PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you knew the world was doomed?

SirKazum
2015-08-03, 07:48 AM
In the spirit of the "what would you do if you were omnipotent" thread, I'd like to propose another thought experiment... this time something less conductive to megalomania, I hope :smallsmile:

The scenario I had in mind that inspired this thought experiment was a Vacuum Metastability Event (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_event). Maybe you're an astrophysicist who, through some bizarre combination of experiments/observations nobody else is likely to repeat for a long while, found out such an event is destroying the Universe, and the bubble of annihilation is coming toward Earth at the speed of light. Maybe it's something else like, I dunno, the sun going nova earlier than expected, or grey goo, or whatever else.

Regardless of the specific details behind this catastrophe, the facts of the matter are:

-You know the entire world, and everything and everyone in it, will be utterly annihilated within, say, two and a half years.

-It's absolutely impossible to stop, prevent or mitigate this disaster in any way, regardless of the resources or effort expended.

-You know the above facts with 100% certainty.

-You have solid, unambiguous evidence of those facts, which should be recognizable as valid by anyone with sufficient technical knowledge.

-Only you know about this right now, and you're fairly certain nobody else will find out on their own until the disaster hits.

So... what do you do? Do you let the world know, and risk widespread panic? Do you leave them in blissful ignorance and live out your last days the best you can? Or something else?

Fragenstein
2015-08-03, 08:58 AM
Well. Nobody ever listens to me, so I'd probably retire early. Cash out my 401K and move to Amsterdam or something similar.

I'd post the material I have anonymously to scientific sites/journals and let others work out what to do. At that point, I'd try to just coast through to the end as peacefully as possible.

Chen
2015-08-03, 09:03 AM
There'd be no reason to make it known to the public if you are somehow 100% certain it is unavoidable/unmitagateable. Those last few years would be lawless anarchy and would be pretty terrible to live through.

2015-08-03, 09:06 AM
Find a way to live comfortably for the next 2.5 years (or whatever it is) that doesn't necessarily sacrifice all my resources just in case it turns out I was wrong.

Fragenstein
2015-08-03, 09:10 AM
There'd be no reason to make it known to the public if you are somehow 100% certain it is unavoidable/unmitagateable. Those last few years would be lawless anarchy and would be pretty terrible to live through.

Maybe. In this scenario, I'm apparently an astrophysicist rather than a social scientist. I might know what's coming, but I can only guess at the reaction. SirKazam even states that we're 'risking' panic.

Who knows. Maybe someone will come up with a way to save a few of us if they're made aware in time. I'm not in charge of global policy, but as a scientist, I can respect the truth. They deserve to know.

Chen
2015-08-03, 09:17 AM
Maybe. In this scenario, I'm apparently an astrophysicist rather than a social scientist. I might know what's coming, but I can only guess at the reaction. SirKazam even states that we're 'risking' panic.

Who knows. Maybe someone will come up with a way to save a few of us if they're made aware in time. I'm not in charge of global policy, but as a scientist, I can respect the truth. They deserve to know.

The premise is that there is no way to mitigate it and that it is certain to happen. An unrealistic premise since there's no way you could be 100% certain about something like that, but nevertheless that's what is presented. So nothing anyone could do would matter. Sure they might not have the same 100% certainty as you so they'd try to solve it, but as the time got closer and closer presumably the anarchy would just get worse and worse.

Fragenstein
2015-08-03, 09:26 AM
The premise is that there is no way to mitigate it and that it is certain to happen. An unrealistic premise since there's no way you could be 100% certain about something like that, but nevertheless that's what is presented. So nothing anyone could do would matter. Sure they might not have the same 100% certainty as you so they'd try to solve it, but as the time got closer and closer presumably the anarchy would just get worse and worse.

Whoops. Re-reading that, I see it's the UNIVERSE being threatened rather than just the world. So, no, nobody is going to figure out a way to shelter a select few of Humanity. That might change my answer.

Still... it feels irresponsible to not have someone double-check my math. Even if I'm 100% certain and the facts all lie before me in irrefutable numbers. Maybe that speaks of a lack of self-confidence, or maybe it speaks of decades of peer-review. This would be the first instance of Publish AND Perish that I can think of, though.

SirKazum
2015-08-03, 09:26 AM
The premise is that there is no way to mitigate it and that it is certain to happen. An unrealistic premise since there's no way you could be 100% certain about something like that, but nevertheless that's what is presented.

Well if it was something like a vacuum metastability event, it would be completely impossible to avert (even fleeing on a spaceship would be futile as the whole universe would be obliterated). The only room for hope would be that the diagnosis, so to speak, is wrong. But anyway, I put that at a 100% certainty in order to make the thought experiment more well-defined... but of course, feel free to speculate what might go down under slightly different scenarios, that would just make the thread more interesting :smallsmile:

Chen
2015-08-03, 09:35 AM
If the 100% certainty factor is gone, of course you'd want to tell people so you could get the collective intellect of mankind working on trying to find SOME sort of solution to the problem. Chaos would still likely ensue, but there'd at least be a chance of averting the disaster, somehow.

Fragenstein
2015-08-03, 09:46 AM
If the 100% certainty factor is gone...

I think that's a big part of it. I don't believe I'm capable of being 100% certain. Even when I am, I still feel there's a 10% chance that I'm wrong. Especially about something like this -- a thing I'd WANT to be wrong about.

It's a pretty ingrained part of my job. Test your work until you're sure it's correct, and then send it out for review.

Man. So what would be worse if I actually was wrong? If I keep it to myself, I only hurt myself by exhausting my savings and walking away from my job. But if I release my findings and I'm wrong, I may have caused global catastrophe for no good reason.

Someone versed in Game Theory might calculate out how the best answer is to say nothing. It just feels too unprofessional to keep something like this to myself, though. In no universe can I see myself being rightfully privy to information this important.

Chen
2015-08-03, 10:13 AM
The 100% correct thing is not you thinking you're 100% correct, its FACTUALLY 100% correct, at least as the OP put it. They clarified it was purely for a thought experiment. It's like that trolley problem experiment where you can divert a train to save many people by killing one person. You add certainty to the thought experiment, else the responses get into all sort of convoluted answers about "well maybe it won't work" or "I don't trust the person enough to believe them" which usually is beside the point of discussion the thought experiment is supposed to be bringing up.

SirKazum
2015-08-03, 10:20 AM
I think that's a big part of it. I don't believe I'm capable of being 100% certain. Even when I am, I still feel there's a 10% chance that I'm wrong. Especially about something like this -- a thing I'd WANT to be wrong about.

Come to think of it, yeah, I'd probably feel the same way as well. Regardless of the evidence I find, there's always the off chance I'm a lunatic or have completely misunderstood everything.

I've been thinking, and if it were me in this scenario... firstly, I'd contact a few highly-respected scientists in the appropriate field, both to double-check my findings and to lend credence to the news when it's brought to non-scientists. I'd focus on scientists that seem both highly accomplished and also capable of holding on to that secret until the end.

The next step, which I'd propose to those scientists right away (knowing full well the matter would be probably out of my hands once I shared my results), would be to contact a select cadre of world leaders to inform them of the news. This would include not only political leaders (presidents, prime ministers etc.) but also industry leaders and other influential people, such as media magnates. Once again, both power and reliability would be weighed when selecting who's "in". Of course, the public in general would be kept ignorant to avoid mayhem - the only people who would know the truth would be those who strictly need to.

Those leaders would then be suggested to work to make the world a more pleasant place for everyone in it for the brief time we have left. Since, you know, we don't have to worry about things like global warming or economic recession (as long as it takes more than a couple years to manifest) or your rivals becoming too powerful, etc. So they could do stuff like overspend the government's budget to provide everyone with benefits, hold off on wars, bring down the prices on good or useful products at the cost of bankrupting their company / ruining the industry on the long term, and so on. Of course, lots of people would lambast those leaders for those reckless decisions, but as long as they can stay in power until the end of the world (or their successor is suitably informed of the reasons behind their decisions), it shouldn't matter. After all, there won't be any history books to condemn them.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic with that. World leaders have been *******s for pretty much all of history, I don't know if the literal end of the world would be enough to change that. Maybe they might decide this is the time to finally set some scores straight and, I dunno, throw all their nukes at their political rival or something. But I think I'd want to let a group of highly-qualified people decide what to do with this information...

Fragenstein
2015-08-03, 11:04 AM
The 100% correct thing is not you thinking you're 100% correct, its FACTUALLY 100% correct, at least as the OP put it.

Yeah, I know. I'm just considering my approach to being 100% correct in such a thing. If 2+2=The End of the Universe, then I'd really hope that someone out there could prove that 2+2=5

I could look at the facts 35 different ways and see everything always add up to the inevitable. I could be completely sure of myself, to the point where there SHOULD be no doubt left in my mind, and yet still have doubt. I could look at the horrible, inevitable conclusion and still feel the need for confirmation -- especially with something this damning.

Even as part of a thought experiment where I'm expected to have absolute faith in my own abilities -- I would seek out the opinions of others. And, like I said earlier, it's not up to me to hold something like this back. People deserve to know.

Who knows. Maybe I'm just giving them the chance to fight against the inevitable. I might have surrendered to the Event, but there are some who won't go down without a fight. I don't know for certain that the planet would eat itself alive with chaos. I can maintain irrational hope in the face of certain doom that I'm wrong. I just don't think I could keep my mouth shut.

Arcane_Secrets
2015-08-11, 04:01 AM
I'd go ahead and tell the world if I both knew that this was true and could prove it incontrovertibly (to avoid the issue of nobody believing me).

1) I figure that people at least deserve the truth before it all ends. It also brings up an interesting social question, though-namely if people know that they only have two years left not just in their lives, but in the entire concept of life itself as near as anyone can tell, would we actually change and improve things or just cynically give in to the idea that nothing is going to matter anyways?

2) Even though this is probably going to sound really petty I'd tell off a lot of people who really had it coming that I've known.

Eldan
2015-08-11, 04:29 AM
Plunder, pillage and debauchery.

Arcane_Secrets
2015-08-12, 12:19 AM
The next step, which I'd propose to those scientists right away (knowing full well the matter would be probably out of my hands once I shared my results), would be to contact a select cadre of world leaders to inform them of the news. This would include not only political leaders (presidents, prime ministers etc.) but also industry leaders and other influential people, such as media magnates. Once again, both power and reliability would be weighed when selecting who's "in". Of course, the public in general would be kept ignorant to avoid mayhem - the only people who would know the truth would be those who strictly need to.

Those leaders would then be suggested to work to make the world a more pleasant place for everyone in it for the brief time we have left. Since, you know, we don't have to worry about things like global warming or economic recession (as long as it takes more than a couple years to manifest) or your rivals becoming too powerful, etc. So they could do stuff like overspend the government's budget to provide everyone with benefits, hold off on wars, bring down the prices on good or useful products at the cost of bankrupting their company / ruining the industry on the long term, and so on. Of course, lots of people would lambast those leaders for those reckless decisions, but as long as they can stay in power until the end of the world (or their successor is suitably informed of the reasons behind their decisions), it shouldn't matter. After all, there won't be any history books to condemn them.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic with that. World leaders have been *******s for pretty much all of history, I don't know if the literal end of the world would be enough to change that. Maybe they might decide this is the time to finally set some scores straight and, I dunno, throw all their nukes at their political rival or something. But I think I'd want to let a group of highly-qualified people decide what to do with this information...

Isn't a more likely scenario that they'll just try and silence everyone who knows, and if you try and go public paint you as a crank who has no idea what you're saying so you live the rest of your life as the butt of jokes if you're lucky, and in total ignominy if you aren't-and then everyone still dies anyway? With that being said, here's my next hypothetical situation/response question:

If you knew and could reliably prove it, but telling other people ultimately wouldn't convince them and it ultimately wouldn't make any difference, would you still tell them? If only your closest friends/family believed you, but nobody else would believe you, would that make it worth it? I suppose this is sort of asking the question of whether telling a truth is a meaningful act even if there's no possibility of vindication through its validity?

golentan
2015-08-12, 12:52 AM
Publish, all the math and observations and what have you, in every journal and paper that'll accept it, online, free distribution, the whole works. Tell people now is the time to enjoy what time they have, that NO, you don't have to make long term plans and that YES, you can cash out your retirement fund and as long as you can manage to feed yourself for 2 years you're no worse off than you would have been, and plead with people to avoid rioting and rather simply relax and enjoy life in good company rather than duking it out for power, status, and money. Climb on a boat with my lover and approximately 2 years worth of supplies and try to enjoy every sunset we have.

My dad's answer to "The End of the World is Nigh" involves a tub of ice cream, chocolate mousse, eclairs, pizza, and more mere hours before the appointed moment (he and I share a dairy allergy). He's joked he'd be one of the only people legitimately distraught to hear he wasn't going to die if someone managed to pull off some last minute heroics...

Killer Angel
2015-08-12, 04:54 AM
A cruise around the world.

Lentrax
2015-08-12, 05:54 AM
In the spirit of the "what would you do if you were omnipotent" thread, I'd like to propose another thought experiment... this time something less conductive to megalomania, I hope :smallsmile:

The scenario I had in mind that inspired this thought experiment was a Vacuum Metastability Event (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_event). Maybe you're an astrophysicist who, through some bizarre combination of experiments/observations nobody else is likely to repeat for a long while, found out such an event is destroying the Universe, and the bubble of annihilation is coming toward Earth at the speed of light. Maybe it's something else like, I dunno, the sun going nova earlier than expected, or grey goo, or whatever else.

Regardless of the specific details behind this catastrophe, the facts of the matter are:

-You know the entire world, and everything and everyone in it, will be utterly annihilated within, say, two and a half years.

-It's absolutely impossible to stop, prevent or mitigate this disaster in any way, regardless of the resources or effort expended.

-You have solid, unambiguous evidence of those facts, which should be recognizable as valid by anyone with sufficient technical knowledge.

-Only you know about this right now, and you're fairly certain nobody else will find out on their own until the disaster hits.

So... what do you do? Do you let the world know, and risk widespread panic? Do you leave them in blissful ignorance and live out your last days the best you can? Or something else?

I know what I'd do, but that's really not for public knowledge. So instead, I leave you with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5m6nXRGB4

(It's only actually like 24 seconds long, not 8 minutes...)

MrConsideration
2015-08-12, 06:31 AM
Either one continuous party with no concern for health or consequences.

Or curl up in a ball and cry about the unfairness of it all.

aspi
2015-08-12, 08:12 AM
Publish, all the math and observations and what have you, in every journal and paper that'll accept it, online, free distribution, the whole works. Tell people now is the time to enjoy what time they have, that NO, you don't have to make long term plans and that YES, you can cash out your retirement fund and as long as you can manage to feed yourself for 2 years you're no worse off than you would have been, and plead with people to avoid rioting and rather simply relax and enjoy life in good company rather than duking it out for power, status, and money. Climb on a boat with my lover and approximately 2 years worth of supplies and try to enjoy every sunset we have.
So where does all the food come from that everyone will need for the remaining 2.5 years if nobody is working any more?

golentan
2015-08-12, 09:50 AM
So where does all the food come from that everyone will need for the remaining 2.5 years if nobody is working any more?

It's not as though we need to worry about sustainability any more. There's a farm near me where, hey, pay 5 dollars, go out and pick up to a bushel of veggies, fruit, ask more farmers to do similar rather than employing day laborers: Need a lift? I'm headed that way on my boat anyway. Throw open strategic grain reserves. Not everyone is gonna stop working, it's meaningful for a lot of people and if that's where you find your joy, go for it! My advice is just don't worry so much about the things that stress you.

And truthfully... People would deserve to know that the Universe has a terminal illness. If they abuse that information, that's up to them, but I don't get to make their decisions for them. The modern world depresses a lot of people, myself included, if I find out I have an imminent expiration date I'm going to make the most of what I have, do I really get to say "And the other ~7 billion of you are less entitled to make that choice than me, return to your cubicles, return to the fields, and keep planning for a future that will never happen, keep hoping that one day 30 years from now you'll be happier than this despite the fact it's not true?" Probably, yeah, it'll hasten the death of some. But, what the hell, we all just got the Long Face anyway.

StabbityRabbit
2015-08-12, 11:32 AM
First off I'd say, "Huh, I guess the fundamentalists were right.":smallbiggrin:

After I say my stupid joke I'd give my findings to anyone qualified to prove them wrong, and hope one person does. At this point in my life the only thing keeping me going is the hope that the future will be better, so I have a hard time picturing myself not getting extremely depressed. I'd probably end up sleeping a whole lot, and hoping for sweet dreams. At least for a while. If I ever got over that I really have no clue what I'd do.

thirsting
2015-08-13, 03:13 AM
100% sure, 100% unpreventable? I would throw up, take few days off from work, curse my inability to become mad, then proceed as before.

Not sure if I'd want to spend more or less time with family. Maybe both. Have some quality alone time, but make sure I devote enough attention to them, too, at other times.

Rest of the World? No way I would tell, or it would be an .... interesting 2½ years after that. Don't need zombie apocalypse without zombies, for sure.

Eldan
2015-08-13, 08:42 AM
And truthfully... People would deserve to know that the Universe has a terminal illness. If they abuse that information, that's up to them, but I don't get to make their decisions for them. The modern world depresses a lot of people, myself included, if I find out I have an imminent expiration date I'm going to make the most of what I have, do I really get to say "And the other ~7 billion of you are less entitled to make that choice than me, return to your cubicles, return to the fields, and keep planning for a future that will never happen, keep hoping that one day 30 years from now you'll be happier than this despite the fact it's not true?" Probably, yeah, it'll hasten the death of some. But, what the hell, we all just got the Long Face anyway.

I'm reasonably sure I would be that selfish.

Merellis
2015-08-13, 09:07 AM
Thinking about it, I might go for the Bond Villain end here.

Lair in a volcanic island, spread the information of how I'm going to end the world and see who comes forwards to stop me. Have a ton of fun with it, with the information of what will actually end the world sitting in my personal quarters for the hero to find afterwards. Maybe some sort of note about how I spent all this effort and funding to have some fun with the whole doomed planet thing.

Bonus points for me if they read it just before the end of the world.

Could also pull that classic villain thing where they do a broadcast that takes over every bit of media.

I dunno, figure I could pull off some silly thing where I go down in infamy for all of five minutes before there's nothing.

Telonius
2015-08-13, 12:21 PM
I'd probably find a few "no interest for the first 2 years" credit cards and max them out. Absolutely no hope of changing anything? Then there's no point in telling anyone. Might as well enjoy myself as much as possible between now and doomsday.

Forum Explorer
2015-08-13, 01:56 PM

You know what? I think I agree with this. I'd publish as normal, see if the scientific community could pull off the impossible and prove me wrong. And if not, let the world do as it pleases.

I would however, buy enough supplies to last me for the next 2.5 years.

Then I'd simply relax, spend time with family and friends, play with my dogs, and enjoy the final days til the end, however those days play out.

Jermz
2015-08-16, 02:16 AM
I've actually been thinking about this for the past day or two - and in all honesty, I think that the most moral, humane and self-serving thing to do would be to not tell anyone. Assuming that people don't brand me a loony (we've all seen the doomsday naysayers hanging around street corners and holing up in compounds), and the facts are 100% true and 100% of humanity will die - I really don't see any reason to publish this or let people know that the end is nigh.

Such a move would undoubtedly see society crumble as all morality, financial considerations, and reason get trampled beneath the literal "enjoy life now, for there is no tomorrow." Cash would have no value, banks wouldn't be able to cover the amount of people actually trying to withdraw their now-worthless savings, people would do as they please at the expense of others and the entire global economy and other institutions would collapse.

I can't see a single good reason to spill the beans, and the whole "humanity has a right to know" doesn't cut it for me. The toughest thing would be the days leading up to the disaster, thinking if I should tell my partner, my parents, or anyone - and actually living with the knowledge of the exact date and time that humanity gets extinguished forever. If I withdrew all my money, or quit my job and went on a round-the-world trip, there would be suspicions and people asking me about why I did this. I'd have to create some cover story, I guess, one that could rationlise all this wanton spending (well, not so much spending -I'm far from being a rich person!).

Karl, the Cera
2015-08-16, 02:25 PM
Well this is pretty easy to answer really.

The very first thing I would do is find the woman I love (I already know her), and give her a kiss and a hug. Maybe try to settle down with her, fulfill out dream of traveling the world together. There's only two and a half years of life left, so why waste it trying to settle down and make a family, get material possessions or anything like that? It'd be a waste of time that I could be spending with her, and no matter what it took I would find her, even if it took me the whole two and a half years to do. I'd find her, and before the end I'd kiss her if nothing else.

The soundtrack of my life would become Theophany, Time's End. If you've never listened to it, it's a wonderful album inspired by a wonderful piece of art that quite accurately portrays the varying feels of the end of the world, I'm talking about the music and what inspired it. For two and a half years, this would be what I listened to most. I'd meditate to it, contemplate what was to come while listening to it, I'd share it with my loved one and likely more than once cry over it. Even the end of everything needs some music, right?

Presuming that I was able to get to the woman I love as quickly as possible, I'd get married. No doubt, right away. In this end of the world scenario, why not? I might as well do everything and anything with this woman while I can. In fact, the only things I wouldn't do would be things that got me killed. My life span has been prematurely cut short already, I don't want to take a chance on ending it even sooner now that I was with and married to the woman of my dreams. That too would just be stupid.

When the end was close, I imagine we'd see signs. Whatever the sign was, it'd be my cue to find some place high and relatively peaceful. There are some pseudo mountains where I live that are basically just giant hills, not really a mountain. I think I'd find one of those with little to no trees and just sit on it, then watch as everything ended. As far as I'm concerned, in this scenario in which I've married my soulmate and traveled the world with them, there wouldn't be anything left to do except to wait for the end. I'd face it with eyes wide open and with as still of a mind as I could possibly muster.

That's what I'd do if I knew the world was ending in two and a half years.

Winter_Wolf
2015-08-16, 03:20 PM

So basically "business as normal" for me. :smallwink:

I'd probably turn wholeheartedly to a life of evil knowing that at most I could expect to get away with it for two and a half years. 'Cause there are a few people I'd very much like to precede me into the next world, and I'd not much object to being the send-off party.

yep, I have anger issues and hold grudges.

smcmike
2015-08-16, 04:44 PM
I would have to tell those closest to me, but would be very worried that I would not be able to convince them, or that the end of the world would make them very sad. I would not tell anyone else. I would find a good accountant and figure out the best way to cash out completely without having to spend the last few months running from collectors. Finally, family vacation until the end.

Lentrax
2015-08-16, 05:06 PM

I'd probably turn wholeheartedly to a life of evil knowing that at most I could expect to get away with it for two and a half years. 'Cause there are a few people I'd very much like to precede me into the next world, and I'd not much object to being the send-off party.

Have you ever considered the benefits of employment as a Henchman?

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/henchmen-Wanted-Ad.jpeg

All interested send message to Lentrax, c/o Gitp.com

Kalmageddon
2015-08-17, 04:15 AM
That's a tough question. If it was just the Earth being destroyed I'd probably try to focus my efforts in bringing everyone together to escape the planet or at the very least send some kind of legacy out in the stars, hoping the memories of humanity will outlast us...
But if it's the whole universe collapsing? In just 2 Years?

I suppose parallel uiverses and/or dimensions are not in the spirit of the thread, so I won't consider those a possibility.
I guess I would keep everything to myself and try my best to make these last 2 years the best years of my life. Possibily of everyone's life, but that seems to be a bit out of reach.

Winter_Wolf
2015-08-17, 10:31 AM
Have you ever considered the benefits of employment as a Henchman?

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/henchmen-Wanted-Ad.jpeg

All interested send message to Lentrax, c/o Gitp.com

Depends. Do you offer dental? :smallbiggrin:

Lentrax
2015-08-17, 04:37 PM
Yes. And our health plan is very comprehensive. The silver jumpsuit is mandatory, however.

Coidzor
2015-08-17, 04:56 PM
Forward it onto scientists and bring on the apocalypse orgies.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-08-17, 05:08 PM
Hmm considering my whole life has been lived in planning for the future... Well probably reasonable evil, things that cause long term suffering but aren't too bad short term like ruining someone's credit through identity theft. I would work to gather as much money as possible then tell(with irrefutable evidence) the CEO's of all triple A gaming companies and have them work on the greatest collection of games of all time to be released within a year and a half so there's a whole year for everyone to play them. Build the best PC possible with my wealth and play ridiculous levels of impossible to play on my PC games. Then more evil and yes I'm open to henchman work.

EDIT: Also losing my virginity after 18 years would be nice since I can't hope for a real relationship with the whole world gonna end thing. Though if, "I have more intimate knowledge of your body than any non-doctor you could ever date but no hands on experience." Isn't a good pickup line, then, "The world's ending and I have more intimate knowledge of your body than any non-doctor you could ever date but no hands on experience." Probably won't work either.

Bulldog Psion
2015-08-17, 08:49 PM
If it's 100% sure and 100% unavoidable, why tell anyone? Let them pursue their lives; they won't even be aware that they're not going to complete them at the moment oblivion snaps them out of existence. Sounds like the most merciful solution to me.

Why bother getting someone to see if I'm wrong? If I'm wrong, everyone lives, no harm, no foul. If I'm right -- again, what's the point?

As for myself personally, I'd try to do the most of what I like doing. Walk outside a lot. Hang around people I like. Get a new French bulldog and spoil them rotten. Eat my favorite foods and drink my favorite drinks whenever possible. Get in a lot of gaming. Read my favorite books again. Paint miniatures.

And keep a few bucks on hand just in case I'm wrong after all.

Diamondeye
2015-08-17, 09:38 PM
If this universe is doomed, I think I'd put all my efforts into trying to find a way into another universe.

While I'd love to just spend the time making my family happy, there would be no way to do this in any special way without cluing them in something was wrong, and I just don't think they should have to know that's coming. As it is, it would be exceedingly painful knowing the little ones wouldn't grow up and hearing my wife talk about the future.

thirsting
2015-08-18, 09:40 AM

In case the bad news could not be kept secret, then I could see myself out there fighting people like above (or, more likely, trying, then die horribly).
Nothing to lose anymore, so why not? Superhero idealistic-fool-dying-early time!

...I need a cape.

Raddish
2015-08-18, 11:44 AM
Not believe it will happen and continue living my life as I do.

Corey
2015-08-24, 11:52 PM
The first thing I'd do is reread Larry Niven's Inconstant Moon. :smallbiggrin:

(Great story, BTW.)

lovablepal
2015-08-25, 07:41 AM
Most definitely, I'd spend it with my loved ones and make the most out of the time left.

tomandtish
2015-08-28, 12:26 PM
Every day becomes "Pants Optional Friday".

Scarlet Knight
2015-08-30, 06:12 PM
First off I'd say, "Huh, I guess the fundamentalists were right.":smallbiggrin:

I was going to say form a sackcloth and ashes firm.

But yes, contact the Pope , the Dalai Llama, and any religious leader to help prepare for the end times.

I cannot help my children survive this world but perhaps they can get to the next.

Who knows, with luck, perhaps we can get a spaceship to launch with enough people to survive elsewhere and save humanity.

Peelee
2015-09-16, 10:27 PM
I'd repent. Because, ya know, the end would be near.

And then go to the beach.

Giggling Ghast
2015-09-17, 12:46 PM
Probably spend less time on an Internet forum.

Scarlet Knight
2015-09-20, 10:25 AM
EDIT: Also losing my virginity after 18 years would be nice since I can't hope for a real relationship with the whole world gonna end thing. Though if, "I have more intimate knowledge of your body than any non-doctor you could ever date but no hands on experience." Isn't a good pickup line, then, "The world's ending and I have more intimate knowledge of your body than any non-doctor you could ever date but no hands on experience." Probably won't work either.

"Fun fact: it's not necrophilia if he was alive when the sex started!"

ThinkMinty
2015-09-20, 10:43 AM

...I'd try to stop it anyway, OP. Why? Because **** the apocalypse, that's why.

Unuoctium
2015-10-14, 02:32 AM
I would probably stress a lot, tell close friends and family, burn out, and generally hope that the world doesn't fall into dystopian anarchy within the next 2.5 years. And move cross country, for sure.

If the world were to DnD end, I would rally everybody together to cover the planet in chocolate, popcorn, and those really good wafer treats with the frosting and crunchy layers in anticipation of some amazing snacks for when everybody goes boom. Until it ends, so much Titanfall. So, so very much Titanfall to play.

Jay R
2015-10-14, 11:25 AM
First, borrow lots and lots of money, due in three years.

Then get down on my knees and pray for understanding, forgiveness, and mercy for all.

I'd probably start a spreadsheet of major world religions, and try to work out which ones are formally proven untrue by this scenario.

And use all that money to help comfort as many people as I can.

I would not publish my results until after the last major harvest season before the end. Why increase the world's suffering?

And I would stop counting calories, and have ice cream every day.

Vizzerdrix
2015-10-14, 12:54 PM
Let everyone know. Just because I can't think of a way to survive this somehow doesn't mean someone else can't. At the least, everyone deserves to make their final peace or go down fighting.

Jay R
2015-10-14, 01:09 PM
Always consult the experts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OniyfZSKV9A) (starting at 4:50).

Agent K: You did not see a room full of shiny weapons, you did not see four alien night crawlers. You will love and cherish each other for the rest of your life.

Agent J: Which could be the next 27 or 28 minutes, so y'all should get to lovin' and cherishin'. Oh, and she gets to stay up as late as she wants and have candy and cookies and cake and junk and stuff...

SirKazum
2015-10-14, 07:22 PM
I'd probably start a spreadsheet of major world religions, and try to work out which ones are formally proven untrue by this scenario.

I like the way you think :smallamused:

danzibr
2015-10-14, 08:55 PM
Put my stories up on the kindle store for free.

Jay R
2015-10-14, 09:55 PM
I like the way you think :smallamused:

I'm a scientist. There's a large number of hypotheses that cannot be tested. If I suddenly discover a new tool that can test, them, I'm certainly going to use it.

Besides, if the world is ending in a couple of years, determining which religious assumptions are correct is a problem of the highest urgency.

Insane Trystane
2015-11-05, 09:24 PM
If I'm truly 100% certain that there is no hope, I wouldn't tell anyone. Ignorance is bliss, after all. That being said, I'd probably loosen up on my criteria for romantic partners and marry someone I could put up with for 2.5 years instead of 50+. Dunno if I'd tell them, and I certainly wouldn't get pregnant. No sense in dooming yet another life. Maybe I'd adopt, I dunno. But yeah, I'd just try to live well, if a little more carelessly.

Tyndmyr
2015-11-10, 06:02 PM
It occurs to me that, given the specificity and surety of the knowledge listed in the OP....

I'd probably be responsible for it.

So yeah, not telling anyone.

Jak
2015-11-11, 03:34 PM
The same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to save the world!

If the efforts prove fruitless, then just the people on it. We've been in space before. We can figure something out. Maybe a massive space station with dirt and plants and stuff. I dunno. The hippie answer seems to be "throw a closed ecosystem at it."

veti
2015-11-11, 04:38 PM
I'd be very sad.

I'd cash in my savings and start to live a bit more extravagantly. Not hugely, but might as well blow the retirement fund, right?

And I'd start building a radio antenna in my back yard, with a parabolic dish designed to transmit a highly directional signal. Then I'd pick what I thought was the best of my culture, encode it as robustly as possible, and transmit it in the direction of random nearby stars, in the faint hope that something, somewhere, might pick it up. It's the best I, personally, could do to try to preserve something from our collective existence.

Jon_Dahl
2015-11-12, 04:14 AM
I'd sell my apartment for a discount, and then I'd try to take some loan, but that would be really difficult since I don't have a job and without my apartment I wouldn't have anything to put in as collateral.

I'd travel around the world and I would do lots of wild and crazy things that I can't even publish on this forum. I would sleep in cheap motels just to make sure that I could visit lots of countries during those one or two years.

I'd start smoking. I've never smoked.

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-12, 03:08 PM
Wait, you mean it isn't?:smallconfused: I've been listening to the wrong philosophers than.

SirKazum
2015-11-12, 09:38 PM
Wait, you mean it isn't?:smallconfused: I've been listening to the wrong philosophers than.

To paraphrase Roy, the scenario is just moving up the timetable :smallamused:

And great replies all around, you guys. I don't think there's a "better" answer. I like this sort of question for what the answer says about the answerer. Interesting to see the different viewpoints here.

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-15, 04:56 PM
To paraphrase Roy, the scenario is just moving up the timetable :smallamused:

Oh! In that case send a very suggestive marriage proposal to every female celebrity I have a crush. Hey, that restraining order isn't going to do a lot of good after an asteroid/the Death Star/Frieza nukes this planet. And law of probability, one might say yes.:smallwink: