PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Feats Generating Attacks, Effects, and Order of Operations

pwcsponson
2015-08-02, 01:22 PM
So I'm building a grappler, with Grappling Blast (Drag Mag 358 Pg87) as the main schtick. He's a half-minotaur human so he's large and got strength, of course. Monk1/Barb2/War5/LA1 specifically.

I'm wondering about the interactions between Improved Grab (barbarian ACF), Improved Trip (barbarian ACF), Knockdown, and Grapple Rules.

So I hit someone with my weapon (let's say a spiked chain from 20ft). I deal at least 10 damage and I proc Knockdown and Improved Grab. Knockdown grants a free Trip Attempt so I take that first. I trip them which procs Improved Trip which grants me a normal melee attack. I then trigger Improved Grab and I pull them into my square and then we grapple. After step 3 of grappling (getting a hold), can I use that normal melee attack and to do a grappling thing? Namely, do damage so I can then proc Grappling Blast? I know Improved Trip's generated attack is "immediate". But is there another order I can take these in?

I'm guessing I could Attack, Grab, Trip (?), Sub Attack into Grapple Maneuver? Roll both simultaneously?

Grappling is worded as such:

If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you
can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but
at successively lower base attack bonuses.
I get +6/+1, so I'm allowed multiple attacks from BaB. I then attempt a grappling action in place of each of my attacks, of which I have one left from triggering Imp Trip, which if I use to deal damage procs Grappling Blast.

Lastly, does the enemy attempting to wriggle free on their turn (and thus making me roll a grapple check) allow me to deal damage to them if I succeed?

rockdeworld
2015-08-03, 07:07 PM
So I hit someone with my weapon (let's say a spiked chain from 20ft). I deal at least 10 damage and I proc Knockdown and Improved Grab. Knockdown grants a free Trip Attempt so I take that first. I trip them which procs Improved Trip which grants me a normal melee attack. I then trigger Improved Grab and I pull them into my square and then we grapple. After step 3 of grappling (getting a hold), can I use that normal melee attack and to do a grappling thing? Namely, do damage so I can then proc Grappling Blast?
Yes. You choose the order of simultaneous actions/benefits that you cause. On a side note, you always deal damage immediately when you succeed a grapple (it's part of step 3 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#startingaGrapple)).

Lastly, does the enemy attempting to wriggle free on their turn (and thus making me roll a grapple check) allow me to deal damage to them if I succeed?
No. That only happens when you initiate the grapple.