PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana: Modern Magic

Wartex1
2015-08-03, 11:10 AM
It's here y'all: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modern-magic

EDIT:

In summary, it's an expansion to the modern rules including firearms, ballistic damage, and modern armor. We get a bunch of new spells and three new subclasses: City Domain, Ghost in the Machine Patron, and the Technomancy Wizard School.

HoarsHalberd
2015-08-03, 11:19 AM
Doesn't really work without some more modern setting stuff like a vehicle for find vehicle.

Wartex1
2015-08-03, 11:21 AM
I agree with that. I wish there was a bit more support for the new stuff.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign

There's the rules this is supposed to go with.

Ralanr
2015-08-03, 11:23 AM
And again I shall wait for a new barbarian subclass from unearthed arcana.

In the meantime, new options for warlocks and clerics finally.

Ziegander
2015-08-03, 11:51 AM
This looks fantastic. Wow.

pwykersotz
2015-08-03, 11:54 AM
I hate that picture they used on the site. I always have. :smallyuk:

So I'm loving the themes they're drawing on. Ghost in the Machine as a patron is awesome, and all the powers of the various classes are very cinematic. I do have one small (large) problem though. The top level Technomancer ability Chained Device. Does having the device concentrate for you mean you can have two concentration spells going (which is bad), or does it mean that damage you take doesn't interrupt your concentration (which is much better)?

Pyon
2015-08-03, 11:59 AM
I mean this is interesting but it really only works for the type of campaign I am NOT into. So I guess I'm just saying this ain't for me. However it would be funny to be a tech mage in a fantasy setting, and be completely useless c:

HoarsHalberd
2015-08-03, 12:00 PM
And again I shall wait for a new barbarian subclass from unearthed arcana.

In the meantime, new options for warlocks and clerics finally.

Barbarian Subclass: Sin City's Marv

Rage:

Level 3: "I got you now, ya little bastard." Whilst under the effects of rage you are considered to have +1 to your strength modifier for the purposes of hitting and damaging with slashing, balistic or bludgeoning damage and saves. And can use strength instead of dexterity for to hit with firearms whilst within 15 ft of your target.

Level 3: "You can scream now if you want:" Can use strength instead of charisma for all intimidation checks.

Level 6: "I've been having so much fun I forgot to take my medicine." Can choose to take 1d8 psychic damage to make a constitution save instead of a mental save whilst under the effects of rage

Level 10: "I've got a condition:" Advantage on saves against being poisoned. Immunity to the effects of alcohol.

Level 14: "Biggest meanest lug around:" DR of level/5 + con modifier during rage. Resistance to lightning damage at all times.

(Probably a bit overpowered but it is meant as a joke anyway.)

SharkForce
2015-08-03, 12:07 PM
I mean this is interesting but it really only works for the type of campaign I am NOT into. So I guess I'm just saying this ain't for me. However it would be funny to be a tech mage in a fantasy setting, and be completely useless c:

yeah, if i want to play in a futuristic world, i'd do so in a game designed to handle it better, not D&D.

ah well. guess they can't all be interesting.

Ralanr
2015-08-03, 12:10 PM
Barbarian Subclass: Sin City's Marv

Rage:

Level 3: "I got you now, ya little bastard." Whilst under the effects of rage you are considered to have +1 to your strength modifier for the purposes of hitting and damaging with slashing, balistic or bludgeoning damage and saves. And can use strength instead of dexterity for to hit with firearms whilst within 15 ft of your target.

Level 3: "You can scream now if you want:" Can use strength instead of charisma for all intimidation checks.

Level 6: "I've been having so much fun I forgot to take my medicine." Can choose to take 1d8 psychic damage to make a constitution save instead of a mental save whilst under the effects of rage

Level 10: "I've got a condition:" Advantage on saves against being poisoned. Immunity to the effects of alcohol.

Level 14: "Biggest meanest lug around:" DR of level/5 + con modifier during rage. Resistance to lightning damage at all times.

(Probably a bit overpowered but it is meant as a joke anyway.)

Worth it XD

obryn
2015-08-03, 12:20 PM
We get a bunch of new spells and three new subclasses: City Domain, Ghost in the Machine Patron, and the Technomancy Wizard School.
Well, at least spellcasters are finally getting some love. This wealth of new options for non-casters was getting a bit overwhelming.

pwykersotz
2015-08-03, 12:25 PM
Well, at least spellcasters are finally getting some love. This wealth of new options for non-casters was getting a bit overwhelming.

Apt and hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-08-03, 12:38 PM
Honestly thought I'd hate this.

...I'm not.

This is actually amazing and now I want to run a D&D Shadowrunner game. And I was all geared up for a dark ages setting too....

Shining Wrath
2015-08-03, 12:42 PM
Haven't read it (link blocked at work), so please tell me: what are the chances a DM (moi) could open a portal and have some of these guys fall through into a medieval setting campaign and have fun with it?

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-08-03, 01:01 PM
Haven't read it (link blocked at work), so please tell me: what are the chances a DM (moi) could open a portal and have some of these guys fall through into a medieval setting campaign and have fun with it?

Most of the stuff needs access to modern-ish tech to work at all...but the City Cleric could be refluffed as a Law Mage if you're playing in a mega-city like Ravnica or something.

PhantomRenegade
2015-08-03, 01:39 PM
I see we're getting to Moderna magic before fixing the beastmaster.

Kryx
2015-08-03, 01:45 PM
I see we're getting to Moderna magic before fixing the beastmaster.
They're going to fully revamp Ranger so I wouldn't expect any work on the current version.

Mearls discussed it in a podcast.

obryn
2015-08-03, 02:04 PM
They're going to fully revamp Ranger so I wouldn't expect any work on the current version.

Mearls discussed it in a podcast.
I don't think that's in the cards. They're not going to really fix anything in the PHB; all of it will be in the form of band-aids that individual tables can apply, or else funny word games to reinterpret the existing text.

So instead, you'll see a new subclass in Unearthed Arcana called the "Sooper Dooper Beastmaster" and maybe a feat or two to improve the old one.

Daremonai
2015-08-03, 02:05 PM
That's all well and good for Clerics, Wizards and Warlocks, but I can't help thinking that something got missed.

...Bards are still a thing, right?

EvilAnagram
2015-08-03, 02:14 PM
That's all well and good for Clerics, Wizards and Warlocks, but I can't help thinking that something got missed.

...Bards are still a thing, right?

Bards are easy to import into a modern setting. Use an electric guitar and take Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning with Magical Secrets.

RazDelacroix
2015-08-03, 02:22 PM
The best campaign I ever ran was a d20 Future game with fantasy elements. And with that in mind I was quite pleased the contents of today's UA release. Though now I want to see what a devoted paladin's celestial hoverbike would look like...

To express my personal desires for further future/modern/etc. fluff and crunch, I would like to toss some ideas out.

Subclasses from the d20 Modern, Cyberscape, Future, and Apocalypse books.

Barbarian: Dreadnought, let us have a barbarian that STOPS FOR NOTHING! Especially meddlesome tanks.

Bard: Ambassador, the ultimate diplomancer. Enough said.

Druid: Shaman, be one with nature and WRECK THAT T-REX! And save the rainforest too.

Fighter: Cyberwarrior, because we all love the concept of an arm cannon.
Gunslinger, because yes.
Mecha Jockey, because we love armor that makes roving bands of orcs weep in fear.
Martial Artist, because fighters fight as much as monks do.

Monk: Helix warrior, because gene-therapy-improved monks are awesome.

Paladin: Dogfighter, because one of the class features was named, literally, DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE!
Purifier, because space is cold and dark and needs a light. Holy light.

Ranger: Bug-Hunter, because I watched Aliens again and I think my D&D crew could do a better job.
Xenophile, because I watched Aliens again and I think at least one of us should know when to pay attention to the experts.
Nuclear Nomad, because I want to watch the new Mad Max movie.
Tracer, because I watched Blade Runner again and I don't feel like we should lose track of those fugitive droids!

Rogue: Swindler, they make probability dance!

KorvinStarmast
2015-08-03, 02:27 PM
Well, the arrival of Steam Punk was inevitable.

Just a quick note: they forgot the most important domain spells for City Bard:

Enter Politics /Run For Office
Get on TV with a bullhorn.

Class ability at ninth level:

Detect media organ within seven miles.

:p

Other note:
Technomancy is class limited to Gnomes and Goblins. (Yes, Warcraft II was a favorite game ... back in the day)

Kryx
2015-08-03, 02:30 PM
I don't think that's in the cards. They're not going to really fix anything in the PHB; all of it will be in the form of band-aids that individual tables can apply, or else funny word games to reinterpret the existing text.

So instead, you'll see a new subclass in Unearthed Arcana called the "Sooper Dooper Beastmaster" and maybe a feat or two to improve the old one.
They will leave the current Ranger as is. But they will likely revamp the whole class - Mearls discussed this in a Wizards podcast like a month ago.

He suggested they would offer many variants for community feedback.

EvilAnagram
2015-08-03, 02:35 PM
Snip

I'd like to see some of these concepts expanded upon.

Although the Bard is already the ultimate diplomancer. A level 10 bard can already make a +11 Persuasion check with advantage at the cost of a single spell slot. A max level bard can make a +14 Persuasion check with advantage. Or just force any creature to comply with his wishes using a charm spell. The bard's ability to get people to do things is already epic.

Jurai
2015-08-03, 02:42 PM
I want that Octopus-tank. Also, GitM patron is INCREDIBLE.

spartan_ah
2015-08-03, 03:32 PM
I like better the idea of sending a group forward in time for an adventure, not a whole campaign.
but then, maybe I could add a few tricks for the PC's form the UA.
but all in all I really planned for a while to drop the PC's in a portal in the middle of central park after chasing BBEG. and then, prevent his scheme and get back to rheir world. (which the portal is, obviously, in Finland, or Congo... good luck getting on this huge metal bird with you gp...) :smallcool:

Wartex1
2015-08-03, 03:37 PM
Some of the subclasses could probably be adapted into non-tech versions, like on/off working with simple machines like catapults, travelling through letters instead of telephones, etc.

Pyon
2015-08-03, 04:02 PM
Some of the subclasses could probably be adapted into non-tech versions, like on/off working with simple machines like catapults, travelling through letters instead of telephones, etc.

I can't see "traveling through letters" as NOT being silly...

Wartex1
2015-08-03, 04:15 PM

Since when have magical elf games not been silly?

Paeleus
2015-08-03, 04:28 PM
This is sick. It fits in super well with our space age sci-fi side campaign!

Pyon
2015-08-03, 04:31 PM
Since when have magical elf games not been silly?

Don't you dare call my Earthbound-like post apocalyptic high magic campaign where you fight cats "silly". It's a great example of amazing story telling >=/

EvilAnagram
2015-08-03, 04:51 PM

Which is why I love it.

rollingForInit
2015-08-03, 05:02 PM
Nice idea and what's there seems good, but ... to run a real modern campaign, there'd need to be more like a "PHB: 2015". Altered classes, subclasses, new base classes maybe, new stuff around all of that. Items, how to deal with technology, etc. I'm sure it could be done, and would work well. This is a nice first look, but really not enough. I'd be excited to see a fully revised modern D&D, though. D&D has simplicity going for it, compared to other systems.

But until there's more, it'd probably be easier and more fun to run a modern game with a system actually made for it, e.g. WoD, Shadowrun, etc.

Shining Wrath
2015-08-03, 05:19 PM
Which is why I love it.

First question: do gnomes and halflings require less postage?
Next: do wood elves travel faster? What about monks?

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-08-03, 05:45 PM
But until there's more, it'd probably be easier and more fun to run a modern game with a system actually made for it, e.g. WoD, Shadowrun, etc.

Easier and more fun?

And you mentioned Shadowrun in the same breath...?

RazDelacroix
2015-08-03, 06:42 PM
As someone who has played both World of Darkness & Shadowrun, the notion that either of those systems are easier to pick up and use than D&D is... Well I would rather not drown in d6's & d10's that can go nowhere real fast...

Anywho, true the current 'Modern 5th Ed' is not up to pickup-&-play-snuff, but it's playtestable. Which is the blessed point that I love. While I personally would avoid putting my players in the modern-modern era, I love my starlit fantasy too much, I would not be averse to helping make a homebrew supplementary rule-set/equipment for our D&D compatible use.

Let's see...what do w- oh, before I forget. *clears throat and stands on podium*

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Dungeons & Dragons community. I would like to take this opportunity to inform those whom may be new to both d20 Modern as well as D&D, to draw up a little bit of a connection that already currently resides within our 5th Edition tomes.

Elements of d20 Modern have already been incorporated into our 5th Edition.

In d20 Modern, alongside 'Base Classes', players chose for their characters Starting Occupations. This choice could provide additional class skills (and permanent to boot!), feats, and wealth. Sometimes even Reputation! You were not simply a Strong hero, but a Strong hero DOCTOR! And who doesn't like a strapping lad who can take your temperature and speak fluent hospital-speech?

Also was introduced was costs for living between adventures that we now have explicitly stated in the PHB! I love the fact that I no longer have to grubble-blab as to just what precisely I was up to since I killed Lord Formidabus seven years ago in the prior session! Point is, downtime fun.

And with how our PC's can acquire tool proficiencies through expenditure of time and currency, we no longer have to rely on the ever elusive feats to acquire the ability to not just sling spells, but sling spells while piloting that Heavy Dwarven Mole-Hill Buster Mech!

I encourage the idea of a supplement, akin to the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, to welcome back the adventures of Urban-Past-Future-Cyberscape-etc! We are imaginative monsters of creativity! You know what? HERE'S SOME RANDOM CHARACTER IDEAS TO PLAY AS! IN ORDER!

Rock Gnome Barbarian Beserker Urchin, rages through the subway to find his daughter that was taken by the UNDERGOBLINS!

Hill Dwarf Bard Lore Charlatan, does the private-eye gig to line his pockets with gold necessary to pay off the doc that fixed up his old war wounds.

Half-elf Cleric of the City Soldier, running up the ranks of guard force to get what they need to clean up the city.

Forest Gnome Land Druid Hermit, travels the space-ways to catalog the unbelievable life-forms between the stars.

Blue Dragonborn Battlemaster Fighter Noble, sets his eyes on acquiring his own starship from which to command his forces in the fight against the illithid menace.

Tiefling Shadow Monk Folk Hero, in a city where freedom is crushed by the omnipresent surveillance of the DEVILCORP, one soul stands up to break the system.

Aasimar Devoted Paladin Acolyte, walks through the radioactive desert as the sole beacon of justice in a world gone mad.

Half-orc Beastmaster Ranger Sailor, with only a batwolf for a companion they go from ship to ship port to port looking for a place to call their own.

Human Assassin Rogue Entertainer, goes from city to city looking for the next big bounty that will land him another billion subscribers.

Forest Elf Wild Sorcerer Outlander, abducted by ALIENS, they have barely escaped and now must find their way back home across the stars.

High Elf Feypact Warlock Criminal, sometimes you come home and just wonder, who took my my house and nuked it?

Dark Elf Technomancer Wizard Sage, plucky school-nerd just got onto the wrong skybus and now has to find a way to survive the very dangerous Dragon Food Preserve Park!

rollingForInit
2015-08-03, 07:03 PM
Easier and more fun?

And you mentioned Shadowrun in the same breath...?

I also said that D&D has simplicity going for it, so it could probaby do well as a modern RPG. But even using this UA there's a lot that isn't covered, that'd have to be homebrewed or improvised on the spot. And if I had to do that, or go with an existing system ... I'd go with an existing system.

And yes, I know that the 5th edition rulebook, at least, for Shadowrun, is insanely badly written. Still, I like the system, despite the abysmal presentation.

Nifft
2015-08-03, 07:50 PM
I like Shadowrun, and this stuff looks really good to me so far.

Question: where can I find the Firearms game statistics?

Daishain
2015-08-03, 07:56 PM
I like Shadowrun, and this stuff looks really good to me so far.

Question: where can I find the Firearms game statistics?
What little there is of it: DMG page 267+268

Nifft
2015-08-03, 07:58 PM
What little there is of it: DMG page 267+268

Ah, thanks!

Wartex1
2015-08-03, 09:28 PM
He's using different rules that were mentioned in a Behind the Screens article. Check the third post in this topic.

Logosloki
2015-08-03, 10:17 PM
On/Off is officially the best cantrip ever. Commune with City might be my most favourite spell for 5th edition. Find Vehicle can be the prince-consort of 5th edition.

Sigreid
2015-08-03, 11:17 PM
I think the Arcane Gunslinger gives you all the justification you need to allow a blade pact warlock to select a bow of some kind.

MReav
2015-08-04, 12:00 AM
I can totally see a Modern Druid being like a Crazy Cat Lady, or Pigeon Man from Hey Arnold, or in a villainous example, the Rat King from TMNT.

Steampunkette
2015-08-04, 02:34 AM
I want a Casey Jones class with Synchronicity as a class ability.

Joe the Rat
2015-08-04, 07:06 AM
Interesting stuff. The Cleric domain has potential across a lot of settings, though some of the more technopathic spells may need swapped. Though with a little tweaking...

I am rather amused that the Ghost in the Machine Patron capstone lets your Warlock be Warlock (http://marvel.com/universe/Warlock_%28Technarchy%29).

Shining Wrath
2015-08-04, 09:32 AM
Read this last night. Ghost in the Machine patron is excellent.

Balyano
2015-08-04, 12:53 PM
Loved every bit of this.

Would like to a see a biker based subclass for ranger. Get a special mount in the form of a customized bike, so tailored to you specifically that anyone else trying to ride it cant get it to ride right. You get bonuses with it, goes faster, jumps farther, bonuses with stunts, no speed penalty for riding up stairs/inside buildings/up handrails/ect. Any opportunity attack you provoke when riding by is made with disadvantage. Proficiency with mechanics tools, some sort of bonus when repairing your custom ride. Intimidation bonus of some sort. Move through dense traffic at no penalty as you weave through the tight spaces or use one car as a ramp to jump over another car. Point your gun behind you, aim with the mirrors, bang bang.

Fighter needs a fighting style based off Gun Kata from Equilibrium.

Barbarian needs a subclass build around being a barroom brawler, maybe get a bonus for having your back against the wall, or if your opponent is the one near a wall/light post/electric pole/fire hydrant/another person/a french poodle/ect you can use your bonus action to say one of your attacks knocked their head into said object dealing improvised weapon damage.

How about a vigilante based paladin subclass.

Just some thoughts.

Human Paragon 3
2015-08-04, 12:55 PM
I'd be really interested in a rogue that gains proficiency with hackers tools and gets some cool abilities to use those technomancy spells. Like a more tech-focused trickster.

Ranger needs an archetype too. I love the urban ranger as a general film noir anti-hero street tough or private eye.

DanyBallon
2015-08-04, 02:02 PM
I was a bit disapointed when I saw that there weren't anything for mundane classes, but then I realised the title "Modern Magic" :smallbiggrin:
I hope that what's comming next will be as interesting as this!

zinycor
2015-08-04, 02:54 PM
I was hoping for weapons like bazookas, machine guns and items like cars...

It is very nice, but the only thing am not sure is the city domain, but maybe I will end up liking it.

Yorrin
2015-08-04, 05:00 PM
I really like the Technomancer. I'm not normally a Wizard player, but if I was in a modern campaign it would be pretty tempting.

But the real star here is the Arcane Gunslinger invocation. I'm a big fan of it. Free guns for any blade pact warlock? Yes please. What I want to know, however, is if the summoned gun comes with full ammunition.

zinycor
2015-08-04, 05:16 PM
Just finished reading the technomancer and.. WTF?! Chained device seems like total bull****! Does it allow the wizard to maintain concentration on 2 spells? Seems completely broken

Sigreid
2015-08-04, 05:16 PM
I really like the Technomancer. I'm not normally a Wizard player, but if I was in a modern campaign it would be pretty tempting.

But the real star here is the Arcane Gunslinger invocation. I'm a big fan of it. Free guns for any blade pact warlock? Yes please. What I want to know, however, is if the summoned gun comes with full ammunition.

Clearly it should use EB changing the damage type to meet the gun, with all weapon mods

Safety Sword
2015-08-04, 06:00 PM
D&D trying to be Shadowrun...

No thanks.

Flashy
2015-08-04, 09:45 PM
Clearly it should use EB changing the damage type to meet the gun, with all weapon mods

This is actually a lot worse than that invocation at low levels since the guns presented in the dmg all do 2d6 or more damage. It might be better at very high levels but from 1-10 the presented invocation is substantially better.

Sigreid
2015-08-04, 09:53 PM
This is actually a lot worse than that invocation at low levels since the guns presented in the dmg all do 2d6 or more damage. It might be better at very high levels but from 1-10 the presented invocation is substantially better.

Well then, what about the gun simply being fluffed that it draws its power from EB?

CyberThread
2015-08-04, 10:08 PM
D&D trying to be Shadowrun...

No thanks.

Good for you, now go down the hallway and let those of us who enjoy it also enjoy this thread.

Ralanr
2015-08-04, 10:23 PM
I want a Casey Jones class with Synchronicity as a class ability.

Now I want a team of four green dragonborn monks with varying degrees of different multiclasses.

Donatello: Monk/Wizard
Michelangelo: Monk/Bard
Raphael: Monk/Barbarian
Leonardo: Monk/Fighter.

*hums the Teenage mutant ninja turtles themsong, or at least the first few lines*

MReav
2015-08-04, 10:35 PM
Just finished reading the technomancer and.. WTF?! Chained device seems like total bull****! Does it allow the wizard to maintain concentration on 2 spells? Seems completely broken

I raised that concern myself. Hopefully it will be more sane, like it just lets you put your concentration skills in the item, allowing you to bypass concentration checks when you get injured.

zinycor
2015-08-04, 10:37 PM
I raised that concern myself. Hopefully it will be more sane, like it just lets you put your concentration skills in the item, allowing you to bypass concentration checks when you get injured.

I hope that's the case.

Bubzors
2015-08-04, 10:46 PM
I never quite understand why they try and insert these things into D&D. If i wanted futuristic and Cyberpunk I'd be playing another game

Gnomes2169
2015-08-04, 11:17 PM
I never quite understand why they try and insert these things into D&D. If i wanted futuristic and Cyberpunk I'd be playing another game

Sometimes people want a familiar base system and don't want to spend more money buying a completely unfamiliar system that they will then have to convince their friends to buy/ play as well. One person buying a module for the sustem their group enjoys just makes more sense/ works better in some cases (and since this stuff is currently free...)

SharkForce
2015-08-05, 12:21 AM
Sometimes people want a familiar base system and don't want to spend more money buying a completely unfamiliar system that they will then have to convince their friends to buy/ play as well. One person buying a module for the sustem their group enjoys just makes more sense/ works better in some cases (and since this stuff is currently free...)

free and currently extremely incomplete, anyways.

but, like i said earlier... clearly this article is not for me. which is fine, plenty of the other UA articles have been, so it's not like i'm lacking.

(on a side note, for those disappointed in the lack of new material for barbarians and such, well... hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's pretty much par for the course. it's easy to write new spells, and to make new archetypes. basically every single campaign setting for D&D ever has changed wizards and quite likely priests. the largest change i can think of to fighters was probably 2e dark sun, where fighters gained a variety of abilities designed to make them the masters of war rather than the masters of personal combat, which was handed over to a new class called gladiator. they got the ability to train troops, build and use siege engines, and stuff like that... and compared to every other campaign setting of which i am aware, that was a major change to fighters. so, like i said, hate to be the bearer of bad news... but fighters are likely to look more or less the same as they do now for the foreseeable future. because it's harder to reimagine fighters than it is to imagine a different kind of wizard).

zinycor
2015-08-05, 12:25 AM
(on a side note, for those disappointed in the lack of new material for barbarians and such, well... hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's pretty much par for the course. it's easy to write new spells, and to make new archetypes. basically every single campaign setting for D&D ever has changed wizards and quite likely priests. the largest change i can think of to fighters was probably 2e dark sun, where fighters gained a variety of abilities designed to make them the masters of war rather than the masters of personal combat, which was handed over to a new class called gladiator. they got the ability to train troops, build and use siege engines, and stuff like that... and compared to every other campaign setting of which i am aware, that was a major change to fighters. so, like i said, hate to be the bearer of bad news... but fighters are likely to look more or less the same as they do now for the foreseeable future. because it's harder to reimagine fighters than it is to imagine a different kind of wizard).

I don't really want new barbarian or fighter archetypes, what I want is a new Ranger Archetype, They need it so bad...

Slipperychicken
2015-08-05, 02:26 AM
Casters just got access to hollywood hacking and literal technomagic, so I think we'll need some non-magical options to balance it out. That is to say, maneuvers, equipment, and class options to support modernized fighters, rogues, and barbarians. We should have athletics checks to leap from one vehicle to another (i.e. car to helicopter), options for bullet-curving and gun-kata shenanigans, macgyver-ing through problems, super-spy gadgets, vibro-blades (or nanomachines or crystal chainswords or whatever) for martials to penetrate damage thresholds, and other content to enable over-the-top modern action heroics.

Also, modernized backgrounds and equipment packages will be in order. After all, a modern-day researcher isn't likely to be carrying around a quill and ink, and most warriors these days aren't packing zweihanders or chain armor.

Joe the Rat
2015-08-05, 07:00 AM

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
Gamma World conversion notes in 1st ed DMG

Sorry. Hairball.

Getting a full set of options (not just the magic and weapons) at different tech level settings would be interesting.

ImSAMazing
2015-08-05, 01:51 PM
I'd like to see some of these concepts expanded upon.

Although the Bard is already the ultimate diplomancer. A level 10 bard can already make a +11 Persuasion check with advantage at the cost of a single spell slot. A max level bard can make a +14 Persuasion check with advantage. Or just force any creature to comply with his wishes using a charm spell. The bard's ability to get people to do things is already epic.

And with Glibness that means at least 29 Persuasion.

Steampunkette
2015-08-05, 03:31 PM
Bard Rogue. 35.

Safety Sword
2015-08-05, 08:20 PM
Good for you, now go down the hallway and let those of us who enjoy it also enjoy this thread.

Thanks for your opinion on my opinion...