PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Arms

Galahad
2007-05-05, 02:43 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are rules for creating and using weapons for a character that has more than two arms. I believe its in Savage Species, but im not sure. Could someone please post these rules for me?

More specifically, the rules for a Thri-Kreen (4 arms) with an 18 str who wants to use a greatsword 4-handed.

If i remember correctly (i don't think i do, which is why im posting) using an extra arm on a weapon raises the str modifier by .5 and ads another multiplier to power attack. (so for str, 1.5 for 2 hands, 2 for 3 hands, and 2.5 for 4 hands, and for power attack 2:1 with 2 hands, 3:1 for 3 hands, and 4:1 with 4 hands) Could someone please verify this?

I think a custom weapon was required for this however.

Thanks in advance.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-05, 02:55 AM
You would indeed raise your strength modifier by .5; any weapon crafted for nonstandard hand configuration must also be a masterwork weapon. Savage Species does not anywhere specifically mention Power Attack multipliers, though.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-05, 05:08 AM
I think the limit was like 8 arms for what would normally be a Zweihander. 3.0's "Large Weapon", and 3.5's "Two-handed Weapon". Basically, anything that is about the same length as the user's height. You sacrifice a bit of blade length for more haft/handle. No mechanical difference in the weapon in that regard, just the Strength bonus that you get to add.

Galahad
2007-05-05, 05:12 PM
Could have sworn there was somethin about power attack somewhere...

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

The_Snark
2007-05-05, 05:18 PM
Savage Species was 3.0, and 3.0 didn't double the bonus for Power Attack while using a two-handed weapon, I think. That's probably why.

Jarchh
2007-05-06, 05:45 AM
If I were the dm i'd scale up the power attack as you suggested. It sounds fair enough.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-06, 12:17 PM
If I were the dm i'd scale up the power attack as you suggested. It sounds fair enough.

Bad idea. Thri-Kreen + Greatsword + Power Attack + Leap Attack + Shock Trooper = penalty to AC (because of shock trooper), 6*penalty in extra damage.

Person_Man
2007-05-06, 02:30 PM
If i remember correctly (i don't think i do, which is why im posting) using an extra arm on a weapon raises the str modifier by .5 and ads another multiplier to power attack. (so for str, 1.5 for 2 hands, 2 for 3 hands, and 2.5 for 4 hands, and for power attack 2:1 with 2 hands, 3:1 for 3 hands, and 4:1 with 4 hands) Could someone please verify this?

As far as I know, you are incorrect. Power Attack in 3.5 rules has no provision for more then 2 hands.

If you want lots melee damage, I can think of at least half a dozen different builds that do not involve LA and do not involve questionable rules. What exactly do you want to do?

Jaltum
2007-05-06, 04:39 PM
Logistically, I don't see how you could get more than three hands on a sword hilt, and even then you'd have to hold it more or less like a spear--not a lot of ability to swing without getting in your own way.

If you're committed to the multiple arms, I think a two-handed sword and two off-hands would be the way to go for... I don't want to say realism, but. I just can't imagine how it would work otherwise.

EDIT: Maybe two two-handers would make sense if you could keep the rhythm going.

The_Snark
2007-05-06, 04:51 PM
Logistically, I don't see how you could get more than three hands on a sword hilt, and even then you'd have to hold it more or less like a spear--not a lot of ability to swing without getting in your own way.

If you're committed to the multiple arms, I think a two-handed sword and two off-hands would be the way to go for... I don't want to say realism, but. I just can't imagine how it would work otherwise.

EDIT: Maybe two two-handers would make sense if you could keep the rhythm going.

There's a weapon called a Scissors Sword in Savage Species, designed for use by Mariliths. It has multiple handles.

I think you need a specially designed weapon if you want to use it in more than 2 hands. And I'd advise against increasing the Power Attack bonus, too.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-06, 08:40 PM
As I said above, it has to be specifically crafted for your nonstandard hands (and must be masterwork).

Wizzardman
2007-05-07, 12:53 AM
Lessee...

Thrikeen with 18 strength using 1 sword in 4 hands+5 lvls fighter [for the BAB]+ rules stated above=

[2.5*4] str mod + [4*5] power atk bonus= +30 damage from the use of one feat and one sword. Before factoring in anything else, and with only a -5 to hit.

At fighter level 1, this amounts to 10 str bonus +4 Power Atk bonus, for a total of +14 damage to any weapon wielded in this manner, for only a -1 to hit.

Good grief. That's first level wipeout. Even with the Thri-keen ECL of +3 [which is what I think it is, I'm not super-sure], that's really overpowered.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-07, 09:08 AM
Thri-Kreen are ECL 3 or 4, depending on if you use the psionic or non-psionic versions.