PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Of Witches and Rangers

Sythis
2015-08-03, 12:14 PM
Hello All,

The campaign I am currently in will soon be ending, and to chase away the post campaign blues I decided to try out a new character build. I am looking to start as a Witch 1/Ranger(bow) 2. Now I am not married to the level spread being exactly that, but I thought it would be neat to have a reclusive forest guide type character who may have been introduced into "the old faith" by his family or whoever it is raised him. I would like to stay with the bow weapon style for the ranger side of the build, but I would also like to sprinkle in some more witch levels as I go along to preserve the "cunning man" vibe he would give off. I ask the playground for any and all suggestions for this build, I will say though I am not looking to be a primary caster of focus on that side of the build over the ranging. As far as stats please feel free to suggest a spread, we usually play with 32 point buy and the preferred race is human. Anything goes, I look forward to hearing from you.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-08-03, 12:34 PM
Go Ranger (maybe Witchguard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/witchguard) archetype) or Ranger with the Witch Variant Multi-Classing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Variant-Multiclassing) from Pathfinder Unchained. Either should be both more effective and fit the fluff you want.

That is assuming you want an optimization answer. If not, please ignore my post.

Barstro
2015-08-03, 12:52 PM
The fact that Rangers can cast spells causes me to wonder why you want Witch in there at all. The hexy (a real word) part of Witch won't advance enough to be useful, but those levels will take away from the Ranger side. This sort of combination isn't really needed for roleplay purposes and, to me, doesn't seem to mesh at all for combat purposes.

What exactly (or even generally) are you looking for?

Sythis
2015-08-03, 12:58 PM
I guess I just like the flavor of the witch spell more so than the ranger casting, plus I like having the higher Int for sp over higher Wis. I am just looking for a fun flavorful character concept that allows me to be a more aware "melee" class. Plus I always wanted to play a bard but was not to fond of the meta and flavor about the class. I also wanted to play Druid, but found its abilities and Tier 1 status as a barrier to my enjoyment. This proposed build lets me be a reclusive forest guide who is in touch with the spiritual/magical world via patron.

Spore
2015-08-03, 01:04 PM
I would advise using a Shaman (using bows) or a Hunter. Both hybrid classes offer some of the fluff you want while not destroying your build on a fundamental basis.

I also wanted to play Druid, but found its abilities and Tier 1 status as a barrier to my enjoyment. This proposed build lets me be a reclusive forest guide who is in touch with the spiritual/magical world via patron.

Yeah, this very much sounds like Hunter to me. Shaman is too close to Tier 1 for it to differ from druids. If it has to be Int "casting", you can use an Investigator as chassis, but remember that their "spells" are extracts and the class isn't suited very well for ranged combat.

the clumsy bard
2015-08-03, 01:17 PM
Its not exactly what you are looking for, but why not try the magus archetype hexcrafter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/hexcrafter)?

it combines fun parts of playing a martial character and you get up to 6th levels spells. it even throws in the ability to learn curse spells which you can choose to use in the spellstrikes.

Big and I do mean BIG part of pathfinder is they really emphasize not multiclassing.

If you take part witch and part ranger the witch part is almost useless. Hex DCs are largely based on your witch level which will be sadly low, so higher level enemies will laugh off your attempts to slumber or evil eye them.

If you are married to the idea of hexes as a martial like character i still suggest the hexcrafter (magus) or as already mentioned the shaman can work, but are also very powerful and fall into the more spellcaster then warrior line of things.

Sythis
2015-08-03, 01:42 PM
I am really glad you brought Hex DCs, my idea was to take Hex that applied to the character vs debuffing others. For example, the first Hex I was going to take was Water Lung for some fun underwater portions and what not. If it makes sense I'm trying to build something like a Hunter with all spells and abilities I get from multi classing and such to serve as buffs for self and others.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-03, 02:13 PM
Are you limited to core stuff? If your GM is open to third party options, [Super/Rogue] Genius put together an Archetype Package system for removing and (with GM approval) switching roughly-equivalent class abilities. If you look at the sidebar here, you'll see that the Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/super-genius-games/adept-godling/archetypes/rogue-genius-games---adept-godling-archetypes/youxia#TOC-Ranger) has the Woodland Spellcaster package, for their spellcasting and a couple of other things, and the Witch has the Hexen package for their hexes. Maybe you could swap out the former for the latter?