PDA

View Full Version : Cleric help.

thorgrim29
2007-05-04, 08:28 PM
Well, long story short my DM just decided banning my warblade was a good idea, seing as I was outclassing a badly built barbarian (dwarf, no power attack) and a druid (newbie player) and slightly outpacing a halfling fighter with a goliath greathammer (realy funny character)....

So now I'm going to play a cleric, because it's been ages since I've played one.
I will start level 6, thinking a cleric of a millitant good diety. Now I dont want to be petty and pwn everyone, but I still want an effective and fun melee oriented cleric, and as I said I have next to zero cleric experience. Any advise?

this to my dm:
Si tu lit ca JF, remarque je veut pas un perso optimisé, juste efficace. Et je suis toujours pas d’accor avec toi sur ta décision

CASTLEMIKE
2007-05-04, 09:15 PM
Well, long story short my DM just decided banning my warblade was a good idea, seing as I was outclassing a badly built barbarian (dwarf, no power attack) and a druid (newbie player) and slightly outpacing a halfling fighter with a goliath greathammer (realy funny character)....

So now I'm going to play a cleric, because it's been ages since I've played one.
I will start level 6, thinking a cleric of a millitant good diety. Now I dont want to be petty and pwn everyone, but I still want an effective and fun melee oriented cleric, and as I said I have next to zero cleric experience. Any advise?

this to my dm:
Si tu lit ca JF, remarque je veut pas un perso optimisé, juste efficace. Et je suis toujours pas d’accor avec toi sur ta décision

Favored Soul could be fun as you wouldn't need to learn a lot of spells or mess around with a lot of record keeping for spellcasting. Particularly if your DM will let you swap out some of the specials if not pursuing a PRC like energy resistance at level 5 for something good like Divine Grace or Turning since you have that direct connection to the diety are supposed to be very rare like a Chosen as per the latest Wizard's web article.

PRCs like Sacred Exorcist or maybe a few levels in a UA PRC Paladin (Which can easily be tweaked for any of the alignment type paladins in UA if you don't want to go LG). That would get you turning and divine grace. The (Pious) Templar PRC might be a nice choice but you need a +5 BAB to enter it (We home rule Favored Souls are "True Believers" one of the other requirements like weapon focus). It will grant Mettle, some increasing DR/- and Weapon Specialization leveling up.

Darrin
2007-05-04, 09:55 PM

Once you reach level 7 and get Divine Power, you may start putting your old warblade to shame in the pwnage department.

Once your DM thinks you've outdone yourself, add Divine Metamagic + Extra Turning for even more twinkage.

Now add a level of Crusader and then go into Ruby Knight Vindicator, pick up White Raven Tactics, and show him the true power of cheese.

Then, once your DM is sobbing, ask if you can have your old Warblade back, so the other players might get a chance to play.

JoeFredBob
2007-05-05, 12:00 AM
Once you reach level 7 and get Divine Power, you may start putting your old warblade to shame in the pwnage department.

Once your DM thinks you've outdone yourself, add Divine Metamagic + Extra Turning for even more twinkage.

Now add a level of Crusader and then go into Ruby Knight Vindicator, pick up White Raven Tactics, and show him the true power of cheese.

Then, once your DM is sobbing, ask if you can have your old Warblade back, so the other players might get a chance to play.

He said he *didn't* want to be petty and pwn everyone.

Armads
2007-05-05, 06:03 AM
Once you hit level 7, use Divine Power on yourself and start beating stuff up. Before that, use Divine Favor and Enlarge Person to grant yourself reach and crazy attack bonuses.

Take Power Attack if you are using THF (which you should). Don't bother taking any MWP feats; a morningstar is fine.

Starbuck_II
2007-05-05, 12:24 PM

this to my dm:
For fun:
Call yourself a Paladin. Get Destruction domain and if you can get Complete Warrior extra smiting (+3 I think more smites).
Now you have smite more than once a day.

At low levels bless is great for extra hit. Shield of faith will boost your AC (or any ally) by 2 deflection to AC.

At level 3 Hold person then next turn Coup de gra. Reason Holfd person paralyzes them if fail save. You can death strike those helpless (so you can do it if one does).
Useful to have one against a tough warrior type as they lack good Will saves.

Also I'd be good or nuetral aligned so you can spontanously convert spells to cure spells. This way in tough situations you keep yourself and others aliove (like a Paladin can heal with touch).

It is best if you never tell the others your not a Paladin. That way they won't force you into a "heal bot" (some players think that about Clerics).

Vaniel
2007-05-05, 12:33 PM
Once you hit level 7, use Divine Power on yourself and start beating stuff up. Before that, use Divine Favor and Enlarge Person to grant yourself reach and crazy attack bonuses.

Take Power Attack if you are using THF (which you should). Don't bother taking any MWP feats; a morningstar is fine.

Clerics don't have Enlarge Person, it's an Arcane spell

Divine Power, Divine Favor, Righteous Might + Divine Metamagic + Extra Turning, + Radiant Servant of Pelor (or whatever that prestige class name was)

Okay okay, that's cheese... and you can't have all of that with a level 6 cleric.
If you don't want cheese, don't use that.

More importantly, what books do you have?

thorgrim29
2007-05-05, 02:35 PM
Well, a lot actually, and it's all good, he only banned (to my knowledge) vow of poverty and the tome of battle base classes. looking at my books I fell upon the malconvoquor, could be fun, but the druid is summuning like crazy since I told him he had spontaneus summon natures allie (yea, its that bad)

Lolth
2007-05-05, 02:52 PM
Actually, Clerics with the Strength Domain get Enlarge Person, and that's a common Domain for melee Clerics, I should think.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-05, 03:38 PM
Strength + Destruction Domain is always fun. Also, theres a feat in Tome of Battle that gives you a smite-evil like ability, but without actually being smite evil. Thats an extra 3 effective smites a day.

PinkysBrain
2007-05-06, 04:51 AM
What setting do you play in?

thorgrim29
2007-05-06, 09:50 AM
Homebrew, gets defined more and more as the game goes, basically it's a big country (or duchy, not sure) named Krisgan thats at war with a lot of poeple, and we're krisgan's special forces unit. All gods are go, be they FR or Greyhawk.

Rama_Lei
2007-05-06, 01:09 PM
Wait...I understood that French? Wow...I feel smart.

Go for buffs to help out your party and yourself. This makes you seem nicer, allowing your DM to realize you don't want the spotlight.

thorgrim29
2007-05-06, 01:23 PM
I'm actually doing a cleric bacause we tend to have a pretty extreme death toll, as in 4 characters each to get to level 7, because we tend to not have healing. I'm gonna take a few wands of cure spells so I can concentrate on buffing and smiting.

ps; I understand all that english every day!

Rama_Lei
2007-05-06, 01:33 PM
I'm actually doing a cleric bacause we tend to have a pretty extreme death toll, as in 4 characters each to get to level 7, because we tend to not have healing. I'm gonna take a few wands of cure spells so I can concentrate on buffing and smiting.

ps; I understand all that english every day!

Shh... don't detract form the rare feeling that high school french is worth it....

Person_Man
2007-05-06, 01:34 PM
The trick to being a powerful PC in a weak party is helping others. Focus on battlefield control, buffing, healing, and defending your friends. Avoid being the person who kills stuff, as that's what newbish parties tend to focus on. Hang in back with a reach weapon and cast. Pick the right domains, and you'll have plenty of spells to slow down, confuse, and de-buff your enemies so that your friends can slaughter them. For this purpose, I like Slime, Passion, Trickery, Travel, Time, and Inquisition.

In particular, I highly suggest picking up the Spell Compendium. It has a ton of useful and fun, but not game breaking options in it.