PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Gestalt - Gunslinger/Forgemaster Cleric

Lappy9001
2015-08-02, 04:24 PM
I'm currently playing in high-powered a gestalt Rise of the Rune campaign (Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414033-High-Powered-Gestalt-Rise-of-the-Runelords), but I obviously haven't read it) and our last encounter fighting the final boss of Burnt Offerings left my Summoner/Cavalier(ish) very very close to death. So, I'm planning a back-up character as a dwarven gunslinger/cleric (forgemaster). Unfortunately, I've never used guns or in-game or really played a ranged-focused character so I'm looking for build advice.

GM is using a very generous stat array that I'll be taking of 18, 17, 16, 16, 14, 12 with a +1 bonus to two different attributes every 4th level, double max HP at 1st level, and one reroll per level up for HP.

We are currently level 4 and party composition is:
Human Oracle/Paladin and Warlord
Elan Psion/Warder (Zweihander Sentinel)
Tiefling Witch/Investigator (Spiritualist)

Party is working really well together with the witch shutting down bosses, while the warder buffs himself and the oradin keeps us on our feet. Outside of combat, the oradin has a huge Charisma to rock party face and the witch has a crazy amount of skill points. Of course, the GM isn't pulling any punches and the major bosses are gestalt too.

However, right now we're really weak on ranged combat and battlefield control, which are things I'm hoping to remedy. I'm also hoping forgemaster cleric can provide party buffs that don't interfere with the oradin's morale bonuses. I'm considering maybe going Bolt Ace as a gunslinger archetype just so I don't have to worry about finding ammo.

Any advice for feats/weapons/spells would be greatly appreciated!

Geddy2112
2015-08-02, 11:52 PM
For ranged damage, 5 levels of gunslinger will get dex to damage on your firearm/crossbow of choice, the rest of gunslinger is meh compared to spell progress/control of a cleric. For progression, go gunslinger5/cleric 15, I would get those levels in gunslinger first to focused on ranged damage, and let the cleric gravy roll later.

Forgemaster loses channeling and get stuck with the garbage artifice domain, while losing your other domain. The bonus spells are mostly crap, and if you want craft magical arms and armor you could just take the feat. I suppose the redeeming factor is that you can throw charisma down a well, so you probably net out on MAD. If you are dead set, demand that your DM give you gravity bow as a bonus spell(if you get lead blades why not gravity bow...) and take bolt ace. For the 1st 5 levels, bolt ace is gunslinger with a crossbow, if your DM is hesitant to include guns-the only advantage is guns hit touch AC at 1st range increment, but you can spend a grit point to do that with the bow if you want.

For stats, high dex protects you, initiative mod, reflex and damage to bow. Since clerics are weak reflex saves, this further ensures that you make it your 18 stat.
Wisdom is spells, grit, will saves, and some skills. Make it the 17, so 19 after racial mods. You will probably always increase this and dex.
Since you are going forgemaster, you want a decent intelligence score. It also helps to have skill points since you will be starving for them. Put a 16 here.
With the +2 for being a dwarf and being ranged, having a super high con is not all that important. However, strength and charisma are dump stats for you so put your other 16 here. Now you are a secondary tank!
Strength and charisma are equally worthless to you-the only thing I can see is making the charisma 14 if you plan on using social skills, or having 14 strength and 10 charisma so you can switch hit. I suggest the latter.

Ranged combat feats like point blank shot, rapid shot, precise shot and deadly aim are going to be must haves. Improved initiative is never bad, and gunslingers love rapid reload. For dwarves, breadth of experience is a useful feat(but your investigatorwitch is already your knowledgebot I take it). Steel soul is amazing and should be taken at some point in your career.

If you go the crossbow route, get a heavy repeating crossbow, and pick up crossbow mastery to dakka the crap out of the enemy. Get a wand of gravity bow also if your DM won't grant you the spell. For firearms: If you can get advanced firearms a pepperbox rifle and double barreled shotgun is the way to go, otherwise go double barreled musket and blunderbuss. Eventually get a revolver or double barreled pistol as a backup.

Psyren
2015-08-03, 12:04 AM
He's gestalt, so presumably it would be Cleric 20 on one side. Gunslinger 5/something else 15 on the other side isn't a bad idea though. Maybe Ranger?

Mithril Leaf
2015-08-03, 12:30 AM
He's gestalt, so presumably it would be Cleric 20 on one side. Gunslinger 5/something else 15 on the other side isn't a bad idea though. Maybe Ranger?

If DSP is on the table, you can't go wrong with at least 3 levels in Aegis with I believe Student of the Astral Mind? I like spending 4 levels on Cavalier and taking the Horse Master feat as well, if it fits the build. Lots of fun dips are an option for full BAB classes, I'd check out the Dipping Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?230500-Pathfinder-Dipping-for-Fun-and-Profit-(mostly-Profit)).

As far as Cleric goes, maybe go into Exalted, it's a pretty good Cleric PrC although you have to spend some extra resources.

Geddy2112
2015-08-03, 09:17 AM

Derp. Yeah, ranger is nice because it would get progression in feats you would want anyways, freeing up your regular feats for more utility. It also adds things like entangle for battlefield control, and gravity bow!