PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PoW] Disciplines that mesh well with TWF and Thrashing Dragons.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-01, 10:09 PM
I'm building a Dervish Defender and I'm having a little trouble finding disciplines that complement the TWF nature of the class; well disciplines other than Broken Blade and Thrashing Dragon. So any help on that front?

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-01, 10:25 PM
Piercing Thunder with a weighted spear?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-01, 10:30 PM
Takes 3 feats to use effectively, but yeah I've considered it before.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-01, 10:39 PM
Takes 3 feats to use effectively, but yeah I've considered it before.

Only one or two, really. Buy a Cracked Opalescent White Pyramid Ioun Stone (1500 GP) to give you weapon familiarity with the Weighted Spear. You can have ioun stones embedded in your skin so that they can't be stolen (they make for cool bindis). Fluff the gold you spent on it as paying for training with the weighted spear. Then you just need Prodigious TWF (and eventually Double Slice).

Alternately, Polearm Dancer (or Double Weapon Finesse, not sure which you'd need), Weapon Finesse, and Deadly Agility.

Thealtruistorc
2015-08-01, 10:42 PM
Strongly Recommending Primal Fury and Steel Serpent. Both have abilities that accomodate multiple weapons and augment amage significantly. Besides,nthe flavor of a warder using SS just strikes me as cool.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-01, 11:16 PM
Only one or two, really. Buy a Cracked Opalescent White Pyramid Ioun Stone (1500 GP) to give you weapon familiarity with the Weighted Spear. You can have ioun stones embedded in your skin so that they can't be stolen (they make for cool bindis). Fluff the gold you spent on it as paying for training with the weighted spear. Then you just need Prodigious TWF (and eventually Double Slice).

Alternately, Polearm Dancer (or Double Weapon Finesse, not sure which you'd need), Weapon Finesse, and Deadly Agility.

There is no need for the ioun stone, it is a simple weapon and Dervish Defenders get proficiency in all Double Weapons, so yeah. And I was referring to Double Weapon Finesse, Weapon Finesse and Deadly agility as the three feats I mentioned before. Going Str based isn't really good for Dervish Defenders since they are a lot more dependant on dex. For Str TWF Warders I would go with a Fiendbound Marauder, but that is just me.

Strongly Recommending Primal Fury and Steel Serpent. Both have abilities that accomodate multiple weapons and augment amage significantly. Besides,nthe flavor of a warder using SS just strikes me as cool.

I'll have to check Primal Fury more closely, but at a glance I don't see what maneuvers you are thinking of, though getting pounce as a level 2 maneuver is sweet.

Edit: Depending on the interaction between Raging Hunter Pounce and the charge boosts (momentum crash et all), that is a really stupid amount of damage. If Momentum crash applies to all attacks during the pounce-charge, assuming level 6, +1 weapons 16 dex and 18 int, a momemtum crash'ed Raging hunter pounce would be 3 attacks at +12/+12/+7 dealing 3d6+18 damage per hit on average for a total of 85.5 more or less, enough to one-hit an average monster of CR 6 maybe even 7. Damn... that is really tempting, no wonder why Primal fury is on the nerfbat sights.

Kaidinah
2015-08-02, 12:56 AM
Not a discipline, but Dragon Fury is a great prestige class. Defensive focus scales based off initiator level as well, so the prestige class will advance defensive focus's range!

As for disciplines, Mithral Current has good counters for everyone. It will let you dodge spells for instance.

Elricaltovilla
2015-08-02, 08:42 AM
Thrashing Dragon is two weapon fighting, at least as far as PoW goes. Broken Blade obviously meshes with it very well, and has some support for the style integrated into it. But beyond that you need to look at branching out a little bit. This is true of pretty much every weapon specific fighting style, they have one or two disciplines that heavily support them and beyond that you look at other disciplines that, while they may not scream "Two Weapon Fighting Here!" their maneuvers are either weapon neutral enough to support what you want or they offer synergy that is less apparent on the surface.

Thrashing Dragon, Broken Blade and Primal Fury are the classic trio for two weapon fighters in Path of War, and what I usually recommend anyway. All three styles make heavy use of multiple attacks, mobility and pounce or pseudo-pounce effects. Primal Fury is weapon style neutral, but its wording often works out that you have a significant advantage if you're using more than one weapon at a time.

Mithral Current is melee focused, but generally unconcerned with how you melee. Again, high mobility, multiple attacks per maneuver and generally a bunch of effects which can be more easily capitalized on if you have multiple weapons.

Shattered Mirror is weapon neutral and likes the light blade weapon group (which is big for TWFing). The same goes for Cursed Razor and Veiled Moon, although all three disciplines lack in the "multiple attacks per strike" department.

Elemental Flux and Black Seraph can both play nice with TWF, and can add some surprising new options if you want to be really supernatural about your initiating.

Honestly, the list of disciplines that can't be used to TWF is shorter than the list that can. It's pretty much Scarlet Throne, Piercing Thunder, Solar Wind (sorta), Tempest Gale (sorta) and Silver Crane that really don't work with TWFing. Even then, there are individual maneuvers within all of those disciplines that are useful for a two weapon fighter. It's really about the individual maneuvers, not the disciplines as a whole.

mostholycerebus
2015-08-02, 09:48 AM
You can have ioun stones embedded in your skin so that they can't be stolen (they make for cool bindis).

Is this RAW? Because otherwise, my interpretation as GM would be that Iouns need to orbit to be effective. The SRD seems to support this.

Vhaidara
2015-08-02, 09:59 AM
I recommend just filling around for boosts and counters. My experience with thrashing dragon was that it was very Strike heavy.

Beware of using Primal Fury, it will be getting needed after PoW:E releases. This was confirmed by the devs because, as you noticed, the numbers are CRAZY.

I recommend grabbing Black Seraph access. Strength of Hell is on of the scariest twf boosts you'll see for a while (+2 to hit and +1d6 damage for the entire round)

Sayt
2015-08-02, 05:01 PM
Honestly, the list of disciplines that can't be used to TWF is shorter than the list that can. It's pretty much Scarlet Throne, Piercing Thunder, Solar Wind (sorta), Tempest Gale (sorta) and Silver Crane that really don't work with TWFing. Even then, there are individual maneuvers within all of those disciplines that are useful for a two weapon fighter. It's really about the individual maneuvers, not the disciplines as a whole.

My first Path of War Character was Two-bladed Sword Dex Warlord, mostly because Ruby Battle Lord's Strike :smallsmile:

But yeah, Broken Blade is the go-to secondary TWF school, mostly because the focus on unarmed has some synergy with a fair few Thrashing Dragon Maneuvers. Also, Broken Blade Stance, as it stands is incredibly helpful for Dex based and TWF characters.

That said, Broken Blade is also on the list for nerf-rata, and not without good reason, TBH. Steel Flurry Strike is... a bit much for level 5.

Is this RAW? Because otherwise, my interpretation as GM would be that Iouns need to orbit to be effective. The SRD seems to support this.

You can in fact implant Ioun Stones, though it's not trivial. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones) Buying a few wayfinders is easier though, honestly.

Vhaidara
2015-08-02, 05:03 PM
That said, Broken Blade is also on the list for nerf-rata, and not without good reason, TBH. Steel Flurry Strike is... a bit much for level 5.

It's the Strike+Boost combos that push it over.
Level 1: Flurry Strike + Strength of Hell (no good in discipline boosts)
Level 3: Flurry Strike + Bronze Knuckle
Level 5: Steel Flurry Strike + Bronze Knuckle
Level 7: Steel Flurry Strike + Iron Knuckle

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-02, 05:39 PM

I can't link the direct section, but ctrl-F "implanted" on this page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones).