PDA

View Full Version : The Big Old Homebrewer's Idea Thread

spikeof2010
2015-08-04, 06:42 AM
Welcome one and all to the homebrew idea thread. I saw a few threads on minmax along the lines of 1001 things I need to finish up, and the yet to be updated to-do list of milo v3. Seeing as some of these ideas just stay idle, and some aren't really campaign specific, I think it'd be best to just have a general to-do list/idea thread for everyone to see and possibly take their interest in it, and possibly a good place to PEACH miscellaneous bits of homebrew.

A few from me to get the ball rolling.

Barrier based class, as in barrier spells, and spells in the shape of barriers
Captain Falcon, the base class
Magitech type ways to implement long distance communication with non-standard divinationmancy
A slime monster that adapts to its surroundings
A feat chain dedicated to making yourself appear less than real

nonsi
2015-08-04, 07:49 AM
Terminator: the liquid version from Terminator II (not the chick from T3).

Temotei
2015-08-04, 06:15 PM
Barrier based class, as in barrier spells, and spells in the shape of barriers

The exarch of the emerald shield (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?221055-3-5-Base-How-do-I-kill-thee-with-barriers-Let-me-count-the-ways-(PEACH!!)) probably warrants a look. Morph Bark pegs it at tier 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?391953-Morph-Bark-s-NEW-AND-IMPROVED-Homebrew-Tier-Compendium-3-5-PF).

Jormengand
2015-08-04, 06:18 PM
Someone who acts as a conduit for someone else's abilities.

Magitech type ways to implement long distance communication with non-standard divinationmancy

I am working on it. However, the project is a pretty big one.

The Vagabond
2015-08-04, 08:23 PM
A magic theif that steals the capabilities of the opponents they're facing.
A time-mage.
A pure defensive oriented class.

Pelican
2015-08-04, 09:48 PM

Doesn't the spellthief already do this?

Anyways...
A more complete selection of real animals, including some exotic animals like giraffes and such and more mundane ones like chickens and rabbits.

Highly customizable races with lists of features and abilities for players to choose from, for example, a robot race that reflects a huge variety of different robot designs, or a general "monster" race (think Monsters Inc. maybe...) following the same principle.

The Vagabond
2015-08-06, 08:27 AM
Doesn't the spellthief already do this?
I'm thinking less "Spell Like Abilities," more like extraordinary abilities and monster abilities.

nonsi
2015-08-06, 09:19 AM
A time-mage.

Well, this one's no mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18777492&postcount=25), but it's as tied to time as any class I've ever seen.

Doesn't sound like too much fun.

Ryunosuke
2015-08-06, 11:38 AM
Captain Falcon, the base class
So...a martial fist fighter with the ability to perform flaming kicks/punches with a big blast finisher attack?

The Inventor (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/931936) is a class that helps to work in all manor of advanced technology into any 3.5 setting world and it even features a telepathy headband, a morse code device and 2 way radios and the like as well as vehicles and more!

A slime monster that adapts to its surroundings

Like it takes on the properties of what it touches like Kevin Levin style? like touches lava gains burning hot red colored slime?

A feat chain dedicated to making yourself appear less than real
uh....can you be a little more specific?

As a creature? template? spell? (prolly the easiest way)

Someone who acts as a conduit for someone else's abilities.
Like a character familiar? spells are cast through them? or like Dr. Fate's helmet where the powers only work through a selected body/conduit?

I don't know about completely stealing them, but I have come across a Mimic class variant before that learns the special abilities of their enemies (randomly but unwanted ones can be forgotten to try again) but I'll have to find it again.

Uh...the Knight from the Player's handbook II? Their capstone is the single greatest self preservation ever made for 3.5

arixe
2015-08-11, 11:35 PM
what system if its pathfinder give your slime favored terrain and a changing subtype to match so if its say in a hot mountains becomes a seething ball lava, or underground it becomes translucent and stealthy. oh and if it sky just give it tiny little butterfly wings lol or it swallowed a bird

nonsi
2015-08-12, 12:11 AM
As a creature? template? spell? (prolly the easiest way)

Definitely creature.
It's type is either "Ooze" or "Construct" (or both :smallamused:).
All (Ex) abilities (superior senses; auto-weapon-prof.; immunities & resistances galore...)
It can polymorph into anything of Large size or smaller, form any non-mechanized equipment, mimic material traits, etc. (all of which require touch to "process").

Ryunosuke
2015-08-12, 11:28 AM
Definitely creature.
It's type is either "Ooze" or "Construct" (or both :smallamused:).
All (Ex) abilities (superior senses; auto-weapon-prof.; immunities & resistances galore...)
It can polymorph into anything of Large size or smaller, form any non-mechanized equipment, mimic material traits, etc. (all of which require touch to "process").
I am fairly certain the two types share most base status/condition immunities but I think Constructs have better racial HD (bab, saves, etc). I'll have to check on that and as for powers...how dangerous CR wise would you like this thing?

nonsi
2015-08-12, 12:43 PM
I am fairly certain the two types share most base status/condition immunities but I think Constructs have better racial HD (bab, saves, etc). I'll have to check on that and as for powers...how dangerous CR wise would you like this thing?

It's not about preferences.
Since the idea was thought of by others, I think it would only be fair to stay as true to the movie as possible.

T-2000 was pretty mean. I'd say about CR 10-ish mean (no less for sure).
Just remembered that:
1. It should definitely have regeneration.
2. Enough cold damage slows it down. A bit more damage immobilizes it for a period of time.
3. Enough heat damage forces it to its ooze form (and slows it down). About twice as much starts dealing lethal damage (basically the only way to kill it - as per the movie).