PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Longer lasting Int bonus than Fox's Cunning?

Mr Adventurer
2015-08-04, 03:12 AM
Hi all,

Is there a spell that grants a bonus to Int that lasts longer than Fox's Cunning?

Polymorphing is not allowed for the purposes of this exercise.

Troacctid
2015-08-04, 03:52 AM
Unless you count Fox's Cunning + metamagic, then no, there is not.

Normally you'd use a Headband of Intellect, which is essentially a permanent Fox's Cunning.

2015-08-04, 05:18 AM
"Extract Gift" (level 5 spell) is permanent, but only grants 1/4 the donor demon's Int score as an enhancement bonus, so Fox's Cunning will be better unless you've somehow located and captured a ludicrously intelligent demon. Furthermore, it takes an hour to cast, the demon gets SR and a Will save to negate it, and has an incredibly expensive material component (as is fitting for a permanent bonus gained from demon magic). It should be noted that a quick read of the spell doesn't seem to forbid the caster from being the willing creature that gains the bonus, but it would be best to check, just in case.

"Necrotic Empowerment" (level 8 spell) lasts 1 round/level, and grants a +8 enhancement bonus to Intelligence, among several other impressive benefits. However, casting the spell requires that you possess a Mother Cyst, and the spell is appropriately tagged as [Evil]. As most round/level buffs do, it takes a standard action to cast.

"Greater Visage of the Deity" (level 9 spell) lasts 1 round/level and grants a +2 or +4 (depending on your choice) untyped bonus to Intelligence, along with a slew of other wonderful buffs (including untyped bonuses to your other stats).

"Wish" (level 9 spell) can give you permanent Inherent bonuses to stats, although stacking it up high requires multiple castings, and Wish is a very costly spell unless you've found a way to use it as a Spell-Like Ability.

That's all the decent spells I found that either last longer or give a bigger bonus. Technically, there's also this Dragon Mag spell that might be decent (Transfusion), but I don't have the magazine it's in, so I can't say for sure one way or the other.

TiaC
2015-08-04, 07:19 AM
I think that's all for spells, but this list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=176.msg573#msg573) has some other sources.

Urpriest
2015-08-04, 07:22 AM
Note that spells like Fox's Cunning lasted a matter of hours in 3.0, so the short duration is presumably intentional.

Diarmuid
2015-08-04, 07:56 AM
They also had a variable to the bonus, 1d4+1 IIRC.

TiaC
2015-08-04, 08:16 AM
They also had a variable to the bonus, 1d4+1 IIRC.

Of course, this just led to the Empowered Empowered Chained Bull's strength boosting the whole party all day.

Allianis
2015-08-04, 11:38 AM
As a quick side question on to the original question. If you use Fox's Cunning on yourself for a +4 INT bonus, and that bonus puts you in the next category for bonus spells, do you automatically get a new spell slot? I would understand this not working for prepared spellcasters like wizards, but maybe beguilers?

For example, a level 12 beguiler with an 18 INT would cast Fox's Cunning on himself. This would sacrifice a level 2 spell slot to get him an extra level 5 and level 6 spell slot, not to mention the boost in save DC's. Am I getting this right?

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked Eagle's Splendor which specifically calls out sorcerers who are also spontaneous casters. So this question is answered...no, they can't.

Mr Adventurer
2015-08-04, 04:05 PM
Thanks folks, some good stuff here. Greater Visage of the Deity is a pretty boss spell (hence why it's 9th) - I'm not a Cleric but I can UMD a scroll.

Full disclosure: I'm a gestalt Warblade//Factotum, so I get to add Int to practically everything...