PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Styles

NotVeryBatman
2015-08-04, 10:21 AM
I'm working on a Beast Master/Eldritch Knight progression and it looks like I'll wind up with an extra fighting style. I'm looking at Mariner to start the ranger off with, especially since I'm taking athletics from the sailor background.

But I'm wondering if Defense's bonus should/would stack with Mariner's bonus. I can't tell if that's cheesy or not, or outright against the rules. I feel like this could be the same bonus I'm taking twice. Thanks for any suggestions.

Naanomi
2015-08-04, 12:22 PM
Since Mariner is in unearthed arcana, there are not likely to be any formal rules about the interaction. If allowed to begin with, stacking them seems to be possible on base observation, what combat strategy are you going for where defense is so important (but not heavy armor) over offensive options?

Princess
2015-08-04, 12:38 PM
It doesn't seem like it should be against the rules, but if your DM has an issue with it, one of the weapon based fighting styles is probably better anyway. I'd go for one of those anyway.

NotVeryBatman
2015-08-04, 01:16 PM
Well, the character's looking to stay in medium armor to avoid disadvantage on stealth. Plus, this character's geared to seriously invest in casting (max out wisdom early, then constitution, then burn an ASI for war caster). Avoiding injury will avoid constitution checks, so will relying on the beast for offense. I'm strongly considering equipping her with a lance (high damage die, reach, and lighter than a pike) also with the aim of avoiding concentration checks.

I'm looking at a wolf for the beast. Pack Tactics seems more valuable over the raw power of a panther or giant badger. Keen Hearing and Smell appeals more than Keen Smell. Plus there's the flat 5% chance to trip it shares with the panther. The lance might work towards cross-purposes when it comes to Pack Tactics. I can't tell from the rules whether Glaives and Halberds suffer from disadvantage from opponents at 5 ft.

So overall, I'm looking for her to cast spells and keep them for maximum duration. That seems to start with not getting hit, and then continues with being able to take the hit. In terms of combat, I'm inspired by the Almogavars. Spear, javelins, and slings; light (medium) armor combine for a ranging, marauding, frontier fighter.

I'm not sure if this answers your question.

Ralanr
2015-08-04, 02:09 PM
Defense. Have fun.

ZenBear
2015-08-04, 04:51 PM
Well, the character's looking to stay in medium armor to avoid disadvantage on stealth. Plus, this character's geared to seriously invest in casting (max out wisdom early, then constitution, then burn an ASI for war caster). Avoiding injury will avoid constitution checks, so will relying on the beast for offense. I'm strongly considering equipping her with a lance (high damage die, reach, and lighter than a pike) also with the aim of avoiding concentration checks.

I'm looking at a wolf for the beast. Pack Tactics seems more valuable over the raw power of a panther or giant badger. Keen Hearing and Smell appeals more than Keen Smell. Plus there's the flat 5% chance to trip it shares with the panther. The lance might work towards cross-purposes when it comes to Pack Tactics. I can't tell from the rules whether Glaives and Halberds suffer from disadvantage from opponents at 5 ft.

So overall, I'm looking for her to cast spells and keep them for maximum duration. That seems to start with not getting hit, and then continues with being able to take the hit. In terms of combat, I'm inspired by the Almogavars. Spear, javelins, and slings; light (medium) armor combine for a ranging, marauding, frontier fighter.

I'm not sure if this answers your question.

Interesting character. What is the backstory and general inspiration for a Ranger/EK multiclass?

I would suggest finesse weapons and bows instead of a lance (which doesn't that really suck when on foot?) or other polearm (they don't suffer disadv at 5ft). Pick up Med Armor Master for 18 AC in half-plate with no stealth disadv and get your DEX to at least 16. Mariner/Defense is a cool combo that should work by RAW and RAI. Ask your DM for a finesse longspear if they'll allow it, or rapier/shield for max AC and maybe Defensive Duelist.

Princess
2015-08-04, 05:07 PM
Interesting character. What is the backstory and general inspiration for a Ranger/EK multiclass?

I would suggest finesse weapons and bows instead of a lance (which doesn't that really suck when on foot?) or other polearm (they don't suffer disadv at 5ft). Pick up Med Armor Master for 18 AC in half-plate with no stealth disadv and get your DEX to at least 16. Mariner/Defense is a cool combo that should work by RAW and RAI. Ask your DM for a finesse longspear if they'll allow it, or rapier/shield for max AC and maybe Defensive Duelist.

Shield negates the mariner ac bonus, and you need a free hand to cast spells until you take the right feat.

Ralanr
2015-08-04, 05:12 PM
Defense requires armor. Mariner cannot use a shield.

Plus only champion (11?) can gain more than one fighting style.

JNAProductions
2015-08-04, 05:21 PM
Multiclasses can gain several styles pretty easily.

Ralanr
2015-08-04, 05:27 PM
Multiclasses can gain several styles pretty easily.

I thought by RAW you cannot gain another style even if you multiclass into another fighting style class unless specifically stated.

Actually yeah, it says you can't take a style more than once, even if get to chose one later. The exception being champion 10 and the rule, "specific beats general".

JNAProductions
2015-08-04, 05:29 PM
Can't take the same style more than once.

Ralanr
2015-08-04, 05:31 PM
Can't take the same style more than once.

It says you can't take an option more than once, doesn't mean the same option.

It's really worded weird. If I'm wrong then champions level ten ability is a waste of ink.

ZenBear
2015-08-04, 05:49 PM
Shield negates the mariner ac bonus, and you need a free hand to cast spells until you take the right feat.
Good point. Bows, then.

It says you can't take an option more than once, doesn't mean the same option.

It's really worded weird. If I'm wrong then champions level ten ability is a waste of ink.

Champion is the only way to get 2 w/o multiclass, which is optional.

Ralanr
2015-08-04, 05:50 PM
Good point. Bows, then.

Champion is the only way to get 2 w/o multiclass, which is optional.

Really? I've never heard such a ruling.

Naanomi
2015-08-04, 06:00 PM
Yeah you can collect multiple styles by multiclassing. What is EK giving you, if your beast is going to do most of the attacking?

Consider using net to support your pet (sometimes)

NotVeryBatman
2015-08-04, 06:45 PM
The inspiration is a little meta. The idea is that the EK progression is a "straying" of sorts from the rigid path of of a straight Ranger. She's leery or mistrustful of her magical abilities and is taken in by the straightforward merits of going more towards dedicating herself to combat (additional ASIs, action surge, second wind). However; upon reaching 3rd level with slots already on hand, the call back to the Art and it's more raw benefits (Shield, Chromatic Orb, Shocking Grasp) should lead to an epiphany and an acceptance of what's she's good at. Mechanically this is probably folly because her intelligence isn't going to be much above 10 (unless I burn an ASI). The plan is to bail on EK at level 6 (just before it gets interesting) and finish out with 14 levels of Ranger (if things progress that far).

If glaives don't suffer disadvantage at 5 ft. Then glaive it'll be (hoping for a forbearance from the DM allowing it to be a piercing weapon, pikes are ridiculously heavy).

I am extremely confident that RAI on styles is that you can't take Archery twice, or Defense twice. Which is why I asked if taking Defense and Defense Diet (Mariner) would be cheating.

Given the focus on Wisdom (16), she's quite the brute. 15 Str (because it's the only ability that gets a benefit on the odds), 14 Dex (because it's the maximum bonus you can get in armor without burning a feat/ASI, and getting two 16s hurts other stats) and 14 Con (looking to up that once Wis is maxed out). The Wisdom thing kind of hurts the Medium Armor Master piece (a keystone of my last build) since I'd need two ASIs to make it work completely (and being half on doesn't appeal). With the two styles, and a decent Dex (14) I can get to 18 in only a chain shirt (cheap and light). I may be taking this weight thing too seriously, but I like the idea on coming in with less than 75 lb. of gear.

ZenBear
2015-08-04, 07:11 PM
Weight is a DM dependant issue. If your DM is the type to track that then you will have time to figure out how heavy you want to go when the time comes.

I still think bows are the best option for you even if you don't get the FS because reach doesn't amount to much without Polearm Master.. With a bow you could put that 15 in DEX so Med Arm Master bumps you to 16, dump STR to 10-11, boost CON a bit more and stay well away from the enemy casting spells and barking at your puppy. Still, your choice.