PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Krolshar: A race born of Gnolls and Krenshars (PEACH)

inuyasha
2015-08-03, 01:19 PM
Krolshar
Though commonly mistaken for their parent race of gnolls, krolshar are something else entirely. They are born of strange mating between the gnolls and krenshars, a thing only possible through strange druidic magic. They have a strange hatred for gnolls however, seeing them as the most evil and wicked beings imaginable, the krolshar themselves however are not prone to good acts themselves, which is why nobody is sure of how this trait came to be.
Physical appearance:
Krolshar appear as tall, lean gnolls with an especially thin and feral look to them. Their skin seems to be tightly stretched over their face, as if it at any moment could flay into ribbons from the sharp features of the bone beneath. Their fur is most often brown, though grey and black are also possible. An interesting thing about Krolshar is that first generation ones (from the direct union of a krenshar and gnoll) are all albinos with fur as white as snow and eyes as red as blood. Frequently there will be bare patches on a krolshar from the previous injuries and scars it has gotten.
Society:
The krolshar are a race of nomads, travelling in bands through the wilderness, scavenging whatever they need to survive. They will take all chances available to slay or torture any gnolls that cross their path.
Relations:
As previously stated, krolshar have a bad relationship with gnolls, and will gladly kill any available ones in their vicinity. With other races they are treated the same as gnolls, which causes them great emotional pain and anguish, which will frequently cause them to lash out.
Alignment & Religion:
Krolshar are most often evil, and krolshar do not have their own religion. Most krolshar spellcasters are druids, though some are born as sorcerers.
Adventurers:
Krolshar adventurers are most often rangers, barbarians, or druids as they tend to cling to the wilderness far from the hell that is civilization
Racial Traits:

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
Krolshar are strong and lithe, but their minds are not well developed and they are often viewed as outcasts by almost all societies.
Monstrous Humanoid: Krolshar are monstrous humanoids and are immune to many effects that only target humanoids as a result
Racial Hit Dice: A Krolshar begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
Racial Skills: A krolshar’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Move Silently, Listen, and Spot.
Racial Feats: A gnoll’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
+2 natural armor, Krolshar have a tough hide from both of their parents
Darkvision 60ft.
Frightening visage:
Once a day as a standard action, a krolshar can flex its facial muscles and bellow at the top of its lungs. Any creature within 30 feet that can hear the bellow must succeeds on Will save (con based) or be Frightened for one round. Creatures that make their save are instead Shaken for one round.

Automatic Languages: Common, Gnoll. Bonus languages: Orcish, Goblin, Abyssal, Infernal, Giant, Undercommon
Favored class: Ranger
LA: +1

*the reason for this being that a healthier krolshar, one with better organs and lungs can muster a much louder bellowing noise and can flex it's facial muscles more without discomfort

Race
Adulthood
Barbarian
Rogue
Sorcerer
Bard
Fighter
Paladin
Ranger
Cleric
Druid
Monk
Wizard

Krolshar
12 Years
+1d4
+1d6
+2d6

Race
Base Height
Height Modifier
Base Weight
Weight Modifier

Krolshar, Male
5'
+2d10
*2d4

Krolshar, Female
4'10
+2d10
*2d4

Krolshar

Size/Type:Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Gnoll)
Hit Dice:2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative:1
Speed:30 ft (6 squares)
Armor Class:17 (+1 dex, +2 Natural, +4 Hide Armor), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple:+2/+3
Attack:Short Bow +3 ranged (1d6/x3) or Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+1/x3)
Full Attack:Short Bow +3 ranged (1d6/x3) and Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+1/x3)
Space/Reach:5ft/5ft
Special Attacks:Frightening Visage
Special Qualities:Darkvision 60ft.
Saves:Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills:Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Spot +3
Feats:Alertness
Environment:Any warm
Organization:Solitary, Party (2-5), pack (6-10), Tribe (11-20)
Challenge Rating:1
Treasure:Standard
Alignment:Usually Chaotic Evil
Advancement:By character class
Level Adjustment:+1

Krolshar Paragon
The Krolshar Paragon is a fearsome sight indeed, one of wrath not immediately violent like the orc, but instead hidden and brooding in the shadows of hatred and fear. They hone their abilities to a startling degree and are able to cause much more mayhem than one of their standard kin
Game Rule Information
Krolshar Paragons have the following statistics
Abilities:
Dexterity is important for the Krolshar paragon as they are meant to hide in the shadows and wait for the most opportune time to strike. Wisdom and Constitution are important as well because these can keep a Krolshar paragon alive and alert.
Alignment:
Any chaotic.
Hit Die
D8
Class Skills:
The krolshar paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points At Each Level
4 + Intelligence modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
Krolshar paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as all light and medium armor.

Level
Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

+1
+2
+0
+0
Stalker, Horrific Face

+2
+3
+0
+0
Greater Frightening Visage

+3
+3
+1
+1
Ability boost (+2 Dexterity)

Stalker (Ex)
A Krolshar Paragon gains a +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.

Horrific Face (Ex)
A Krolshar paragon gains ability focus (frightening visage) as a bonus feat, giving a +2 on the DC of his frightening visage

Greater Frightening Visage (Ex)
A Krolshar paragon can use his frightening visage 3 times a day starting at 2nd level. Instead he may choose to use all 3 uses in one go, causing an affect equal to scare as cast by a 4th level sorcerer and he is sickened for 1d4 rounds after using it as it is strenuous to him, the DC is still constitution based. After he does this he may not use any form of frightening visage for 24 hours.

Ability Boost (Ex)
At 3rd level a Krolshar paragon gets a +2 to his dexterity score. This is a permanent bonus.

My first concern is this, should I include racial hit dice from it's Gnoll and Krenshar parents? I don't really like racial HD much, and this race has no abilities that are too dependent on it, so should it be included?

Also how do the charts and the paragon class look? It's my first time making things like that for a race and I want to make sure they look alright

The Mentalist
2015-08-04, 05:42 AM
No real review as yet but at first blush I love it.

Debihuman
2015-08-04, 06:50 AM
Considering their background, I am surprised that these are not Monstrous Humanoids rather than Humanoids. Their background is rather icky (forced breeding programs don't generally sit well).

Gnoll strength is +4 and if these are more feral, why are they weaker? Also, these should have 2 racial HD as both parents have 2 racial HD.

BTW, their ability stats based on an average of both parents would be Str 13, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 7, Wis 11, Cha 10; this gives the racial bonuses of +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, - 4 Int.

If there is no Constitution bonus, then don't add +0 to stat block.

Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp); if you update to 2 HD, this would change as well.

Attack lines also don't look right. See SRD for how that works. Str bonuses are not added to ranged weapons. Also, if you add racial hit die, this would also change.

Attack: Battleaxe +1 melee (1d8+1/×3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/×3); if you update to 2 HD this would change as well.

I'm not a fan of the mutated scare ability of the Krenshar. It breaks the rules unnecessarily (possibly because you didn't like the charisma penalty it should have since the parent ability scare is based on charisma). It doesn't need to be magical to be effective. It's probably better as an Extraordinary ability. This is based on the 1 HD.

Frightening Bellow (Ex): Once a day as a standard action, a krolshar can flex its facial muscles and bellow at the top of its lungs. Any creature within 30 feet that can hear the bellow must succeeds on Will save (DC 10) or be Frightened for one round. Creatures that make their save are instead Shaken for one round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Debby

inuyasha
2015-08-04, 11:13 AM
My reasoning for the mere +2 to strength was from going off of the racial adjustments, not the actual stats. I will change the stats but I think the strength should remain at +2 because they only look feral because of their thin, skull-like faces, being "feral" does not necessarily imply strength. Also because of their skull like faces I think I'll keep a -2 to charisma, I don't like the idea of these guys having a pretty face and nice social skills.

Fixed the frightening visage

The monster statblock is always a tad odd because I use this (http://dspeyer.dyndns.org/monster_builder.html)and I forget to alter the statblock afterwards.

Debihuman
2015-08-05, 04:29 AM
In racial traits, you describe skills inaccurately because individuals may vary a good deal. Its Monstrous Humanoid racial hit dice give it skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Feats in racial traits mentions gnoll and should be Monstrous Humanoid now.

I think you also mean to say that Listen, Move Silently and Spot are always class skills for krolshars.

In languages you have Orcish. The language is Orc.

Age chart should be Random Starting Age. You are missng the vial statistics chart for age categories (Middle Age, Old, Venerable) and how long they live.

Debby