PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help!Cleric/Wizard/Incantatrix, Divine Metamagic and Arcane spellcasting at level 14.

bdf1992
2015-08-03, 08:45 PM
Hey everyone, I have a level 10 character who will be leveling up to 14th level due to our DM wishing to speed things up a bit. I've asked and I can retrain anything as long as a give reason for it, As per what I already have it's pretty crazy, but let me know if you have any ideas of what i can add to it.

For anyone fearing I'm ******* over my DM fear not, even with characters this powerful we still are likely to be murdered, that's just the way combat goes for us.

I've leveled into a Divine Metamagic user with 63ish uses of turn undead, but I can use divine metamagic on my arcane spells as well, but it's cast as one level lower. This is for persistent spell.
I've been given the ability to spontaneously cast any spell I know as long as it's one spell below the slot I'm giving up to cast it.
My cleric levels and wizard levels have been ruled to stack for access to spells, So I'll have access to 7th level Cleric and Wizard spells.
I will likely be leveling into Incantatrix, retraining any wizard levels that puts me over the requirements to enter it, which Will make me 1 Cleric / 4 Wizard / 9 Incantatrix
I will be granted access to the Chosen of Mystra template from forgotten realms campaign settings book (page 247).

If you are uncertain of what any of these do let me know and I can clue you in.

I'm looking for basically anything you have in mind no matter what source it's from. There is so much available that even with the amount of searching i have been doing I can't decided 100% what I want to try.

(Heavy faerun lore incoming.)
As per the story of my character, his name is Atlas Manx, The Herald of Magic. I am the Son of Midnight Manx, before she acceded to godhood as Mystra, the god of magic. As per my father I am assuming it to be Kelemvor Lyonsbane, again before he acceded as the god of death. My character is not only the son of two powerful people but also born on a powerful magical node.
He began life as a cleric of mystra, not yet knowing she was his mother he was just drawn towards magic. Seeing the power of arcane magic at the magefair of waterdeep I quickly learned to cast as few simple spell that day and many mages were watching me, One of them took me on as their student.
That person was Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun and he taught me until it became time for my to go on my travels. Blackstaff contacted Storm Silver hand and I traveled with her while continuing to learn. Finally when she could teach me no more I headed out on my own.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-03, 09:25 PM
You can use Metamagic Effect and Cooperative Metamagic from Incantatrix to add Persistent Spell to your spells with a Spellcraft check. You can take ten on that Spellcraft check, so you'll automatically succeed in using those on spells of up to a particular level depending on your Spellcraft bonus. Cooperative Metamagic can be used on your own spells outside of combat since the action economy system only exists during initiative. Use those abilities up on persisting lower level spells and use Divine Metamagic on the higher level spells that you can't make the Spellcraft check to use those on.

Get a standard Strand of Prayer Beads that's had the Bead of Smiting removed, it should only cost you 9,000 gp per DMG pricing. Use the Bead of Karma to get +4 caster level before casting your buffs each day. Get a Monk's Belt to add your Wis bonus to your AC.

Get a Greater Metamagic Rod of Maximize, and use it with DMM: Persistent Holy Star (SC) three times. Each Holy Star can be in a different mode, once one has its Spell Turning mode used up it will need to be kept in another mode but the spell won't be discharged. With the Rod of Maximize, the Spell Turning mode absorbs seven levels of spells, the Protection mode is unchanged but +6 AC is amazing, and Fire Bolt mode deals 54 fire damage. You can switch all three to Fire Bolt mode to shoot for 162 damage when necessary. If you have additional 7th level slots consider using one on Arcane Spellsurge from Dragon Magic, and the rest on more Holy Stars, a non-Maximized one can be kept in Protection mode.

Other spells to persist include Greater Invisibility, Magic Circle Against [Alignment], Divine Power, Ray Deflection and/or Friendly Fire, Swift Fly, Wraithstrike, Thunderlance (with Lesser Rod of Extended Greater Magic Weapon), Shield (wth Lesser Rod of Extended Magic Vestment), Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (whole party), Mass Lesser Vigor (whole party), Elation (whole party), etc. You should also have Extended Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire, Extended Delay Poison, Extended Greater Luminous Armor (with Lesser Rod of Extended Magic Vestment), Extended Heroes' Feast (on the whole party), etc.

Also get a 6th level Pearl of Power and a Metamagic Rod of Extend, every other day prepare Energy Immunity twice and use the pearl and rod to cast it three times, on the days in between prepare Energy Immunity and Superior Resistance, cast those with the rod and use the pearl and rod to cast Energy Immunity again. Each will last 48 hours and you'll be immune to all five energy types and have a +6 to saves for two 6th level spell slots each day and those two items.

If you pick up Fell Drain and/or Fell Frighten, use them with Persistent Death Armor, Fire Shield twice, and Cloud of Knives as many times as you can. Any time anything hits you and the Death Armor and Fire Shields will each deal damage, inflict a negative level, and inflict a Shaken condition which will escalate to Frightened and Panicked for each of them that damages them. Each Cloud of Knives that hits will also inflict a negative level, but I wouldn't bother using Fell Frighten with those. Note that each spell only inflicts a negative level or a Shaken condition on a particular creature one time, but it's such a severe debuff it won't take very many, especially since they go running for ten rounds as soon as they hit you!

Use Power Attack with your +4 Thunderlance two-handed, take Combat Reflexes since it has a 20 ft. natural reach, your Wraithstrike will make it so you ignore most of your opponents' AC bonuses, and Greater Invisibility makes it so they don't get their Dex or dodge bonuses either and can't target you with spells that don't use an attack roll. Any ranged attacks against you can be redirected to another target with Friendly Fire from Exemplars of Evil, and any melee attacks will inflict three negative levels and make them flee in terror. Plus anything that makes an attack roll will have a 50% miss chance due to the invisibility, your AC will be the highest in the party, and extraplanar creatures can't even approach you due to the Magic Circle. Plus you'll have just about every one of the necessary item effects (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) covered by your spells.

PseudoPanda
2015-08-03, 10:09 PM
Everything!

Yeah that covers a lot. Some good spells to up your spellcraft are Divine Insight (clr 2) and Guidance of the Avatar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a). I would also suggest Greater Blink (wiz 5, SpC) instead of (or, heck, in addition to) Greater invisibility since it provides protection from spell effects and lets you go through solid objects and isn't completely shut down by True seeing or see invisibility. Add persisted Greater Mirror Image for kicks (Wiz 4, PHBII). Magic Circle Against X is a touch spell so probably can't be persisted without reach spell or something similar but otherwise go to town.

Lesser holy/infernal transformation (clr 4, SpC) turn your type into outsider, then you can persist a Draconic Polymorph (Wiz 5, Drac) to pick a nice outsider form to be in all day, you don't even have to persist the former spell if your DM rules the transmutation effects don't stack. Have you considered Dweomerkeeper from the Complete Divine web enhancements? Very good flavor for a Mystra follower and gets you supernatural spells. The rest is just gravy.

Brova
2015-08-03, 10:35 PM
One thing of note is that you should be able to apply divine persistent to spells with metamagic effect. That's not game changing, but it drops your DC from "very high" to "high", leaving you more space to optimize random stuff.

Another spell I personally like with persist and fell drain is body of the sun. The AoE is a little small, but you get to whack people with a negative level for each active casting just for being next to you. And a fell drain body of the sun is (IIRC) 4th level.

Feats wise, pick up Improved Familiar (Mirror Mephit), Uncanny Forethought, and Item Familiar. If you stack your levels such that your first seven were all Wizard or Incantatrix, your Mirror Mephit familiar can create a duplicate of you with a Mirror Mephit familiar. You see where that's going. Uncanny Forethought may seem redundant with your spontaneous casting, but it has two advantages. First, it's not costing you a higher level spell slot. Second, it drops casting time. That's pretty nuts with things like major creation. Finally, Item Familiar is nuts. Skill boosts (yay Spellcraft!), XP boosts, and special abilities are all nice. Pick a use activated magic item of a useful spell which can activate itself (thanks to sapience).

Make sure you're using the Frank Cheat to double up on spell slots and uses of metamagic effect. Every other day you should persist then extend some buffs for a 48 hour duration, giving you 50% more metamagic effect. Similarly, rest after casting any persistent buffs so you can prepare spells again.

Consider swapping four levels of Incantatrix for four levels of Dweomerkeeper. It's very much on theme and supernatural spell is a very good downtime ability. It will let you make every possible effect permanent with supernatural permanency, repeatedly awaken yourself for fun and profit (mostly even more turning), and let you use and abuse various spells with XP costs or long casting times.

Similarly, you might consider a circle magic option. It's a little more likely to get vetoed as you have to have the appropriate regional feat, but there's some very real power there. Mostly with spell engine shenanigans. Also, holy words that can kill gods. Note the synergy with simulacra from a Mirror Mephit.

There are some loops you can pull with planar binding, but they are very broken. One that's kind of cool is using wishes from Efreet to get a 6th level Pearl of Power to cast planar binding again. A little less good than using the wish directly, but gets you some long term power. Consider a squad of bound Dao to spam save or dies. Carrying a dozen of those around can spike your offensive output dramatically, though admittedly for only a few rounds a day. You can also get a Mirror Mephit this way, though it won't allow recursion, barring some shenanigans with Spell-Stitched and Necropolitan.

Finally, there's an obscure piece of web content that contains a spell called mirror move. That spell is very good, especially on an item, as it allows you to take any core Fighter feat for free. There aren't a lot of core Fighter feats that are good, but many of them are worth it when free. Especially because you can temporarily snag non-core ones with heroics as you likely meet the prerequisites now.