PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Must take feats/flaws for the unchained rogue. Traits too!

Reprimand
2015-08-02, 04:43 PM
What are some must take rogue feats for the unchained rogue that can be taken in the first few levels? I'm allowed up to 2 flaws from the 3.5 list as well what are some decent flaws to take?

I don't plan on two weapon fighting just using a sword sword.

Based on Matthew from fire emblem

Geddy2112
2015-08-02, 09:33 PM
Improved initiative is a pretty amazing feat for any class. Weapon focus is a prereq for several other feats, and a martial class will never say no to a +1.

For flaws, Chummy, Fearless, Overconfident and Whimsical are none too destructive, and fit your concept.

Psyren
2015-08-02, 10:45 PM
Skill Focus Stealth: In addition to making you better at your main job, you'll need this for...
Dampen Presence: aka PF Darkstalker, and also...
Hellcat Stealth: Now we're talking, stealth in combat even while being observed.

Also, at some point get Combat Reflexes - more AoOs are never bad.
You should also consider picking a combat maneuver to optimize - Dirty Trick is a solid choice for rogues.

atemu1234
2015-08-02, 10:54 PM
Improved initiative is a pretty amazing feat for any class. Weapon focus is a prereq for several other feats, and a martial class will never say no to a +1.

For flaws, Chummy, Fearless, Overconfident and Whimsical are none too destructive, and fit your concept.

Improved Initiative I second.

If you're dexterity based, you'll have to pick up Dodge sooner or later.

If you focus on dealing a lot of Sneak Attack damage, it's an idea (possibly a poor one, but it's worked in my experience) to pick up TWF.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-02, 11:02 PM
Non-TWF rogues aren't super feat dependent, so VMC might be useful. Wizard is a good pick for that if you choose the right school/subschool.

Psychic Sensitivity from Occult Adventures is pretty nice; it gives you access to a number of cool abilities (object reading, hypnotism, aura sight) if you're trained in the relevant skills.

Reprimand
2015-08-04, 02:53 PM
What sort of traits would be good for a rogue? I can't do any of the path of war or ultimate psionics stuff because the DM isn't allowing sources not written my pazio.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-04, 03:19 PM
Take one of the archetypes that trades away trapfinding and trap sense for useful class features, and then take the Trap Finder trait to get trapfinding back.

Reprimand
2015-08-05, 01:03 PM
My DM wouldn't allow me to trade away trap finding/trap sense and buy it back through a trait he says it defeats the purpose of trading away the class feature.

I'm talking about basic stuff like adding a neat class skill or bonuses to stealth/perception, etc same with flaws/feats that cancel themselves out.

What archetypes even make use of that?

Geddy2112
2015-08-05, 01:50 PM
My DM wouldn't allow me to trade away trap finding/trap sense and buy it back through a trait he says it defeats the purpose of trading away the class feature.

While in part I agree, you are playing a rogue. This could be cheese if you were minmaxing a tier 1 caster, but your a rogue. The only thing that even half matters is the ability to disarm magical traps, so if your even using a trait to get this....god forbid non casters get anything but the shaft. I digress.

I'm talking about basic stuff like adding a neat class skill or bonuses to stealth/perception, etc same with flaws/feats that cancel themselves out.
Chameleon, cutpurse, rake, sniper, spy, swashbuckler, and thug are all incredibly good archetypes. Granted, anything that replaces the awful trap sense/trapfinding is, but those are particularly useful.

Psyren
2015-08-05, 02:06 PM
Keep in mind that Unchained Rogues actually get danger sense. You can still trade it for all the same things as trap sense, but it's a bit more useful because it gives an untyped Perception bonus to avoid being surprised, so I wouldn't toss it out automatically.

Reprimand
2015-08-05, 04:59 PM
Keep in mind that Unchained Rogues actually get danger sense. You can still trade it for all the same things as trap sense, but it's a bit more useful because it gives an untyped Perception bonus to avoid being surprised, so I wouldn't toss it out automatically.

Oh good point.

Lets focus on traits though. what are some good ones that an unchained rogue specifically can benefit from.

Molosse
2015-08-05, 05:44 PM

What archetypes even make use of that?

Are those two things perhaps not in the same category mate? That is to say do you feel your DM, while not ok with trading away trap finding only to gain it back through a trait, will be ok with taking flaws and feats that cancel one another out?

Reprimand
2015-08-05, 07:59 PM
Are those two things perhaps not in the same category mate? That is to say do you feel your DM, while not ok with trading away trap finding only to gain it back through a trait, will be ok with taking flaws and feats that cancel one another out?

er no I mean

he's against removing something from a character because fluff wise it means forgoing training you would have otherwise learned by leveling up but then gaining only the advantageous mechanical parts back through other means.

Psyren
2015-08-05, 08:24 PM
Considering that Trapfinding is something that 1st-level rogues learn anyway, I see no problem with getting it back via trait.

Alternatively, just live without it - it's hardly as necessary in PF as it was in 3.5.