PDA

View Full Version : Movies D&D Movie Announced & to be set in the Forgotten Realms

dropbear8mybaby
2015-08-03, 06:47 PM
Warner Bros. Pictures and Hasbro Partner on Dungeons & Dragons Feature Film Franchise Based on Iconic Property (http://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/warner-bros-pictures-and-hasbro-partner-dungeons-dragons-feature-film-franchise-based)

(August 3, 2015 – Burbank, CA) – Warner Bros. Pictures, Hasbro’s Allspark Pictures and Sweetpea Entertainment are moving forward on a feature film franchise based on Dungeons & Dragons, the world’s most popular role playing game. Hasbro’s Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis, Courtney Solomon and Allan Zeman of Sweetpea Entertainment, and Roy Lee (“The LEGO Movie,” “How to Train Your Dragon”) are attached as producers.

Highlighting the priority being given to the project, Warner Bros. Pictures already has a script, written by David Leslie Johnson (“The Conjuring 2,” “Wrath of the Titans”).

BannedInSchool
2015-08-03, 06:58 PM
[insert pic of Senor Chang cosplaying as Drow]

DigoDragon
2015-08-03, 06:59 PM
What I've wanted for a long time is an animated movie based on the IDW D&D (http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/dungeons-and-dragons-1/) comic that came out around the time 4th edition did. Those were pretty iconic characters with a D&D feel, and the stories were entertaining (with many great moments of awesome action and hilarity).

dropbear8mybaby
2015-08-03, 07:07 PM
I just realised that Courtney Solomon is still involved.

Yeah, it'll suck :)

JadedDM
2015-08-03, 07:13 PM
What could possibly go wrong?

Kitten Champion
2015-08-03, 07:16 PM
Although that the guy who's doing this did The Conjuring 2 and Wrath of the Titans script isn't exactly great news, I'm cautiously optimistic I suppose.

I've always thought the D&D brand could be a launching pad for talented fantasy authors to get their scripts considered where otherwise a studio would be afraid to take a risk on some new property in the relatively expensive realm of genre films.

Lurkmoar
2015-08-03, 09:41 PM
I just realised that Courtney Solomon is still involved.

Yeah, it'll suck :)

Huh. None of the projects he's done have set the world on fire. The only non D&D film he's been involved with that I've seen was An American Haunting, and I thought it was kind of meh.

JoshL
2015-08-03, 09:58 PM
WAY better than the last film (at least on par with Wrath of The Dragon God, which I love, but let's face it, they can do better than that), or just as entertainingly bad, either way, I'm in! I've watched the original more times than I should admit to. It never stops being funny!

The best part of that is this:

Solomon and Zeman will be attached to produce all Warner Bros.-produced Dungeons & Dragons film and television productions

I know they mean at best tv movies like the last two, but I can dream of a series.

Bulldog Psion
2015-08-03, 10:01 PM
Not this again.

This piece of news has single-handedly made me wish fervently for a facepalm emoticon on these forums.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-08-03, 10:33 PM
Why on Terra would you pay good money for the D&D license when you could make a generic fantasy film and get the D&D fans anyway?

Kitten Champion
2015-08-03, 10:51 PM
Why on Terra would you pay good money for the D&D license when you could make a generic fantasy film and get the D&D fans anyway?

D&D has wide brand recognition outside of the fandom. That's literally all you need. Hasbro's trying to do it with basically anything of note that they own because Transformers has been absurdly profitable and they hate me personally.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-08-03, 11:02 PM
You really think so? Because about the only people I know who know what D&D is are former gamers, almost all of whom quit the hobby because they couldn't stand D&D. Putting D&D on this movie means I am not going to see it, nor am I bringing my family to see it (the kids wouldn't want to go anyway, because it isn't WoW).

Kitten Champion
2015-08-03, 11:28 PM
You really think so? Because about the only people I know who know what D&D is are former gamers, almost all of whom quit the hobby because they couldn't stand D&D. Putting D&D on this movie means I am not going to see it, nor am I bringing my family to see it (the kids wouldn't want to go anyway, because it isn't WoW).

Yes.

it's not important for people to know what D&D is precisely, it's important that people have heard of it. Besides that D&D isn't just the RPG anyways. It was that cartoon I'm sure some people are nostalgic for, that first movie that was terrible but existed nonetheless, a bunch of computer and video games made under the brand of varying success, and some books which have spent time on the bestseller list. In short, it's in general pop culture as a reference most people will get. I knew what D&D was well before I started gaming or knew anyone who did.

Remember. these are people who made a big-budget summer action-er out of the Battleship™ board game. Not because someone came to them with a grand artistic vision using such an unusual property that simply had to get made regardless, but purely because I'm likely to have heard of it and thus have some pre-existing recognition or awareness of its existence... that's enough to justify the investment.

Hell, someone just announced they're making a Pez movie. A Pez movie!

Reddish Mage
2015-08-03, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure how popular D&D is in popular culture...these days when I talk about dungeons people think I'm referring to something that could be found in the 50 Shades sequel.

Seriously, every single D&D movie, have been set in really generic fantasy worlds with absolutely no faithfulness to D&D conventions, I seem to recall apprentices using teleportation magic, and wizards healing. Also, the acting and special effects have been simply horrible and the characters are stock without backstories whose entire personalities can be summed up by their race or class. It doesn't give me succor to know that the script-writer previous works includes "Wrath of the Titans" and the "Conjuring 2."

Hollywood is full of bad movies that seek to cash in a franchise by telling a very generic story and grafting some names onto it. That seems to be the rule especially when something doesn't actually have a singular story and plot like "Dungeons and Dragons."

What's really too bad, is that anime is full of series that are obviously based on D&D pretty religiously and execute the concept excellently whether played seriously (Record of the Lodoss War), or for pure comedy (Slayers, Louie the Rune Soldier) and video games whether branded D&D or just based on the fantasy system and concepts do just fine. Oh, and my favorite webcomic is based on D&D.

Hopeless
2015-08-04, 03:54 AM
[insert pic of Senor Chang cosplaying as Drow]

This so needs a like button!:smallbiggrin:

So Sweetpea is involved like Stan Lee is involved (as in a cameo role?).

Hope they cast Ed Greenwood as Elminster so we have someone who knows all about the Forgotten Realms and comes across as amicable... after all Ian McKellen can only be called upon for oh so many roles and you don't them asking why's Gandalf not involved if he's seen in the movie!:smallamused:

So hopefully and by that I mean absolutely no Drizz't do like that suggestion about basing it on the IDW comics now what was the name of that series with the female adventurers you know the completely politically incorrect one!:smallbiggrin:

So care to guess where it will be based around?

The Sword Coast would be a nice bonus what with the new computer game and setting book coming out about that area of Faerun, but will they avoid the Beholders as tame Guard Dogs this time round?

And will the dragons make Smaug look lame?

turkishproverb
2015-08-04, 05:33 AM
I think i'll wait for a trailer to decide.

And will the dragons make Smaug look lame?

Please, 1970's Smaug makes Smaug look lame.

Hopeless
2015-08-04, 05:58 AM
I think i'll wait for a trailer to decide.

Please, 1970's Smaug makes Smaug look lame.

But where does that compare with the Sean Connery voiced dragon or dragonslayer for that matter?

dancrilis
2015-08-04, 06:49 AM
Seriously, every single D&D movie, have been set in really generic fantasy worlds with absolutely no faithfulness to D&D conventions, I seem to recall apprentices using teleportation magic, and wizards healing.

In fairness I could see quite a lot of DnD in Book of Vile Darkness (in tabletop tone) - which I also felt was a good fun movie offering some positive things rarely seen in most movies.

On this one?
Forgotten Realms could be interesting setting the movie off a game, novel or adventure path could make for a good movie.
For something new (I don't think it has been covered) they could go into the return of Bane as a good starting point for a movie Political/Religious/Investigation around the agents of the the Church of Iyachtu Xvim, the Church of Cyric the Zhentarim and the Harpers (and some rare few still loyal to Bane perhaps amougst all groups).

Eldan
2015-08-04, 06:55 AM
Dragonheart still had the best dragon ever. No, I refuse to look up pictures of what the effects actually look like, because I know the memories of ten year old me are perfect and that dragon was perfectly photorealistic and awesome.

Kitten Champion
2015-08-04, 07:17 AM
Dragonheart still had the best dragon ever. No, I refuse to look up pictures of what the effects actually look like, because I know the memories of ten year old me are perfect and that dragon was perfectly photorealistic and awesome.

Actually, it's less bad than you probably think it is. Sure, Draco looks like a digital effect like something from the Phantom Menace, but its a competently produced and rather expressive one.

Seeing Dennis Quaid headlining the movie is more odd, I forgot he was in it.

BannedInSchool
2015-08-04, 08:10 AM
Heh, comparing dragons reminds me of a bit in Rick Cook's series. Someone transported to a fantasy land from our own sees a flight of dragons being ridden on exercises and it brings a tear to their eye. Then they go down to the stables to sneak a closer look at the dragons, but they're loud, ornery, stupid pooping beasts getting in fights over deer carcases and the magic is broken. :smallwink:

Cikomyr
2015-08-04, 08:42 AM
D&D has wide brand recognition outside of the fandom. That's literally all you need. Hasbro's trying to do it with basically anything of note that they own because Transformers has been absurdly profitable and they hate me personally.

I thought that brand had been utterly destroyed in movie making circles following Jeremy Iron's D&D?!

Kitten Champion
2015-08-04, 09:03 AM
I thought that brand had been utterly destroyed in movie making circles following Jeremy Iron's D&D?!

Not according to Greg Silverman, President of Creative Development and Worldwide Production for Warner Bros. He sees the immense opportunities to delight and thrill both fans and moviegoers new to the property, and is overjoyed by the prospect.

These people - well, Hasbro at least - made Transformers 2: Dear God Let It End Already and still haven't collectively quit their jobs in self-loathing, so a poor quality and pretty cheap film from like 15 years ago isn't going to deter anyone from seeing dollar signs when Fantasy is kind of trending at the moment.

Cikomyr
2015-08-04, 09:22 AM
Not according to Greg Silverman, President of Creative Development and Worldwide Production for Warner Bros. He sees the immense opportunities to delight and thrill both fans and moviegoers new to the property, and is overjoyed by the prospect.

These people - well, Hasbro at least - made Transformers 2: Dear God Let It End Already and still haven't collectively quit their jobs in self-loathing, so a poor quality and pretty cheap film from like 15 years ago isn't going to deter anyone from seeing dollar signs when Fantasy is kind of trending at the moment.

...ah.

So basically, they are dragging the D&D name in a back alley to do whatever they want to it just for a cheap buck.

Man.. WotC are asstards to entrust development into their hands. Its like any Video Game studio agreeing to sell mivie rights to Uwe Bolt.

dropbear8mybaby
2015-08-04, 10:14 AM
Man.. WotC are asstards to entrust development into their hands. Its like any Video Game studio agreeing to sell mivie rights to Uwe Bolt.

That's harsh. You need to look into the history of the movie rights. The problem lies squarely with Courtney Solomon. He's basically a huge turd who owns the rights and has screwed WotC/Hasbro/TSR for years.

Tal_Akaan
2015-08-04, 10:57 AM
Seriously, every single D&D movie, have been set in really generic fantasy worlds with absolutely no faithfulness to D&D conventions...

What D&D conventions does a movie need to be faithful to?

In my opinion, D&D is just the vehicle used to tell a story in game form. The same story could be told using many different game systems, people use D&D because they prefer that rules system over others.

My point is, to be faithful to the D&D brand all they need to create is a quality fantasy genre movie, and the D&D link only needs to be there to get their hands on the setting, ie. Forgotten Reals, Eberron (many times have I envisioned a live action Eberron movie, or series), Dark Sun, etc.

Now, if by D&D conventions you mean D&D tropes, Lawful Stupid Paladins, then I partially agree with you. The tropes are wonderful for those who play, but trying to shoehorn them into a movie could make it cheesy, see previously made D&D movies for reference.

From what I have been reading since this announcement people have been getting so hung up on the fact that it's a D&D movie that they forget that the best D&D movie that can be made is simply a quality fantasy movie. As I said before, in my opinion, D&D only needs to be there to get you the setting.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-04, 11:01 AM
Curiously enough there is a thread over at the 3e forums in which someone mentioned that apart from D&D novels (and the game itself obviously) there are no wizards in media that are remotely similar to D&D wizards (even jack Vance's wizard have some significant differences) so I think this would be a great opportunity to remedy that. Honestly a scene where the Wizars is preparing spells would be enough for me.

dancrilis
2015-08-04, 11:20 AM
Curiously enough there is a thread over at the 3e forums in which someone mentioned that apart from D&D novels (and the game itself obviously) there are no wizards in media that are remotely similar to D&D wizards (even jack Vance's wizard have some significant differences) so I think this would be a great opportunity to remedy that. Honestly a scene where the Wizars is preparing spells would be enough for me.

You did see people occassionally preparing magic from books in Buffy and Angel, they also has the low level wizard is weak but a high level one is not.

But yes by and large most if it was just magic works sorcerer style.

Giggling Ghast
2015-08-04, 11:22 AM
I paid $2 to see the original Dungeons and Dragons movie.

I felt cheated.

Cikomyr
2015-08-04, 01:08 PM
I paid $2 to see the original Dungeons and Dragons movie.

I felt cheated.

I brought a very pretty girl, who happened to be a fellow science fair presenter.

She never called me back

Rogar Demonblud
2015-08-04, 05:14 PM
Really, given how much of the things gamers associate with D&D are generic fantasy tropes/creatures, what does the studio get out of the deal? A vague awareness that D&D exists, with a significant proportion of responders associating it with the 80s (as in old, dull and passe). A few D&D-specific pieces of IP* to use or ignore. And the use of the Forgotten Realms** as a setting.

The audience will likely be 90+% norms, which means less than 10% game geeks. And, ex hypothesi, we can assume the game geeks will show up no matter what because it's a fantasy movie. So the question is what does this deal do towards getting that other 90% in the theater. I mean, if someone types 'D&D Movie' into Google, they will very quickly find out that there's already been three movies, and they were all in the Direct-to-DVD tier of quality. They'll also find any number of discussion boards aflame with nerdrage over something or other, which also isn't going to make a positive impression.

*The IP that becomes available are some pretty niche things like beholders and illithids. So, you either waste screen time explaining what these are to the 90%, and boring the 10%, or you skip it, which is acceptable to the 10% but befuddling to the 90%. Or you can toss illithids into the 'humans in rubber masks' camp and relabel beholders 'death-eyes' and only have to worry about them having the abilities you want them to have (see nerdrage comment above). Plus, it is known that you can have beholders without using the name (see Big Trouble in Little China).

**For the 90% of the audience, name dropping the Realms is worthless, because one made up name is no different than another. For the 10%, it will provoke waves of outrage over every mistake, because They're Doing It Wrong!(TM)

Finally, what does Hasbro hope to get out of this? Marvel Studio's been making the kind of money CEOs dream of, and I haven't heard that it's lead to an uptick in comic sales. Blizzard or another video game company could make more of a push that your first month of WoW/whatever is free, but D&D's buy in price is dinner out for a family of four and a significant amount of time trying to locate not only a group that plays, but one that'll let you in.

Vercingex
2015-08-04, 05:33 PM
As long as it's in the Forgotten Realms, the Underdark would be the most distinctively D&D place to set it. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen, because I don't think anyone is brave or stupid enough to put a drow in a live action movie.

BannedInSchool
2015-08-04, 07:01 PM
I want to say that I think the best D&D movie would be one that just assumed all the D&D specifics without making a point of them. Just pick a good story about the characters and go with it like that's just the world they're in and tell that story. Don't try to explain everything. If it's important it'll be evident in the story.

dropbear8mybaby
2015-08-04, 07:49 PM
Marvel Studio's been making the kind of money CEOs dream of, and I haven't heard that it's lead to an uptick in comic sales.

Comic books have taken off in a pretty massive way from what I've heard and most people I've talked to about it seem to be attributing it to the huge jump in awareness and popularity that the movies have brought to the super hero genre.

This movie won't get anywhere near that level of interest, though, simply due to the fact that it already has "crap" written all over it due to the people involved. Until Solomon dies or passes the rights to someone competent, we'll only ever get bad movies that make the hobby look bad.

Cikomyr
2015-08-04, 08:25 PM
Thing is, what is a "D&D movie"?! Is it standard Sword & Sorcery tale? Generic fantasy? In that case, is Lord of the Rings a D&D movie?

Id be happy to learn they are making a Forgotten Realm movie. As in, based in FR. Saying its a D&D movie is meaningless unless you actually point out the rule system, because that's what D&D ultimately is. A rule system.

Order of the Stick is a D&D comic, because it actually calls out the rule system it lives by. Makes fun of them, use them in the way of making and shaping the story.

A D&D movie has to acknowledge the rules to be truly D&D. And its fine; either go the Gamers road (the single best D&D movie to date) of having in- and out of-character characters. Or go the OotS route, with the characters somehow knowing their rules, but still being their own selves.

Otherwise, it'll be Generic Fantasy Movie #453

dropbear8mybaby
2015-08-04, 08:46 PM
A D&D movie has to acknowledge the rules to be truly D&D.

I don't think it has to break the fourth-wall in order to be representative of D&D. D&D most definitely has a particular style and atmosphere to it that is different to standard fantasy fare. I can think of a dozen ways just off the top of my head how it could showcase those differences in a movie. Think about how different a D&D wizard is to Gandalf, for instance? The spells alone could differentiate a standard fantasy movie from a D&D movie.

Cikomyr
2015-08-04, 09:02 PM
I don't think it has to break the fourth-wall in order to be representative of D&D. D&D most definitely has a particular style and atmosphere to it that is different to standard fantasy fare. I can think of a dozen ways just off the top of my head how it could showcase those differences in a movie. Think about how different a D&D wizard is to Gandalf, for instance? The spells alone could differentiate a standard fantasy movie from a D&D movie.

I have a real hard time seeing how you could fit the niche between "Wizards are mystical peoples" of classic fantasy tales, and the "Everyone is a wizard/has magic power" like Harry Potter.

I mean.. that niche exist. But it's usually exploited more in gaming (which is concerned about game balance) than in storytelling.

Milo v3
2015-08-04, 09:04 PM
It can show it's D&D just be using vancian casting... Nothing but D&D has vancian casting.

Drakeburn
2015-08-04, 09:22 PM
Thing is, what is a "D&D movie"?! Is it standard Sword & Sorcery tale? Generic fantasy? In that case, is Lord of the Rings a D&D movie?

Id be happy to learn they are making a Forgotten Realm movie. As in, based in FR. Saying its a D&D movie is meaningless unless you actually point out the rule system, because that's what D&D ultimately is. A rule system.

Order of the Stick is a D&D comic, because it actually calls out the rule system it lives by. Makes fun of them, use them in the way of making and shaping the story.

A D&D movie has to acknowledge the rules to be truly D&D. And its fine; either go the Gamers road (the single best D&D movie to date) of having in- and out of-character characters. Or go the OotS route, with the characters somehow knowing their rules, but still being their own selves.

Otherwise, it'll be Generic Fantasy Movie #453

I have to agree with you. D&D is pretty much a game where you can play a game about fantasy. Of course, D&D has some iconic creatures that I've yet to see in any other fantasy movie (Beholders, dark elves, liches, etc).

It would be cool if the film was like the Gamers: switching out between the fantasy world and the real world (much like how The Princess Bride was done).

And I find it interesting how there are a few references to D&D in some pop culture although the game isn't actually called Dungeons and Dragons (Dexter's Laboratory, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and the list can just go on and on).

Overall, I'm not sure how bad this new D&D film is going to be, since I was really hoping for Peter Jackson to get involved in the project (although ever since The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have gotten done, I wonder what he is up to now).

So Transformers, GI Joe, Battleship, Dungeons and Dragons, My Little Pony........ Seems like the only thing Hasbro hasn't made into a movie is Magic the Gathering. Let's just hope they don't get any ideas.... :smalleek:

Sith_Happens
2015-08-04, 11:14 PM

Even better, include a (very) brief discussion between the wizard and someone else about which spells they need that day.

Seems like the only thing Hasbro hasn't made into a movie is Magic the Gathering. Let's just hope they don't get any ideas.... :smalleek:

Too late. (https://company.wizards.com/content/twentieth-century-fox-and-hasbro-develop-magic-gathering-new-film-franchise)

Cikomyr
2015-08-05, 06:06 AM
Even better, include a (very) brief discussion between the wizard and someone else about which spells they need that day.

You would need it to either serve the story, be funny, or actually serve any purpose. Otherwise its just gratuitous fanwank.

Killer Angel
2015-08-05, 06:16 AM
What could possibly go wrong?

You're ironic, right? :smalltongue:

Uwe Bolt isn't so bad (I can't believe I've typed it), when it's not involved in movies based on video games.
At least, "Rampage" was decent.

Cikomyr
2015-08-05, 06:42 AM
Uwe Bolt isn't so bad (I can't believe I've typed it), when it's not involved in movies based on video games.
At least, "Rampage" was decent.

So you agree with me? Its moronic for anyone to sell IP movie rights to that creative black hole of a man.

It only damages the brand.

Sith_Happens
2015-08-05, 09:04 AM
You would need it to either serve the story, be funny, or actually serve any purpose. Otherwise its just gratuitous fanwank.

The purpose it would serve is obvious: once you've introduced the idea that a character has to "load" their spells the door is open for them to be "out of ammo" at some crucial moment later.

Killer Angel
2015-08-05, 12:35 PM
So you agree with me? Its moronic for anyone to sell IP movie rights to that creative black hole of a man.

It only damages the brand.

All in all, I'd say yes. My reference to "Rampage" was merely that even a broken clock, will be right 2 times a day.

BannedInSchool
2015-08-05, 12:47 PM
And now I'm wondering if one could work in a theme of "the luck of the die" in a way that would both be serious to general audiences but also an in-joke for gamers.

warty goblin
2015-08-05, 01:52 PM
[Vayla the Elf] Grimzor, can your magic reveal which of these twenty almost identical doors conceals the Pinky Ring of Vecna, and which deadly traps?

[Grimzor the Wizard] Alas, I only have a single spell slot remaining strength for a single spell left, and can only eliminate eliminate one door.

[Baruk the Dwarf] Better do it lad. I don't like magic, but I like these odds even less!

{Grimzor gestures some CGI effect at the twenty doors, all of which are triangular and numbered 1 through 20 in Draconic runes*. One of them flashes red.}

[Grimzor {exhausted}] It is not behind that door.

[Urt the Farmboy Hero] Very well, let fate guide my hand {he reaches for a door}

[Billy Sly the Rogue] Wait! I have a single lock pick left! Using this, I can eliminate another door!

[Baruk the Dwarf] Better do it lad. I don't approve of thievery, but I like these odds even less.

{Billy the Sly does something off-camera to the door Urt was about to open. A door pops open, and he narrowly avoids being incinerated by a sudden flame-blast}

[Urt] That was close! Now may destiny guide my -

[Sir Vile the Recently Redeemed Evil Henchman] No! In repayment for not killing you, I will take this risk!

{Sir Vile opens a door and is promptly squashed flatter than a pancake by a falling boulder}

[Urt] Alas for my friend!

[Vayna the Elf] I have a ten foot pole. Allow me to prod a door.

[Urt] Go right ahead.

{Vayna pokes a door. The pole is instantly shredded by a whirling blade}

[Urt] Thanks. Any other ideas?

[Baruk] No lad, we're all out of henchmen and consumables. 'Tis a roll of the dice now!

[Urt] Then may Fortune guide my hand!

{Urt opens a door, coincidentally marked '20', and discovers the Pinky Ring of Vecna}

[Vayna] Thank Pelor! It was absolutely critical that you recover the Ring!

In unrelated news, a large number of gamers have apparently been wandering out of movie theaters, crying tears of blood, and hurling themselves under municipal buses.

*In the special features accompanying the DVD, one of the writers says that 'this is a great shout-out for the fans,' causing fans everywhere to check into the Federal Hobby Protection Program.

BannedInSchool
2015-08-05, 02:21 PM
Yeah, a little more high-concept than that. :smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2015-08-05, 04:27 PM
Really, they should do something with either Dark Sun or Planescape. Those are the two settings that are distinctive enough to be material for a good plot. But of course, you'd also need a good script and a good director, which is probably asking far, far too much.

russdm
2015-08-06, 12:49 AM
I have never heard of the writer, and neither film that this writer had apparently done gives me any hopes. "The Conjuring 2" sounds like a crappy horror movie, honestly. "Wrath of the Titans" sounds like something from the 70s or 80s or even the 60s. Old School Crappy B-Movie.

We need a much better writer, so maybe the guy or guys who did some of the most best fantasy movies that got great movies. Or maybe Joss Whedon, since he knows how to make the movies funny. Whoever writes really needs to how to make plot and character driven stories, because without that the movie is simply going to suck.

The best decision would be to have the guys would the Gamer movies that so many people like be the ones to help write the story to give it finesse. At least that way you get a sense of somebody who actually cares being involved.

They need to avoid having anything to do with whoever directed the First D&D movie, instead they may want to talk with the guy who did the second or some director that has made some good films that have gotten Oscars for best director. No George Lucas types here. We want this movie to make people think that D&D is cool, not garbage people.

Any FR movie is going to really seem like a copy of LOTR and Hobbit films, so it needs more to differentiate. Maybe something involving dragons or dragon cults or undead leading undead? Something that actually says something like why this D&D:FR:The Movie is not another fantasy movie. And one that is definitely not Games of Throne-ish, as that ship has sunk already. (GoT is not that great a series really)

At this point, the only reason for Hasbro to make a D&D movie is so that thousands or millions of gamers will commit suicide.

Hopeless
2015-08-06, 05:31 AM
From what's been said I presume such a movie must be set in the Sword Coast deal with something similar to what's been described in that computer game.

For those not willing to check the main cast are members of the Order of the Burning Dawn overnight their order is all but wiped out by the actions of a mysterious figure known only as the Ashen Priest setting out they try to hunt down their nemesis and hopefully find answers as to why their order was targeted and rescue any other surviving members who wasn't at the Keep when the Ashen Priest attacked...

Did I mention they get attacked on the road to Luskan end up having to infiltrate the city via the sewers earning the enmity of one of the street gangs before seeking out information on their foe?

Now that done properly would make a good movie, but they need to keep it simple and make the special effects effective and not spend too much when its not necessary something I don't think they're capable of.

Still anyone know what their Chainmail script was about?

Bulldog Psion
2015-08-06, 05:56 AM
Yes, that Sword Coast plot could be a good basis for a movie -- if they avoided histrionic Hollywood flourishes, had interesting, well-drawn characters, and decent dialog.

Instead, though, I'm sure we'll get another cheap Grade Z movie that is a seppuku-inducing embarrassment to anyone who's ever rolled polyhedral dice. :smallannoyed:

Kitten Champion
2015-08-06, 06:12 AM
Instead, though, I'm sure we'll get another cheap Grade Z movie that is a seppuku-inducing embarrassment to anyone who's ever rolled polyhedral dice. :smallannoyed:

I don't know about the seppuku, but I strongly doubt they won't put any money into it.