystic9/Animus Adept1 or Mystic5/Animus Adept5.

Any help or build ideas for a gun toting glyph slinging Mystic?

Nyaa
2015-08-02, 01:49 AM
Gunsmoke Mystic is the best Mystic for controlling with maneuvers that require saves, because you can't miss if it's not a misfire and don't need much Dex to achieve it, so you can focus on Wis. With high Wis, discipline weapon, Discipline Focus feat and animus augments, DCs should be rather high. But IIRC none of these apply to combat maneuvers or skill checks. Also, ranged trips are rather backwards because they reduce your chance to hit and don't give you AoOs.

Animus Adept doesn't slow glyphs progression from level 2 on. What it does slow are The Way of the Gun and Flowing Movements, and doesn't let you access potentially oneshotting Piercing Shot.

To sum it up, if I ever decided to build Gunsmoke Mystic / Animus Adept, I'd go with 9/1 build to get Flowing Movements last ability and Focused Aim.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-02, 02:05 AM
ETA: I'd enter at Mystic 8 (Elemental Glyph upgrades). Getting the last Flowing Movements upgrade doesn't matter much if you and your team have good positioning.

Gunsmoke Mystic is the best Mystic for controlling with maneuvers that require saves, because you can't miss if it's not a misfire and don't need much Dex to achieve it, so you can focus on Wis. With high Wis, discipline weapon, Discipline Focus feat and animus augments, DCs should be rather high. But IIRC none of these apply to combat maneuvers or skill checks.

Wisdom in the Flesh (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/wisdom-in-the-flesh-god-of-perfection) is a trait that lets you use Wisdom instead of Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution for any one skill (and makes that skill a class skill). Just apply it to Sleight of Hand and you're good.

Azoth
2015-08-02, 02:10 AM
It does slow down the Elemental Glyph class feature as each tier of effects is tied to your Mystic level.

So if you enter at level 6, you have each base elemental glyph affect and can start learning the Animus Adept glyphs to broaden your list of glyph powers. Several Animus Adept glyphs are also redundant with the scaled benefits of the base Mystic's Elemental Glyphs.

Kurald Galain
2015-08-02, 02:26 AM
It would help if you write in the thread title what class you're looking for.