PDA

View Full Version : How can I equip a psicrystal?

Temennigru
2015-08-03, 02:29 PM
I know it sounds silly, but my psycrystal has been constantly wandering off with the group while I'm left behind cleaning up their mess. Are there any items that I could give my psicrystal that can make it useful? (like a ring or anything equipable on it)

Fouredged Sword
2015-08-03, 02:40 PM
Well, it should have the same number of items slots as a normal person. Everything has the same NUMBER of slots. You may have to ask your DM the type of slots he allows you to give it.

Maybe a bunch of belt slots?

TheNivMizzet
2015-08-03, 02:40 PM
What do you mean by wandering off? That doesn't seem right, similar to how familiars don't leave their owner.
But on topic I would bring up the party wizard having Chain of Eyes, and using the psicrystal as a potential second pair of eyes and warning.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-03, 02:51 PM
Nearly every creature has the same number of item slots as a humanoid-shaped creature (Rules Compendium p83-84). Even the psicrystal has one of each slot for boots, belt, shirt/vest, armor/robe, shoulders, neck, wrists, hands, face, head, and two rings, provided its shape includes enough extremities to serve as each of the arms/legs/head/fingers slots. All items except for armor, shields, and weapons will automatically resize to accommodate the creature equipping them.

Generally you should always give your psicrystal a Healing Belt (MIC). A psicrystal, unlike a familiar, gains actual hit dice as you level up, hit dice which grant it feats and skill points. Give it max ranks in UMD and give it some wands, especially Eternal Wands (MIC), as well as Dorjes of useful powers.

Temennigru
2015-08-03, 03:04 PM
What do you mean by wandering off? That doesn't seem right, similar to how familiars don't leave their owner.
But on topic I would bring up the party wizard having Chain of Eyes, and using the psicrystal as a potential second pair of eyes and warning.

Last time my party broke their boat and we were beached. While I fixed the boat with the crew, they wandered off with my crystal into the woods.

A psicrystal, unlike a familiar, gains actual hit dice as you level up, hit dice which grant it feats and skill points. Give it max ranks in UMD and give it some wands, especially Eternal Wands (MIC), as well as Dorjes of useful powers.

That does not seem to be the case, especially since

A psicrystal has the same skill ranks as its owner, except that it has a minimum of 4 ranks each in Spot, Listen, Move Silently, and Search. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals)

As for feats, I'm not really sure about that.

Rubik
2015-08-03, 03:14 PM
That does not seem to be the case, especially since

A psicrystal has the same skill ranks as its owner, except that it has a minimum of 4 ranks each in Spot, Listen, Move Silently, and Search. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals)

As for feats, I'm not really sure about that.A psicrystal gains skills according to its master's skills, and it gains HD as its master gains levels. All intelligent creatures (which psicrystals are) gain hit points, feats, skill points, and ability score bonuses unless otherwise noted, and the only "otherwise noted" on a psicrystal's entry is its skill points and hit points.

As for stuff to get your psicrystal? A psychoactive skin of proteus made using Words of Creation. ML 8 Metamorphosis at will. If you use your imagination, this comes in handy like you wouldn't believe.

Temennigru
2015-08-03, 05:12 PM
A psicrystal gains skills according to its master's skills, and it gains HD as its master gains levels. All intelligent creatures (which psicrystals are) gain hit points, feats, skill points, and ability score bonuses unless otherwise noted, and the only "otherwise noted" on a psicrystal's entry is its skill points and hit points.

As for stuff to get your psicrystal? A psychoactive skin of proteus made using Words of Creation. ML 8 Metamorphosis at will. If you use your imagination, this comes in handy like you wouldn't believe.

Don't have that much money at lvl 9.
Might just get a few items that give me damaging SLAs or any other form of attack.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-03, 05:28 PM
Well, it should have the same number of items slots as a normal person. Everything has the same NUMBER of slots.
That's incorrect.
Armless Creatures: Creatures without forelimbs, such as snakes, don't have the arms, hands, or rings body slot See Magic Item Compendium on page 219 for more restrictions. A psicrystal is also headless and legless.

Rubik
2015-08-03, 05:29 PM
Don't have that much money at lvl 9.
Might just get a few items that give me damaging SLAs or any other form of attack.To tell the truth, it's really cheap to buy some equipment for a Planar Binding and assorted costs. Offering the efreeti you pull in two Wishes granted for you in good faith in exchange for one Wish granted to the efreeti (with the stipulation that it neither try to corrupt your Wishes in any way, nor use its Wish to screw you over) with the option of future cooperation between you with the same stipulations in place would be perfectly affordable, even at level 9.

Or you could just keep such an item in mind for later in your career.

But for now, how about a couple of Diminutive-sized Words of Creation'd eternal wands of Alter Self? If you have ranks in UMD, your psicrystal can turn itself into any suitable construct of up to 4 HD 2/day each, including animated objects, for 40 minutes on each charge. That's 160 minutes of utilitarian awesomeness. And the best part is, your psicrystal keeps its psicrystal granted abilities, feats, and skills.

Jack_Simth
2015-08-03, 05:48 PM
I know it sounds silly, but my psycrystal has been constantly wandering off with the group while I'm left behind cleaning up their mess. Are there any items that I could give my psicrystal that can make it useful? (like a ring or anything equipable on it)
Skin of Proteus is the first thing that popped into my head... but then, you did mention level 9 later. Hmm. Well, it's telepathic, and maybe gets it's own feats, so you might consider having it get the Mindsight feat (Libris mortis), as that essentially gives it a form of blindsense which prevents getting surprised.

Fouredged Sword
2015-08-03, 06:05 PM
That's incorrect. See Magic Item Compendium on page 219 for more restrictions. A psicrystal is also headless and legless.

Yes, it lacks some types of slots, the number should remain the same. A beholder lacks a number of slots (such as boots), but has extra slots of another type to bring the total number back to the correct value.

Jack_Simth
2015-08-03, 06:20 PM
But for now, how about a couple of Diminutive-sized Words of Creation'd eternal wands of Alter Self? If you have ranks in UMD, your psicrystal can turn itself into any suitable construct of up to 4 HD 2/day each, including animated objects, for 40 minutes on each charge. That's 160 minutes of utilitarian awesomeness. And the best part is, your psicrystal keeps its psicrystal granted abilities, feats, and skills.
Mind you:
1) It'll still have a strength score of 1 (Alter Self doesn't change ability scores)
2) It'll have to be within one size category of Diminutive (so Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny)
3) It doesn't get any of the good stuff from the new form (like Ex attacks).

Rubik
2015-08-03, 06:45 PM
Mind you:
1) It'll still have a strength score of 1 (Alter Self doesn't change ability scores)
2) It'll have to be within one size category of Diminutive (so Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny)
3) It doesn't get any of the good stuff from the new form (like Ex attacks).I can think of a TON of objects of Tiny or smaller size that could be ridiculously handy to have around, especially ones that are animated.

Jack_Simth
2015-08-03, 09:15 PM
I can think of a TON of objects of Tiny or smaller size that could be ridiculously handy to have around, especially ones that are animated.
Oh yes, there's lots of useful things you can do, don't get me wrong. But there are also some rather steep limitations.